Friend wants a 95 L, what can you do for an intake manifold? He wants 400 n/a & more - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-18-2005, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (178)
Friend wants a 95 L, what can you do for an intake manifold? He wants 400 n/a & more

My friend is selling his 98 Z28 to get a 95 Lightning, he dosent know much about him but did used to own an early 90's F150. This is obviously different. He was about to do a cam and other stuff in his car on top of the headers, LS6 intane and other stuff he had and make upper 300's at the wheels, close to 400 rwhp. The car runs strong now, makes 351 rwhp.

He wants the truck to be able to run good on the street, not just dragstrip racing only. He wants it to still do good from a 20-30 roll to 120-130. Im not seeing 130 happening with the stock 4.10's and the low RPM range of the stock cammed engine. With a set of TFS Heads of AFR 185's or bigger and a decent cam, what would he do about an intake manifold to support the power. Really Im guessing he needs something bigger like a AFR 205 or so to make the power, big cam will probably be okay with the speed density because we have RWTD who can burn a chip for it.

I posted here because he isnt a member on the other boards and neither am I but I figured maybe somebody would have some info. Whats the weak link in the bottom end? I know the block itself is alot stronger than the late model 302 block. He wants to spray a 200 shot and see how it goes but it's gotta make some n/a power first if it's going to move.

Does anybody ever take some gear out of these things? 4.10 is alot of gear that dosent leave much for speed unless you have some RPM's to turn, which is possible, just gotta get the stock heads, cam and intake off of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2005, 07:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Hello,

I can't help with your questions, but in case no one on here is able to help you - which I seriously doubt - the NLOC would be a great source for you, they have a pretty strong Gen 1 community, as well as F150online.

nloc.net/forums
f150online.com/forums

Just FYI. Good luck.

post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2005, 08:28 AM

I'd deffinately do a stroker the rods and pistons can handle around 500 crank hp(Seen a few guys get more) and the crank and block can handle 650-700 horsepower(My buddys capri using a lightning block makes 618 at the wheels).Of course thats all asuming you don't have detonation issues.As far as the heads go i'd go with AFR 205s or TFS R heads(Probally the AFRs since they have longtubes readilly available that'll fit them),Intake i'd either have the stocker extrude honed(The stocker can make allot of power) or go with an efi spyder Vic jr.,Exhaust Pickrel performance makes hands down the best exhaust systems available for the gen1,Cam i'd get a reputable custom grinder like Camshaft innovations,FTI,Buddy Rawls,Cam motion,etc. to grind him a speed density friendly cam i don't think there's much that can be done with a chip to tune out a non sd friendly cam(He may want to convert to Mass air or a DFI system),Gears most guys stick with the 410s,but if he's looking to do topend highway runs Richmond makes 390s and a couple companys make 373s.

95 Lightning-13.957 at 94.89mph
AFR185s,Comp XE264HR-14 cam,GT40 intake,Pickrel performance Exhaust,Factory tech valvebody,TwEECer RT

Last edited by Matt95L; 06-19-2005 at 08:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. He is so undecided on what to do right now, he has all the LS1 guys trying to pull him into keeping his car but it's good to see that somebody else out there has some ideas instead of the usual "AFR 185's, Crane 2030 Cam, 393 Stroker" to make 300 rwhp that I saw alot of on NLOC.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-20-2005, 10:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I agree with Matt. The other way he can go is a supercharger with around 12psi of boost, AFR's, extrude honed lower and a custom grind cam or a 5.0 cam conversion. Also, bassani makes a good 2.5 exhaust set up with equal length shorties, but pickrel is by far the best! The stock rev limiter in the EEC is set to 110 so a tweecer will be needed to cut it off. Also there is a stock rev limiter in the EEC at 5500. The tweecer will take care of that too.

Good Luck with your decisions,
David

95 Lightning-Black #772
Edelbrock Heads / FMS 1.72 RR's
5.0 roller conversion-2* advanced
Bassani headers / x-pipe / side exit catback
MSD 6al / timing control / coil / wires / cap
ASP underdrives & smog pump delete
Modine 2" radiator / Dual efans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ASAP; 06-20-2005 at 10:11 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2005, 12:49 PM

He'll need to get friendly with the computer if he wants to see that kind of NA power / over 110. The stock SD computer is intolerant of a lot of things, and it's rev limited at 110. The NLOC guys have a bunch of Tweecer fans because going MAF usually leaves the E4OD without a good mommy, and it needs one.

If he wants the easy route, get a Gen 2, 400 rwhp is easy with bolt ons, the 2004 ran 147+ in testing (not quarter mile). 110 is visceral experience in a Gen 1, yawn boring in a Gen 2.

There's no way I would pull gear out of mine... keep in mind that the tires are 30" tall on the gen 1's. They limited it over driveshaft speed issues if I remember. fwiw,
post #7 of 8 Old 06-23-2005, 12:15 PM

If he wants to go motor with that truck hes gonna have to switch to mass air hands down unless he runs a blower. there are guys i know running 11's on speed density using the stock long block and a blower. But thats really hard to accomplish and that took a long time. Go to mass air get the afr 205's stroke it to a 408 and spray the hell outa it. That should put you in the mid 11's, next you have to worry about the rear end and tranny going though. Its tough but people do it.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-23-2005, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Well, he was all gung hoe for it but got talked into keeping his 98 Z28 by the local LS1 guru, sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement