1993 f150 lightning - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-09-2004, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
1993 f150 lightning

hey guys, got a quick question here.. Im lookin for a truck to get, an i saw a 1993 f150 lightning yesterday, does anyone know about these trucks ??

the guy wanted 7k for it, it had a brand new 351 w/ like 20k on it, w/ an s trim.. THe car itself had about 138k.. Tranny is stock, the car has some suspension mods, car has boost and oil guages. The one thing i didnt like about it was it had a dent in the front right fender.. Said he got hit at like cosco, the way it looks, it looks legit.. It looks minor but its a decent hit.. What would you guys offer him ?? If it was an authentic lightning, would it have marking on the car itself?

I drove the car it felt nice, steered straight, powerful , felt really sturdy.

Let me know what you guys think !! thanks fellas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-09-2004, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

nobody ??

post #3 of 18 Old 02-09-2004, 04:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally posted by 93cobra12
nobody ??
You might want to check with the guys over at www.nloc.net

There's a ton of info there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-09-2004, 11:30 PM

Well, like 93whitelightning said, nloc.net is a better place to ask... you'll get a quicker response.

The first thing to look at would be the VIN code, the 8th character will be an "R" stating the engine code which is the 351W GT-40 engine. If there's no "R" it was never an original L or sombody switched VIN's, either way a bad thing...

As far as things to look for besides the engine the body will be a monocrome color all over (either red or black in 93) unless it has been custom painted or something. It should have a Lightning logo sticker on either bed side right behind the cab and one on the passenger's side of the tailgate. The interior will have bucket seats with Lightning embroidered in the headrest. They will also have power lumbar and side bolsters. Unless they have been replaced it should also have 17" wheels with a directional 5 spoke pattern to them. The engine will have a GT-40 intake and heads again assuming they haven't been changed for something else.

These are the big things that will make the truck stand apart from a regular F-150. That price isn't bad if the truck is in decent shape besides the dent you speak of. Since it has a blower on it it might have a few other things done to it. Other than that just check and make sure the engine is in good shape along with the rest of the drivetrain. Goodluck and enjoy if you purchase... they are great trucks and alot of fun.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-10-2004, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ! Besides the dent the truck is in good shape.. drives awesome.. tranny shifts nice, suspension feels really sturdy, it has an awesome take off, the response is awesome.. I really dig the car, I just really like the way it drove.. Thats why im soo hung up on this car.. It has the lightning wheels, it has a brand new motor from ford.. I believe a replacement, it has only 20k on it.. Thats another big reason why i want this car.. So I'll check the vin number thats a lot of help, thanks !! He also has all the paper work, the bill of sale, the actual certificate.. He has it all, every single thing he did to the car he did.. Replaced hte pads an rotors.. Sounds liget to me.. Tryin to get advice from people who have this car.. If you think of anything else, PLS let me know.

Anyone else w/ any imputs or ideas?
post #6 of 18 Old 02-10-2004, 03:41 PM

sounds good if its an orig replacement motor. i have a black 93 and love it. but dont call it a car, call it a truck . good luck
post #7 of 18 Old 02-10-2004, 04:39 PM

Sounds like a good deal on a nice truck. You'll really like driving it!

87 Mustang Coupe YS-trimmed R-306 w/23lbs. of boost, Edelbrock heads, custom cam 233/241, Performer 5.0 intake, 75lb. inj., best et: [email protected]
94 Lightning
Kenne-Bell Supercharged
78 Trans Am
400 w/nitrous
post #8 of 18 Old 02-10-2004, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

LOL my bad Light-Stang, This would be my very first truck.. I do believe its a direct replacement.. THe guy siad he blew the motor an had to order it an get it installed, the motor cost him around 5k
post #9 of 18 Old 02-10-2004, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Im not too sure how much those replacements cost so ?? But he has all the records so I will be able to tell right ? I mean it has the lightning intake.. Ohh question guys.. Is that manifold good ?

Which manifold would you guys recommend on getting, or do you guys port the intake? How about the heads, i know everything about a 302, but nothing about a 351.. What type of heads does it come with? what type of cam? whats the works guys !!
post #10 of 18 Old 02-10-2004, 07:59 PM

its a gt-40 intake, quite sufficient. iron heads, mild cam, dont know the specs on it. the 138k some say the tranny starts showing wear around 140k, some others have had no problems til 170k. the truck is awesome, saw u had a 93 cobra, i actually went to the dealer when i got outta the service to purchase a teal 93, but once driving the truck, which was on the showroom, i drove off in it instead. i would not get rid of it for nothing. check out the nloc.net, u can learn everything. are you keeping the car?

post #11 of 18 Old 02-11-2004, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

I saw it yesterday when it was clean, DAMN !! that **** is nice.. I never even looked at these TRUCKS before... But yup im buying it on friday, got the price to drop 200 bucks, wooyooo, 6800 for a brand new 351 w/ a s trim.. And i was mistaken the miles are 158 ... So i guess well see how long she holds up.. I drove it again, an it feels damn strong, the tranny shifts hard.. its still in good shape, no leaks.. the guys said he reguarly changes the tranny oil and hes had no problems with it at all.. I saw the paper work, I looked at the 8 VIN # and it was an R .. Thanks CO-RIDEr !! right on man.. You can barley notice the dent when its cleaned up.. It looks damn good for a 93 i think.. I love the fact that I got a 93 SVT lightning and a teal 93 cobra.. CRAZY if you ask me !! im just lukcy.. LOVE THE FORDS ... If i didnt get this truck i would have gone chevy though.. But i couldnt pass this ride up.. it looks way to clean with a brand new engine an a supercharger.. Now guys, where do i go to find parts for this car? does summit sell **** for this car? I need white faced gauges.. Do they make those for the lightnings ? help me out fellas..

Yup i got a teal 93 w/ a 331 and a s trim.. Love that car !! shes my baby, im gonna post pic of her soon, so I'll make sure i post pics of her in this..

Right on guys !! appreciate it !!
post #12 of 18 Old 02-11-2004, 02:36 PM

A lot of Mustang performance parts swap over except for the intake manifold as 351's are wider at the base. White faced gauges are available, but I'm not sure where. A lot of F-150 parts work for it too as far as the body and interior go.

87 Mustang Coupe YS-trimmed R-306 w/23lbs. of boost, Edelbrock heads, custom cam 233/241, Performer 5.0 intake, 75lb. inj., best et: [email protected]
94 Lightning
Kenne-Bell Supercharged
78 Trans Am
400 w/nitrous
post #13 of 18 Old 02-11-2004, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

hey how much did ur kenne-bell supercharger cost you?
post #14 of 18 Old 02-11-2004, 11:52 PM

You'll have a hard time finding someone who doesn't like their '93-'95 lightning. I love my '94. In fact, I like it more than any mustang I have owned.

Erik D.
Married and Mustangless
post #15 of 18 Old 02-13-2004, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

crzy man, nothin can beat my teal 93 cobra with a 331 and a s trim w/ a full GR40 suspension kit, 8 pt cage painted teal, with my seats an gauges.. no way, no truck can top that !!
post #16 of 18 Old 03-04-2004, 01:23 PM

Quote:
crzy man, nothin can beat my teal 93 cobra with a 331 and a s trim w/ a full GR40 suspension kit, 8 pt cage painted teal, with my seats an gauges.. no way, no truck can top that !!
Trust Us, After A While The Mustang Will be Lacking. When You Get Your L And Get Your Production Number, Don't Forget To Join The NLOC!

'95 L # 1679
post #17 of 18 Old 03-05-2004, 09:48 AM

MJ351's sooooo right.....

Quote:
Originally posted by mj351
Trust Us, After A While The Mustang Will be Lacking. When You Get Your L And Get Your Production Number, Don't Forget To Join The NLOC!
The torque of the 351W coupled with the 4.11 rear makes for an absolutely addictive combination. Couple that with the S-trim you've got and you'll NEVER want to drive anything else. I love my 94 Lightning!

Recommendation for 1st mod: Factory Tech Accumulator (shift kit)!! Tire barking 1-2 shifts are more addictive than crack! Also, some Rancho traction bars - wheel-hop with the light rear-ended Lightning can be a problem. These bars virtually eliminate it.

Have fun with your new toy!

MJ351 was also right about joining nloc.net (National Lightning Owners Club). There's a wealth if info there and some real nice people who share the same passion we have - their Lightnings.

Miami_Lightning
(nloc #1173)

Last edited by Miami_Lightning; 03-05-2004 at 09:52 AM.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-06-2004, 09:55 PM

Quote:
hey how much did ur kenne-bell supercharger cost you?
The Kenne-Bell was on the Truck when I bought it. A new Kenne-Bell Blowzilla (2.2L) runs around $3650. Great for street, tons of torque, not that fast at the track, but that's why I've got my stang

94 Lightning
Kenne-Bell Supercharged
78 Trans Am
400 w/nitrous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement