Another "Fox Valve Covers" Thread - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #36 of 61 Old 03-13-2015, 09:54 AM

Trader Feedback: (43)
Sorry for your troubles, but I'm still laughing at that Titanic comment!

Just an old carpenter with a 94 Cobra and a Son with a nasty 85GT! I'm Show and he's Go!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37 of 61 Old 03-13-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (28)
Other threads have indicated that those vertical often bosses need to be ground down flush, at least the ones on the upper side of the cover. Fitting around the alternator (if it is in fact an issue in your case) should be a matter of only minor modification. I like the Fox covers, and would proceed with the required work since you have them. If you want the simple approach, the shorter Trickflow covers have been stated to fit without modification, and without spacers.

Andy

'95 GT Vert - Rio Red - Grey Leather - Black Top

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 61 Old 03-13-2015, 11:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thanks for the reply Trick, I too like the look of the stock vc and would rather stay with them.
I knew the Trick Flow vc would be thrown out there but seeing as how nothing else is Trick Flow on the car I think I may track down some F2A vc and do whats needed for fitment..
I have seen some grinding work on some of these covers and it looks pretty extensive. I guess I am really just looking for an easier way to do it without all the grinding, cleaning, checking fitment and repeat... who knows, may just have to bite the bullet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39 of 61 Old 03-13-2015, 02:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (24)
I had to grind down the 4 middle ribs on the lower side and the ribs in the corners on the top side before I could get them to clear. It was a lot of work, but worth it.
post #40 of 61 Old 03-13-2015, 02:43 PM

THANKS 351Wlx, that may be my way out of this lol
post #41 of 61 Old 03-15-2015, 11:05 AM

Ok so yesterday I went to 2 different fox mustang guys and taught them a bit about the valve covers! lol funny because both of these guys are top notch fox builders and really really know their stuff. That they didnt know what to use on an SN doesnt hurt their credibility as Fox guys in my book, tho I think one of the guys had done it before and may not have just remembered or got lucky! wish we could all be that way.
I ended up with one valve cover from each guy, one has F2 stamped in it and the other was F2A. Unfortunately I had a bunch going on yesterday and didnt get a chance to slide one over my rockers and today I will be throwing them in the parts washer at work... yaaa for having access to the parts washer!!!
Anyway updates will be coming so stay tuned!
post #42 of 61 Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 AM

WOOT!!! So far so good, tried them out without gaskets and they seem to be clearing the rockers... now to get the bracket on and see if the alternator clears. Hopefully I should be good to go!
post #43 of 61 Old 03-18-2015, 09:15 PM

Update... So the alt didn't clear, I had to grind a dimple and smooth out one of the steps in the vc and also ground down the bolt on the alt casing that was hitting just to be safe.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is going from SN vc to Fox vc you'll need longer vc bolts. I bought 1/4"-20x1" bolts as our steel vc only need a short bolt while the beefier aluminum vc were too thick for the original bolts.
I'll post pics later when I'm done working on it for the night.
post #44 of 61 Old 03-18-2015, 10:31 PM

Here is where I had to grind a bit to make the alt fit I also shaved down the casing bolt to be sure.

Here you can see how close everything is and once tightened, the alt hit the vc

This pic you can see the small space between the two now that vc is blue
post #45 of 61 Old 03-18-2015, 10:36 PM

These are the bolts needed to make the fox covers work on SN cars

And this is where I left it tonight. Tomorrow is another day and hopefully be done.

No grinding using scorpion 1.6RR and the F2 and F2A valve covers (I have one of each).

post #46 of 61 Old 03-18-2015, 10:38 PM

Sorry about the big empty space at the beginning of each post. Idk what's going on lol
post #47 of 61 Old 03-19-2015, 10:16 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Have you fired it up to make sure they are not kissing the covers at all? Or just going by eye at this point?

94 Canary Yellow Vert
497WHP/471TQ on a bunch of high mileage stock junk
07 Performance White/Blue stripe GT500
Please check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/c/PMPerformance
post #48 of 61 Old 03-19-2015, 10:36 AM

I haven't started it yet... will do so hopefully tonight but I've had the covers bolted on without gaskets and turned the motor over with no hitting... now with gaskets I should have a little bit more room.... fingers crossed!!
post #49 of 61 Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 AM

Good luck! I talked to my shop a min ago and no 1645 gaskets in stock to raise my covers. He said he will throw on some alum fox covers and hopefully thats a sure deal. He basically said this is the last time he wants to take this apart, so I will probably be on my own after this shot if these dont work. I let him know about your case and the part numbers and where you had to grind for clearance on the rib for alt clearance.
Hope this is a sure deal, cuz Im out of time and money.

We did have to grind to even get my stockers to fit over them and seat. Then I think they seemed good while cranking by hand, but apparently that all changed once the motor was turned on and under load. Thats why I asked if you started her up yet to test your theory on internal clearance.

Ill be on the lookout for your post tonight. Chances are I may know before you though as he is gonna chip back on my car later this afternoon/early evening.

94 Canary Yellow Vert
post #50 of 61 Old 03-19-2015, 01:27 PM

Let me know how it works out for you. I'll keep you posted for sure on my end
post #51 of 61 Old 03-19-2015, 09:27 PM

Any progress yet? The covers he has . . . One is an f2 for the pass side, the other side is different casting number.
I ordered the 1645 gaskets too. Not sure which will be better at this point. Fox or stock gas
with the thicker gaskets

94 Canary Yellow Vert
post #52 of 61 Old 03-20-2015, 07:43 AM

No I haven't fired it up yet, I had to make a few parts runs for little stuff and that's always what gets me! I will probably finish it up tomorrow.
I don't understand why hes having issues with the F2 cover... mine seem to not hit but that's just turning over by hand again we will know more once its fired up.
post #53 of 61 Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 AM

He hasnt tried the fox covers yet. No progress made yesterday due to a calloff. ONly 1 has an F2 stamping. The other has a different stamping, but looks pretty much the same to me.
Mine didnt hit when turning by hand on my stockers either. They clacked when the car was running though. They should be coming off today to see if there are any scrape marks on the covers to see where they are hitting.
I ordered the thicker gaskets to get another 1/8" on there too. We gotta grind the EGR flange a little on the intake manifold too as its really close to the cover as it is.

94 Canary Yellow Vert
post #54 of 61 Old 03-20-2015, 08:59 AM

Good point about the EGR, I noticed it was close but didn't get in the way of mounting it up.. I thought at first glance that I would have an issue but snuck it in there and all is well with the world so far.
I'm so hoping that mine don't hit once its running, I really dont want to pull them off again to clearance anything else lol
post #55 of 61 Old 03-20-2015, 09:02 AM

Actually I wouldnt let him do any more work until you had your gaskets and F2A or F2 castings as it could just lead to more work for him and more expense for you.
post #56 of 61 Old 03-20-2015, 12:28 PM

Well he was giving me the covers. Its not like I went out and bought them to try. One showed an F2A and the driver side was a different casting number. I thougt it started with an E, but not overly sure.
Were the difference also in the finish between the years? These were both the same finish. Just trying to see why these would be different year if he happened to have 2

Honestly Im more hoping that the stock covers will just work with the grinding already done along with the thicker gaskets as i dont want to hear him bitching about grinding the covers now too.

94 Canary Yellow Vert
post #57 of 61 Old 03-22-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (28)
My stamped stockers are working with FelPro 1645's. I had the "massage" the covers with a ballpeen hammer in spots, and took just the smallest corner off of one rocker, but as mentioned earlier, they're fitting with micro-clearances.

If the valve covers have different casting codes, then they are most likely of of two different cars, but I guess an overlap *could* be possible.

Andy

'95 GT Vert - Rio Red - Grey Leather - Black Top

post #58 of 61 Old 03-23-2015, 09:12 AM

Mine eventually went on with taking more off the rockers, 1645 gaskets and enlongating the holes a little to move the covers around to the perfect spot. We were able to finally get the stock covers to work and she is purring like a kitten now

94 Canary Yellow Vert
post #59 of 61 Old 03-27-2015, 11:51 AM

So I go to start the car lastnight and of course the battery was not strong enough, which I knew was starting to get weak before even beginning this swap but even after charging it all night I got nothing in the morning... replacing that today and hopefully have her first fire up with the new combo.
post #60 of 61 Old 03-29-2015, 11:49 AM

Well, new battery is in and set the timing and she fired right off! no hitting of the rockers at all as far as we can tell but just to be sure I'll pull valve covers off and check everything once again.
To me it seems the F2A and F2 valve covers are the way to go... a few things to keep in mind
1. you will need longer bolts for them, I posted what I used in this thread
2. of course you'll need to remove the baffle under the oil filler neck
3. you will also need a smaller in diameter or push in oil filler cap as the oil filler neck is now too close to the intake tube (assuming you're running an aftermarket intake like my BBK)
4. you will have to grind a very little bit of the valve cover on the outside of the pass side to clearance the alternator. I also shaved down one of the alternators casing bolts for extra clearance.

Thanks for the help to everyone in this thread and I hope I could add a little help along the way as well.
post #61 of 61 Old 05-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Great thread! Thanks for the info.

1989 Mustang GT - 302, GT40P heads, 1.71 93 Cobra Rockers, Explorer lower with Downs Ford upper, 24 lb. injectors, BBK headers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, Hi-Flow Cats, MAC Flowpath Catback, 3.55 FMS R&P, Hurst Shifter, FMS Aluminum D/S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement