pulling the computer - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-08-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
pulling the computer

I have a 1994 lightning and the tranny shifts hard form 1st to 2nd. I was thinking it might be a chip in the computer. I assume the coputer would have the chip stuck in the end of it like a later model mustang? What is the easiest way to pull the computer. Also the speedometer jumps around alot so this might also affect it so I will be pulling the rear end cover and looking at the speedo ring and checking for damage there. Any other ideas?
Thanks
Charles

C. W. Barber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-08-2006, 08:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophystock
I have a 1994 lightning and the tranny shifts hard form 1st to 2nd. I was thinking it might be a chip in the computer. I assume the coputer would have the chip stuck in the end of it like a later model mustang? What is the easiest way to pull the computer. Also the speedometer jumps around alot so this might also affect it so I will be pulling the rear end cover and looking at the speedo ring and checking for damage there. Any other ideas?
Thanks
Charles
You can see if the computer has a chip in it without having to pull it out. If you remove the kick panel by the e-brake pedal you can look up behind the e-brake pedal bracket and see the back end of the ecm and see if there is a chip installed in the J3 port.

As to the tranny shifting hard, it could have a recalibrated accumulator valve body in it causing it to shift hard.

Also you may be able to just pull the sensor from the rear axle and clean it and reinstall it and get the speedo back in order.

post #3 of 10 Old 07-12-2006, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

No chip in it, and I have the speedo fixed. I guess I will look into the valve body next.

C. W. Barber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-12-2006, 09:25 PM

does the overdrive light flash at all?? i know on mine it wouldn't shift untill like 5k sometimes and when it would finally shift it would slam into gear, and the light would start flashing too. i never figured out what it was though, just put a c4 in it
post #5 of 10 Old 07-23-2006, 09:24 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
What was the fix for the speedo jumping around?
post #6 of 10 Old 11-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (23)
I have been reading on some of the Ford truck forums that the sensor in the rear axle will cause erratic/hard shifting and affects the speedometer somehow. Although not a Lightning, my 2003 Ranger's 8.8 has this sensor in it.

On rangerpowersports.com I read a recent thread where one person pretty much thought the transmission was shot and needing a rebuild. With the symptoms described (hard & delayed shifting, shift shock at low speeds, jumping speedometer) another person suggested replacing this sensor. The original poster posted back say that it was like having a brand new truck all over again and the fuel mileage improved from what is was at the time after replacing the sensor. On my 2003 Ranger I am experiencing some low speed shift shock. I got rid of some of the other symptoms my truck was having by simply replacing the transmission filter. I bought the sensor for the rearend and hope this clears up my problem.

It costs $24 at the dealership. I'd say a cheap alternative to rebuilding an entire transmission when trying to narrow down shifting problems with these trucks (the Lightnings that is).

I wasn't too sure if the 1993 - 1995 Lightning had this sensor as well. I did a search and found this thread.

Helmut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Do you want to get the bolt out, or do you want to worry about getting your skirt dirty?
post #7 of 10 Old 11-26-2006, 04:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
if the speedo is jumping around most likely its trash in the rearend, the speedo gets its signal from a sensor and exciter ring in the rear end housing, ill bet you 100% there is trash/metal parts floating around in the fluid, i would pull the cover and check it, at least you will know whats going on in there and have fresh fluid, but dollars to donuts its the rear starting to rip itself apart
post #8 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 12:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (59)
<freshly built rear and transmission and my damn speedo jumps arround at 70 mph . i bet its the sensor . im just glad i didnt buy a new cluster to find out that it would be something different and not the cluster that was fuct. the thing that sucks about the speedo jumping is when i go to use the cruise control it kicks in and out and disgusts me

i live for 5.0 mustangs
i have alot of parts for 5.0 mustangs 87-93 pm me if you need something i may have it thanks

Last edited by FATTYTHELEGEND93 SVT; 11-27-2006 at 12:47 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 09:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (118)
I had a blown fuse in my 92 f150 that would make it shift hard. Can't remember which one..but I think it was the same one the radio was going thru.

RH
post #10 of 10 Old 11-29-2006, 04:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
There is no need to pull you rear apart. That senser in the rear is your problem, when they are going out the speedo jumps and the tranny also shifts hard or wierd.

My White 94 L had the same problem, new senser fixed it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement