Intake Question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-13-2004, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Intake Question

I have an gen 2 lightning. i just bought a 89 bronco with a 351. I hate to hijack the forum, but will a gen 1 intake fit on my truck or even be worth my time to mes with. Thanks yall.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-13-2004, 11:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
im not too good with broncos, but i dont see why not... check out www.nloc.net someone else on there has put a gen 1 lightning motor in a bronco before..

1979 F150 351m
1994 Cobra
2012 5.0 6 speed
2005 Harley Night Train
post #3 of 7 Old 09-14-2004, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-15-2004, 09:45 PM

Do some looking on the National Lightning Owners site, also look in ford truck enthusiasts and Full Size Broncos websites as well.

I started a thread on one of those some time back about useing the efi car style intake on my Bronco.

It'll work!

I was going to run the car style, but do to other priorities (time) I decided to wait untill later since I was already doing so much work with my new engine and making so many changes and had so much detail work to do already.

Firstly, EGR in the Bronco draws exhaust from pass. side exhaust manifold. On the cars it comes up through the intake. Not sure exactly how, but I'd guess just comes up through the exhaust crossover since my E'brock Performer base had a hole from that passage and the lower can be used with the truck or car uppers.

I thought about useing the GT40 intake, but read some issues about the base needing work so I decided to just go with the E'brock since I would be able to re-use the base and switch just the upper later if I still chose to.

Incidently, spend an hour or two searching for intake info on the net and you should quickly come up with a fantastic test of most of the intakes available that will give you an idea of what rpm they work best in. I believe it was a test on the Anderson webpage, basically scanned magazine pages.

But.........what else do you intend to do to the engine????

If nothing else, it wouldn't surprise me if it actually would hurt performance since it would loose some port velocity.

The E7TE heads are the biggest hp hinderance on the Bronco 351 in my opinion. Then the exhaust, cam, and then intake.

Give some more details of other intended mods or mods done or intended use and hp hopes.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2004, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

My plans are to drive it till it dies, then build the motor. i plan to use it about 50/50 on road to off road. I have access to a set of gt-40 heads. would that be a good swap for the bronco heads? What else do you want to know. As far a HP hopes, just more than i have now.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-16-2004, 02:16 AM

Well then......if she's got good oil pressure and your not hearing any knocking when its cold and you think the bottom end is Ok. Then I'd be looking at the plugs to see how much oil she's burning. If you think you've got an OK short block on your hands then you could change the cam and top end. Once she blows just reuse the topend.

I'm not sure of the chamber sizes between the E7's and GT40's off the top of my head. But you obviously don't want to loose any compression.

How many miles are on this engine????

My 351 broke a piston and bent a rod at somewhere over 130k at realitively low rpm. Bearings were looking pretty tired when I dissassembled it which explained the bottom end noise I thought I was starting to hear. Yet oil pressure looked good, no smoke out the pipes and seemed to run real strong.

I'd be somewhat preparred for it to possibly not live long if you do bump the power up quite a bit with the stock short block. If shes got some miles on her that is.

Yes the GT40 heads will out flow the stock E7's quite a bit.

Do a search for an hour or so on the net. I had come across flow number comparisons on the heads on several webpages if memory serves me.

The stock bronco E7TE's are the same as the 5.0 stanger E7's except for just having bigger head bolt holes for the 351 block. So they are pretty constrictive on a 351.

Another option would ofcourse be to just start piecing together another engine at your leasure.

With as much work as your considering.......well and having just put my fresh engine in my Bronco a few weeks ago........I'd think long and hard about just doing it right the first time and doing the hole engine once. These Bronco's are not as easy to work on as a stanger since they are so tall by comparison.

Lots to consider and lots to think about.

The main limiter your really going to be faced with is the stock EEC and being Speed Density. It can just only adapt so much to changes.

I ran out of funds and so I'm having to take it real easy on my fresh engine because my EEC is barely coping with my changes. Its actually not, it barely drivable for the break in period. Granted I've got heads that will smoke GT40's but still.

Anything big and you really need either a different EEC and a Tweecer or a Mass Air conversion.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-16-2004, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

well the plugs look great, but im very confident that the bottom end has a ton of miles on it.

thanks Arren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement