need some help with my 1994 lightning - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-21-2006, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
need some help with my 1994 lightning

Well my 94’ lightning has been giving some trouble with hard starting problems here lately. When I first start my truck I usually have to crank it over a few times before it starts or even I have to wait a few minutes before it starts up.

Sometimes when I come home after work it just dies on me and then I have to wait a few minutes before it starts up again..

1. Not the starter

2. My guess would be the alternator.. I’ve been running on O and R in the N.O.R.M.A.L range at idle… it goes to M. while driving.. Only thing my truck has is two electric fans and the alarm system..

3. Something simple like my crappy battery is going out

4. My last guess would be a fouled out spark plug or something with firing system…..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-21-2006, 07:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
If it dies and restarts I have a hard time believing you have a problem with your charging system or battery. Have you done a good tune up lately? Plugs, wires, cap, rotor and maybe a coil could solve it. Another thing you could do if put a fuel pressure gauge on it while driving, just screw it onto the schrader valve on the fuel rail and make sure you maintain goold fuel pressure. If it drops before you stall you may have a weak pump or bad regulator.

94 GT bolt ons, 347 in the works
93 Lightning, Vortech S-trim
2003 Z71 Ext Cab LT
post #3 of 9 Old 06-21-2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Well I got my truck started and pulled out of the garage as soon as I reached the driveway it died and now it won’t even start at all now(it turns over fine when attempting to start but that’s it). When it did die the engine light and battery light came on afterwards.

1. Starter works fine
2. You can hear the fuel pump prime itself
3. Battery is good

I guess I’ll have to tow her to the ford service department tomorrow morning. I’m tired of screwing with it. I guess I can’t be mad cause the truck has only gave me 3 or 4 problems the entire six years I’ve owned her..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-22-2006, 08:29 AM

there was a recall on the fuel tank check valves if you havent had it done yet, good luck.

2003 Z71 Ext Cab LT
post #5 of 9 Old 06-22-2006, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanks7
there was a recall on the fuel tank check valves if you havent had it done yet, good luck.
nope, only thing i had recalled was the cruise control
post #6 of 9 Old 06-22-2006, 10:13 AM

do you have duel tanks? Well anyhow a ford dealer would have caught an open recall when it was in. I forgot to ask before, have you done any modifications.

2003 Z71 Ext Cab LT
post #7 of 9 Old 06-23-2006, 12:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I went throught this and so have many others. It is most likely the pickup in the distributor. It doesn't cause your cel light to come on, but I bet if you pull the codes it will show a 212 which will be for a Loss of PIP signal. Mine would start, then just shut off while driving. Sit a few minutes and it will start again. Go get a reman distributor from a auto parts store for about $60. If you go to the NLOC forums and do a search under the Gen 1 forums you will see this is common.

'94 Lightning 383ci w/Vortech S-Trim +too much to fit in the sig.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-23-2006, 06:48 PM

it could be the alarm system. i had a similar problem with my truck. woulb be running, then shut off and not start up, then all the sudden it would start. found out some wires were loose on the alarm system and didn't have a good connection. check to see if the alarm is in good workin order. that and check the distributor, like gn87gt2000, i had that problem w/ my moms 5.0 and mine. good luck
post #9 of 9 Old 06-24-2006, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

It took me $700 bucks from the ford service department to fix, but my truck is fixed and running great now,

Here is the list and details of stuff that was fixed on the receipt

A. surges and dies at times, now wont start just cranks…..
Stator assembly $65.09
Ignition module $140.13
Distributor gear $47.80

B. complete fuel system cleaning
Fuel induction kit $32.40
Fuel injection flush $21.46

A. Verified concern performed pinpoint testing IGN system loses. PIP and CKP when hot performed pinpoint testing replaced module and stator retested verified repair

B. performed fuel and air inlet system cleaning to reduce carbon buildup found during diagnostic testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement