93 351w weak? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 03-23-2005, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 11
93 351w weak?

i have a 93 lightning 5.8 with a kenne bell 9psi .24lb injectors 75mm throttle body/headers.ran top shape.slight pinging.all of a sudden piston gave out!is it normal? 351w weak? NEED HELP!

dirtydanz93lightning is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 03-23-2005, 01:15 AM
Registered User
 
GTPhreak's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 467
if it pinged its possible. the motors have hyperuetectic pistons in them


1996 Mustang Cobra
Bolt ons
1993 Mustang LX
2.3Turbo
GTPhreak is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 03-23-2005, 06:48 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rincon, Ga
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPhreak
if it pinged its possible. the motors have hyperuetectic pistons in them
The Hyper pistons are the weak link in the L motors. They won't stand for much ping under boost. The rods crank and block are all very well made and should stand for up to 500hp with no problem. There is some guys running more HP than that with the stock long block.

It must have been running consistently lean. You will need an EEC Tuner or a Tweecer to recalibrate the fuel curve for the 24's and boost. Does it have a chip or tuner presently?

David

95 Lightning-Black #772
Edelbrock Heads / FMS 1.72 RR's
5.0 roller conversion-2* advanced
Bassani headers / x-pipe / side exit catback
MSD 6al / timing control / coil / wires / cap
ASP underdrives & smog pump delete
Modine 2" radiator / Dual efans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ASAP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 03-23-2005, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP
The Hyper pistons are the weak link in the L motors. They won't stand for much ping under boost. The rods crank and block are all very well made and should stand for up to 500hp with no problem. There is some guys running more HP than that with the stock long block.

It must have been running consistently lean. You will need an EEC Tuner or a Tweecer to recalibrate the fuel curve for the 24's and boost. Does it have a chip or tuner presently?

David
i was told by kb not to run a after market chip.blowzilla kit comes with timing retard /boost apump.if any thing looks like its running rich?tried 30lb injectors.way to rich.looked like a diesel!
dirtydanz93lightning is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 03-23-2005, 01:06 PM
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP
The Hyper pistons are the weak link in the L motors. They won't stand for much ping under boost. The rods crank and block are all very well made and should stand for up to 500hp with no problem. There is some guys running more HP than that with the stock long block.

It must have been running consistently lean. You will need an EEC Tuner or a Tweecer to recalibrate the fuel curve for the 24's and boost. Does it have a chip or tuner presently?

David
I agree the hyper pistons are junk
brj123 is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 03-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rincon, Ga
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydanz93lightning
i was told by kb not to run a after market chip.blowzilla kit comes with timing retard /boost apump.if any thing looks like its running rich?tried 30lb injectors.way to rich.looked like a diesel!
Ya, I understand what you're saying, but if there is nothing to tell the computer you are running 24's(like a mass air flow meter does), then until you reprogram it, it uses the 19's fuel curve. This could lead to lean and rich spots throughout the rpm band.
I would be looking for the reason it was detonating as it could cause future problems as well.

David

95 Lightning-Black #772
Edelbrock Heads / FMS 1.72 RR's
5.0 roller conversion-2* advanced
Bassani headers / x-pipe / side exit catback
MSD 6al / timing control / coil / wires / cap
ASP underdrives & smog pump delete
Modine 2" radiator / Dual efans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ASAP is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 03-25-2005, 04:11 AM
Registered User
 
GTPhreak's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 467
not really junk you just gotta have a good tune. I know lots of people running boosed setups with hyperuetectic pistons and do just fine. I was gonna run a turbo on my 94 gt with hyperuetectic pistons when i had it (stock bottom end)

1996 Mustang Cobra
Bolt ons
1993 Mustang LX
2.3Turbo
GTPhreak is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 03-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Registered User
 
redlightningssf's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: san fran
Posts: 554
Check the compresson it maybe just the head gasket.Did you leave the FMU hooked up when you tried the 30's?. You can run a chip with KB, any pinging is bad at high or low RPMs.You may have blown more than one hole. I blew three with my KB.

2016 V6 Mustang Race Red
redlightningssf is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 03-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Registered User
 
HPLouis's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,640
My car has a 351W in it with the hyper pistons etc. I made 425 rwhp and 464 rwtq with a safe and conservative tune. I'm pushing 12 psi.

2004 Mystichrome #117 Cobra Convertible #366, bone stock with 3,100 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 BMW DINAN 550i Sport S Package - the beater car
HPLouis is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 03-28-2005, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLouis
My car has a 351W in it with the hyper pistons etc. I made 425 rwhp and 464 rwtq with a safe and conservative tune. I'm pushing 12 psi.
i heard of alot of guys running more boost than me.thats why i cant understand why the piston took a dump!

dirtydanz93lightning is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 03-28-2005, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningssf
Check the compresson it maybe just the head gasket.Did you leave the FMU hooked up when you tried the 30's?. You can run a chip with KB, any pinging is bad at high or low RPMs.You may have blown more than one hole. I blew three with my KB.
i checked compresson.all was good.even the number 5 piston that was damaged.i did have fmu with 30lb injectors.it ran way to rich! i put 24lb it ran way better.thats why im trying to figure out if its just the pistons?i just ordered a stock short block and aluminum heads!
dirtydanz93lightning is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 03-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Registered User
 
redlightningssf's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: san fran
Posts: 554
You can ditch the FMU with the 30's.I also blew #5 piston except they were custom 8.5 pistons cost big $$$ to replace.

2016 V6 Mustang Race Red
redlightningssf is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 03-29-2005, 04:44 PM
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 1,092
Is your truck mass air or speed density? What are you using to tune it other than timing retard and the boost a pump?
Racer LX is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 03-29-2005, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer LX
Is your truck mass air or speed density? What are you using to tune it other than timing retard and the boost a pump?
speed density.only boost a pump and timing retard.is there chips other than hyper?
dirtydanz93lightning is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 03-29-2005, 09:59 PM
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 480
the block anit weak just ran i 10.36 with 94 block 408 with no girrdle
blackcobra46 is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 03-30-2005, 01:04 PM
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 1,092
Yes, there are other chip guys out there. Johnson Motorsports comes to mind (www.jmschip.com). As mentioned above, your stock fuel curve is probably way off for a supercharged motor and not richening up enough at the top of the tach. You also might want to check out the Nat'l Lighting club and see what those guys are doing to tune their blown 1st gens (www.nloc.com).

blackcobra46, impressive numbers. What's your combo that you're running low 10's? Are you supercharged, nitrous, turbo or natural?
Racer LX is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 03-30-2005, 01:16 PM
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer LX
Yes, there are other chip guys out there. Johnson Motorsports comes to mind (www.jmschip.com). As mentioned above, your stock fuel curve is probably way off for a supercharged motor and not richening up enough at the top of the tach. You also might want to check out the Nat'l Lighting club and see what those guys are doing to tune their blown 1st gens (www.nloc.com).

blackcobra46, impressive numbers. What's your combo that you're running low 10's? Are you supercharged, nitrous, turbo or natural?
thanks yes got 200 shot right now im haven hooking up probelms..last week was first time out ,,run 2 motor passes 11.44 /119 ..that mph 134 i should be in the 9s ...i need to get anti roll bar for rear ..and bigger carb..any thing else you want to know just feel free to p m me..
blackcobra46 is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 03-31-2005, 07:11 PM
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 480
nope heres my 408 ,,i spin it to 7600 without a griddle,,with 200 shot http://www.maximummustang.com/wforum...down_under.jpg
blackcobra46 is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 04-24-2005, 06:18 PM
 
Trader Feedback: (13)
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP
Ya, I understand what you're saying, but if there is nothing to tell the computer you are running 24's(like a mass air flow meter does), then until you reprogram it, it uses the 19's fuel curve. This could lead to lean and rich spots throughout the rpm band.
I would be looking for the reason it was detonating as it could cause future problems as well.

David
All gen 1 Lightnings came with 24 lbs injectors stock. Unless you are not using the stock processor, it will not use fuel curves for 19 lb injectors.
tohard2hook is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 04-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Registered User
 
roostracing's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Texas
Posts: 332
slight correction...

www.nloc.net

good luck!

'95 Lightning (red) #228
14.61 @ 92 mph N/A
13.32 @ 102 mph NITROUS
roostracing is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 04-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rincon, Ga
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohard2hook
All gen 1 Lightnings came with 24 lbs injectors stock. Unless you are not using the stock processor, it will not use fuel curves for 19 lb injectors.
Sorry man... You're misinformed on that one. All Gen 1 L's came with 19's. It's rediculous, I know but the SD doesn't require as big of injectors as Mass Air.

95 Lightning-Black #772
Edelbrock Heads / FMS 1.72 RR's
5.0 roller conversion-2* advanced
Bassani headers / x-pipe / side exit catback
MSD 6al / timing control / coil / wires / cap
ASP underdrives & smog pump delete
Modine 2" radiator / Dual efans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ASAP is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 04-25-2005, 08:46 AM
 
Trader Feedback: (13)
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 504
I worked on the program at Ford, so I am pretty I am correct. BTW, injector size has nothing to do with mass air and everything to do with HP. They ran 24's in a 93 Corbra with almost the same hardware as the gen1 lightning (except more displacement in the Lightnings). Show me a picture of a stock gen 1 lightning with orange top injectors and I will eat my words. I am sure you'll will find that they all have blue tops.

Thanks, Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP
Sorry man... You're misinformed on that one. All Gen 1 L's came with 19's. It's rediculous, I know but the SD doesn't require as big of injectors as Mass Air.
tohard2hook is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 04-25-2005, 09:08 AM
 
Trader Feedback: (13)
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohard2hook
I worked on the program at Ford, so I am pretty I am correct. BTW, injector size has nothing to do with mass air and everything to do with HP. They ran 24's in a 93 Corbra with almost the same hardware as the gen1 lightning (except more displacement in the Lightnings). Show me a picture of a stock gen 1 lightning with orange top injectors and I will eat my words. I am sure you'll will find that they all have blue tops.

Thanks, Fred
I checked on some of the Lightning forums and I see some people say they have orange top injectors. Like I said I would eat my words. I eating right now!
Sorry about the misinformation. Fred
tohard2hook is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 04-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rincon, Ga
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohard2hook
I checked on some of the Lightning forums and I see some people say they have orange top injectors. Like I said I would eat my words. I eating right now!
Sorry about the misinformation. Fred
lol...I wish they did...I know what you're saying though. My bro had a 1995 Cobra with the stock 24LB injectors. I always heard the reason for not using bigger injectors on the SD is its Batch fire set up compared to the MA's sequential injection. Its a PITA to change them out too, because you have to have a tweecer, chip or eec tuner to recalibrate instead of a mass air meter. This is why I've yet to change mine...lol

Take Care,
David

95 Lightning-Black #772
Edelbrock Heads / FMS 1.72 RR's
5.0 roller conversion-2* advanced
Bassani headers / x-pipe / side exit catback
MSD 6al / timing control / coil / wires / cap
ASP underdrives & smog pump delete
Modine 2" radiator / Dual efans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ASAP is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 04-26-2005, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator
 
HELMUT RONER's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (23)
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 4,769
I remember asking about the injectors a while back.

http://www.svtownersassociation.com/...ead.php?t=8276

https://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=536298

Helmut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Do you want to get the bolt out, or do you want to worry about getting your skirt dirty?
HELMUT RONER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome