1994 Lightning 5speed swap complete - idle surge issue - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-19-2006, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
1994 Lightning 5speed swap complete - idle surge issue

I recently completed the conversion of my '94 F-150 Lightning Pickup from the factory E4OD automatic to a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed. The truck is AWESOME with the 5 speed BUT... I have an idle surge issue that wasn't present before the swap. The truck starts and runs perfectly and has NO surge issues 'til it goes into closed loop. The surge is very pronounced and always the same, it drops from an 800 rpm idle to 500 rpm, up to 1000 rpm back to 500 rpm back up to 1000 and will continue to do so until it finally dies. It is difficult to drive to say the least, I have to constantly pedal the throttle at stoplights to keep it from dying. The Lightning was only available with the E4OD trans and has a Lightning specific computer. There are a few different versions of the Lightning EEC, Mine is a C3P3. It was suggested before I did the swap that the absence of feedback from the trans sensors, (and, or a combination of data from the engine AND trans sensors...), might cause some problem with driveability. I don't know that there is a possible solution based on retaining the factory Speed Density system but I thought I'd throw it out there for consideration. I am a member of the National Lightning Owners Club and this issue has been discussed at length on the message boards for Gen 1 Lightnings.
Thanks for taking the time to check this out. I completed the swap about three weeks ago and, to my knowledge, this is the first time a performance 5 speed has ever been swapped into a Gen 1 Lightning. If you know of anyone who has already done this I would appreciate any info available on their experiences. This project is very worthwhile in my opinion and I will continue to seek improvement in the driveability of my truck.

Thanks for listening!!!
Mike

Black '94 Lightning 209k Original Owner TKO 5 Speed
Gone but not forgotten...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-19-2006, 10:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Could be due to a timing issue. my guess is once it goes into to closed loop it drops timing.

post #3 of 6 Old 09-20-2006, 01:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The problem is the computer gets a pulse from the transmission to figure out when the car is stopped and when it does not get the signal the computer tries to level out the idle. One way to fix it for now is to disconnect the IAC and use the manual idle screw. The best solution is a chip burned to shut off the emission devices and the errors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-20-2006, 07:45 AM

In the EEC there are a couple of settings that tell it what transmission is in the vehicle. They need to be set for a manual transmission and the idle probably needs to be raised some. This can all be done in a chip.

Don

95 Lightning - Slow
95 Convertible 357 turbo
10.5/135 @ 3800#
SCT Tuned

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-20-2006, 04:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (192)
Mike, good to see you over here. I lurk around here a lot.

Don ^^^ really (I MEAN REALLY!!!) knows his ****!

1984 GT, 363 -RHS215 heads & Super Vic intake by MCRP, FTI cam, Carbureted, Glide, 4.30's, pump gas, street legal, N/A
Bests:1.35 60' / 6.21 /9.76 and 138.8 mph.
Thanks MCRP, UCC, FTI, Sepanek, Braswell, Racecraft, and Team Z
post #6 of 6 Old 10-05-2006, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I forget I'm registered here...
By now you probably know I'm preparing to convert to carb...
Bye Bye GT-40

Mike

Black '94 Lightning 209k Original Owner TKO 5 Speed
Gone but not forgotten...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement