Running Rich - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-14-2006, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Wink Running Rich

Just rebuilt engine 351-5.8 for 94 lightning. Runs rich when plugging in the map sensor. Will run o.k. without map sensor for approx. 3 minutes, then fouls out the plugs...HELP!!

Last edited by lghilton; 06-20-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-17-2006, 12:58 PM

Did you try replacing the map sensor. Also try a different fuel regulator.

post #3 of 10 Old 06-19-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Did replace map sensor not fuel regulator..
Thanks,
will try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-19-2006, 09:51 PM

Here's a few questions for you. Was this just a stock rebuild or did you add some performance parts? Do you still have the stock 19# injectors in it? If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge, what is the pressure at idle with and without the vacuum line hooked up? There are several things that can cause that issue.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-20-2006, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Talking

I rebuilt the original 351, 5.8 with stock 19# injectors. I also have adjustable fuel regulator. I have a gauge on it and set the pressure at 36#'s. I have a E303 roller cam. I have Eldelbrock performance heads with 202, 1.60 valves.
It will not run with map sensor hooked up. It will run without it, but not very good. The valves are noisy. The are stud mounted. I bought a new stock computer and it still doesn't run right. Have tried 5 map sensors and a new oxygen sensor on exhaust. Nothing changes. Smog pump deleted. This setup ran good on a 392 that I had in in. I turned the timing up too high on the 392
and burned up 2 pistons. That is when I decided to rebuild the 351 with the same parts and it is completely different for some reason. On the 392 I had 30# injectors and a chip burned for them. It worked fine, but when I put in the 351 I removed chip and bought a new computer. I appreciate any assistance ....Thanks, Gene

Last edited by lghilton; 06-20-2006 at 04:27 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-20-2006, 05:47 PM

I can tell you right now that the problem is the cam. If I remember correctly the E cam has 112* lobe separation angle, which is creating too much overlap and lack of vacuum. If you want to keep that cam in your current setup, you will most likely have to convert to mass air. The big thing you have to watch with speed density is the valve overlap. It would be best to have a cam with a 114* lobe separation or higher and no more than about 225* of duration @ .050. I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I'm sure that's the smoking gun.

I don't know if you have already been there or not, but the National Lightning Owners Club has a section for the gen 1 Lightnings that you would probably find very useful. www.nloc.net

Last edited by hotrod95; 06-20-2006 at 05:51 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-20-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Thanks

I sure do thank you and it probably is the cam. I will let you know and thanks again..Gene
post #8 of 10 Old 06-23-2006, 06:50 PM

i have the mass air conversion for the lightnings from down fords if you want to buy it, getting rid of it b/c i got a fast system
post #9 of 10 Old 06-25-2006, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

mass air conv

Thanks, but I am leaving it alone at this time...
post #10 of 10 Old 07-11-2006, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Went back to stock cam and now have problem with computer. Need to reset I guess. Still runs rich... I am trying to troubleshoot.
Can unplug map sensor and it runs for a while, then when I plug it in it runs rich. Went back to old stock cam

Last edited by lghilton; 07-12-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement