need help with tow truck - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-18-2003, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
need help with tow truck

not a lightning, but i know the fuel systems are similar, any advice would be app. my 95 f250 with heavy duty package is having fuel starvation problem from rear tank only. when towing, totally "bogged down" lost power and would have died if i didn't shut it down. exhaust was smokin hot (literally). idled ok. changed over to front tank and all was fine. drove several hundred miles allowing rear tank/pump to cool. switched to rear and it started to do it again. front tank is ok. this narrows the problem to the rear tank. my first thought is fuel pump, but i don't know much about the two tank/three pump system. could it be relay, valve, pickup, or somthing else isolated to the rear tank? i need to get this fixed before march for nmra opener in fla (towing from ohio with one tank would suck big time).
thanks in advance,
Adam
NMRA
O/C#10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-18-2003, 06:04 PM

If I had to take a guess I'd say your fuel pump. - Brian

87 Mustang Coupe YS-trimmed R-306 w/23lbs. of boost, Edelbrock heads, custom cam 233/241, Performer 5.0 intake, 75lb. inj., best et: [email protected]
94 Lightning
Kenne-Bell Supercharged
78 Trans Am
400 w/nitrous
post #3 of 5 Old 02-19-2003, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

thanks

thanks Brian, that has been the general concensus. just don't know what is involved with relays, valves ect. that could have thrown me off.
thanks
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-25-2003, 07:49 PM

Man it has to be your rear pump, they share the same relay. You cna get the pump and sender for around $100 so i would go with that. Oh i have an 88 f-250 351 and my rear pump is out, already put the front one in.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-27-2003, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help!

actually got to see the failure in process! while towing loaded trailer pressure dropped to 30 psi. got a new pump in and went towing again and the problem is gone. cost me alot more than $100 tho. pump was updated so needed a new plug, $200 pump, $15 for plug kit, $95 for install (got lazy, rather pay than do it in a foot of snow in the drive, in these conditions it was cheep!).
thanks for the help
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement