Considering `95 Lightning, what to look for / offer? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-11-2004, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Considering `95 Lightning, what to look for / offer?

I'm about to make an offer on a `95 red lightning that is for sale near me.

What areas should I look out for as far as problems?

I have owned a `95 F-150 XL 5-speed in the past and I liked it, right now I have an `89 mustang 5.0 that I converted from a 4 cyl / auto to a 5.0 / 5-speed so I do have a pretty good working knowledge of what makes this gen. fords tick.

the truck has 125k miles and has been used for towing, I plan to use it to tow as well.

What should compression #'s be, what things are common to happen, etc?

Basically what I know about it:

Red 1995
new brakes, tires, KYB shocks
Paint looks great, has a dent on tailgate that he said he will fix before selling.
Used for towing (he took a pic of it for me as it sat today and it was hooked up to a flatbed with his mustang on it )
Does not leak anything
124k miles

Basically this will be a daily driver, will tow my mustang with it occasionally, and I do plan to put a set of AFR 185 heads on it.

also if anyone knows of any other lightnings for sale in norcal I'd be open to looking at others, ideally I want a black one, but since there were only ~690 `95 Red ones made I geuss I can't really complain at the price he is asking.

1989 Notchback LX H/C/I/5.0/T5/5 lug/10psi/Etc - ex 2.3L/A4LD
2002 F150 Harley-Davidson 5.4L/4R100 - Stiegemier Stage 4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-12-2004, 04:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
It really depends, some go for cheap, some go high. They are kinda hard to find though so sometimes you pay a little more for a nice one. My truck had been the most reliable thing I have ever owned. It now has 165,000 on it and it still keep ticking. I've towed a mustang with it too and hardly noticed it back there. The motor and transmission in mine are untouched but I just rebuilt the rear end at about 160,000 when the side gears broke. I love my truck though, wouldn't sell it unless i absolutely had to.

Erik D.
Married and Mustangless
post #3 of 7 Old 11-12-2004, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
This guy is asking $5200, I was thinking of offering $4500 for it, do you think thats fair? (high miles, not the color I want, past towing history).

Don't get me wrong I want the truck or I wouldn't be considering it, I just dont want to lose my shirt if the engine or tranny decides to quit 3 months after I buy it...

1989 Notchback LX H/C/I/5.0/T5/5 lug/10psi/Etc - ex 2.3L/A4LD
2002 F150 Harley-Davidson 5.4L/4R100 - Stiegemier Stage 4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-12-2004, 07:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
i would give the 5200. for it if it is nice.they tow great but dont stop worth a cuss if you dont have trailer brakes.my 94 pulled better than my 99psd as far as stock power to stock power goes.the rear end going out at over 150,000 miles is the only thing i have seen bad about them if you can call that bad.

81 coupe S/W#7(SOLD
)
90 hatchback S/S#20
94 WHITE LIGHTNING
post #5 of 7 Old 11-13-2004, 09:32 AM

5200 seems like a really good price to me also. Might want to ask the owner if the tranny has ever been rebuilt. The 95 has the best transmission of the three years, but after alot of towing it could go out if it hasn't been taken care of properly. Mine is still fine though but every now and then shifts funny after 165,000 miles. These transmissions are far from cheap to rebuild.

Erik D.
Married and Mustangless
post #6 of 7 Old 11-13-2004, 10:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
the key to the tranny is to put in a a lite shift kit.it really helps the tranny life alot.

81 coupe S/W#7(SOLD
)
90 hatchback S/S#20
94 WHITE LIGHTNING
post #7 of 7 Old 11-13-2004, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastynotchback1
the key to the tranny is to put in a a lite shift kit.it really helps the tranny life alot.
Agreed, the best thing to do is order a factory tech valvebody. BLIND, you need to check out the forums at www.nloc.net. Anything you need to know about lightnings there.

Erik D.
Married and Mustangless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement