Asking For Friend: Eratic Idle (I did a search) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 12-16-2003, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (23)
Question Asking For Friend: Eratic Idle (I did a search)

A friend of mine living down in the Florida Keys has a problem with his '94 Lightning. He says it has an eratic idle. With the windows up the fumes are still getting into the cab and he has to mash down hard on the brake pedal at the stoplights to keep from rolling forward. I suggested to him to check/replace any and all vacuum lines even if they look OK and to remove/clean the IAC. Below is the convo I had with him in IMs.

slapnaho [6:48 PM]: truck has an irratic idle and i've had a diagnostic done on it and it said the egr needed to be replaced
slapnaho [6:49 PM]: i replaced it
slapnaho [6:49 PM]: still had the same problem and this time it said the o2 sensor
slapnaho [6:49 PM]: replaced that, and the third time it said the map
slapnaho [6:49 PM]: replaced that
slapnaho [6:50 PM]: and it's still doing the same thing
HELMUT RONER [6:50 PM]: eratic idle? RPMs bouncing up and down?
slapnaho [6:51 PM]: yup and when i'm at a stop light it starts doing it and i have to apply the brake harder so i don't go rolling through the stop light
slapnaho [6:51 PM]: all sensors you can think of just about have been replaced
HELMUT RONER [6:52 PM]: on the throttle body there's a long cylindrical shaped sensor that get gunked up over time and miles that can be disassembled and cleaned out with carb cleaner
HELMUT RONER [6:52 PM]: that is the idle air control sensor
HELMUT RONER [6:53 PM]: also vacuum lines could be dried up under the upper intake plenum
slapnaho [6:53 PM]: i take it off and just clean it don't have to get a new one
slapnaho [6:53 PM]: the truck's just been rebuilt and all the hoses have been replaced
HELMUT RONER [6:54 PM]: in MOST cases no, but worth a try that part isn't cheap and there is a gasket there that you need to replace when you take it off
slapnaho [6:55 PM]: what's that piece called again
HELMUT RONER [6:55 PM]: IDLE AIR CONTROL sensor or IAC for short
HELMUT RONER [6:56 PM]: i'd check all vacuum lines replace them even if they look good
slapnaho [6:57 PM]: i'll do that
slapnaho [6:57 PM]: this is really starting to piss me off
HELMUT RONER [6:57 PM]: pissed me off with mine too
slapnaho [6:58 PM]: it's causing the truck to run rich and if i ride with the windows down i end up smelling like gas
slapnaho [6:59 PM]: i'll probably do this **** tomorrow on my only day off
HELMUT RONER [6:59 PM]: I'll post on the Corral to see wahat I can get out of it
HELMUT RONER [6:59 PM]: it's a 94 right?
slapnaho [7:00 PM]: yeah
HELMUT RONER [7:00 PM]: ok

Any suggestions? The rebuild was just a stock rebuild with new rings and bearings. I'll E-mail him the link to this thread.

Helmut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Do you want to get the bolt out, or do you want to worry about getting your skirt dirty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-17-2003, 12:56 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Have him check fuel pressure. Should be around 32-35 psi at idle. What you have described points mostly in that direction with EGR and O2 sensor giving codes. I have seen some worn out FPR's running as high as 80 psi at idle. The computer is doing it's best to lean the mixture (rich signal from O2 sensor) by giving it air, thus the high idle. Ford suggests replacing them every 50k.

Just my .02 but I think it is the culprit. If not, go to www.nloc.net and do a search. I'm sure you find something on a website dedicated to Lightning owners.

Hope this helps.

91' Emerald Green LX
93' Lightning - Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-17-2003, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (23)
GC, thanks for the info. My friend ran over to the parts store and picked up an OEM replacement FPR and he says the truck runs great now and he also sends his thanks.

Helmut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Do you want to get the bolt out, or do you want to worry about getting your skirt dirty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement