2Likes
  • 1 Post By mr_minnis
  • 1 Post By Dwain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-31-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
1967 Ford Lighting Bronco

Thanks for the add 1st post
I am no means a motor guy just look for some input on a motor I want to rebuild.
I have a 1995 5.8 and a Lighting upper and lower I would like to use so I can Be EFI. Thinking heavily about doing a 393 with a set of after market heads. Main goal low end torque. To help me out what were the HP number on a stock lighting? and does anyone know how much a Lighting intake will flow. Any extra info you want to add please do, Just trying to learn some before I start laying money down on parts. ( example Stoker kit, Cam, Head. Etc.) hoping to stay in a budget of 6K with a tune.

I have a reputable machine shop for the work and a good friend to help with putting the motor together (motor guy very anal about the work he does)

Info on the Bronco

1967 Bronco About 5,500. lb.
ZF 5 speed
Atlas II 3.8
Rear end gears 5.13

I an sure I will have more questions as answers come in.

Thanks
Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-01-2018, 07:50 AM
Please call me Mike

Trader Feedback: (46)
They were under rated at 240 horse and 340 ft lbs.

That intake esp the lower is worth quite a bit of money ($500 to $700). Since the 351 block is wider the lower intakes don’t have the inherit design issues of the 302 styles and flow better. I’m guessing they flow about 250 cfm out of the box and can be ported to flow 300.

If you are thinking about doing something just south of 400 cubic inches, torque won’t be an issue.

Depending on budget: I’d get some 190 to low 200 cc heads and a custom cam. I like the 11r heads from trick flow but edlebrock and afr make good parts also.

It’s pretty cool that it will be a 5 sped.

What efi system are you going to be using?

My dad use to build those first gen broncos to go four wheeling in Colorado. I’ve also liked them.

bronco brian likes this.

84K 88 LX Vert 5spd: 3.73s.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-01-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_minnis View Post

It’s pretty cool that it will be a 5 sped. Thanks

What efi system are you going to be using?

Plan is to use all factory Ford EFI Right now I have a 5.8 with a truck intake and an adaptor to a 5.0 HO upper, using an A9L ECC with an RJM wiring harness. the motor Knocks has low to no oil pressure and over heats with a hard pull. hoping to fix some of that with the rebuild on the newer 5.8 roller block. and also going to check so thinks on my cooling system today. Thinking my clutch fan is not working (Explorer front dress)

My dad use to build those first gen broncos to go four wheeling in Colorado. I’ve also liked them.
Ya the EB do go for a lot of cash these days, If I did not have mine don't think I could afford one now. But then again there are some finds out there. Friend just picked one up for his boy had it running in a few hours for less than 2K
Have any pic of your dads ?

Thanks for the reply
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-02-2018, 09:30 AM
Please call me Mike

Trader Feedback: (46)
Somewhere I do. They are photos from about 40 years ago. Some of them are on slides (if you know what those are)

Lots of ways to build these. Budgets rule everything. A cheap way would be some gt40p (explorer) the intake you have port matched. It’d be intresting to see cam differences between lightining and SD mustang (pick the bigger one) change valve springs on heads and run it. Would not be the most powerful thing but would be similar to a lightining motor with more cubes. Should support factory efi.

84K 88 LX Vert 5spd: 3.73s.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-02-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Somewhere I do. They are photos from about 40 years ago. Some of them are on slides (if you know what those are)

I am 57 have seen my share of slide shows lot of them from my grandfather along with my father in law liked them Cool in was BIG pics but set up time LOL

Hoping to stay in a budget of 6 to 7K with a tune. Sounds like a lot of money but 3,500 can be eat up in heads and stoker kit
post #6 of 10 Old 09-13-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
T

What efi system are you going to be using?.
Missed this, My plan is to use the GT40 intakes with Mass Air and a A9L or A9P ECM with a tune.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-13-2018, 06:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I am in the process of retrofitting a 57 f100. I was going to go the same route as you and use a mustang ecu but after a lot of research I decided on using a crown vic ecu with a cam and crank sensor setup from a 96 explorer.. the 03-04 luxury ecu is the last generation ecu that will still support older stuff and allows full tuning, coil on plug and full obd2. I use moates quarterhorse and the 03/04 luxury car ecu seems to have the most support. Im not sure if you can get an explorer style 28 ounce balancer and cam syncronizer for a 351w but if you can it may be worth looking into.. You can get an ecu, wiring harness and coils from a junkyard for much less than you can source a A9L or A9P... I just picked all of that up for less than 100$ If your planning on not tuning it then this may not be a good option.

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
post #8 of 10 Old 09-13-2018, 06:26 PM

You can get the 351w cam syncronizer here https://64bittuning.fwscart.com/

Info on making your own if you have those skills https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/385s...or-t17937.html

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
post #9 of 10 Old 09-13-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
I am in the process of retrofitting a 57 f100. I was going to go the same route as you and use a mustang ecu but after a lot of research I decided on using a crown vic ecu with a cam and crank sensor setup from a 96 explorer.. the 03-04 luxury ecu is the last generation ecu that will still support older stuff and allows full tuning, coil on plug and full obd2. I use moates quarterhorse and the 03/04 luxury car ecu seems to have the most support. Im not sure if you can get an explorer style 28 ounce balancer and cam syncronizer for a 351w but if you can it may be worth looking into.. You can get an ecu, wiring harness and coils from a junkyard for much less than you can source a A9L or A9P... I just picked all of that up for less than 100$ If your planning on not tuning it then this may not be a good option.
At this time I am running a Ford Explorer front dress had the balancer rebalanced to 28 oz. All of the parts I have A9P and a A9L ECM's I also have the wiring harness. At this time I am running a 5.8/351 in my Bronco using all of this. With a truck intake an adaptor to a 5.0 Upper. This is a proven setup in the Early Broncos...... It works but could be better as you are saying. When all said and done I my be looking at the set up you are talking about, but at this time would like to run what I have and build a parts pile then do another swap. For me it would be less down time.

Would you know of any credible articles that states how much horse power the are producing with a 5.8 and the GT 40 intakes? Other aftermarket part will be OK

T.I.A
Brian
post #10 of 10 Old 09-13-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco brian View Post
At this time I am running a Ford Explorer front dress had the balancer rebalanced to 28 oz. All of the parts I have A9P and a A9L ECM's I also have the wiring harness. At this time I am running a 5.8/351 in my Bronco using all of this. With a truck intake an adaptor to a 5.0 Upper. This is a proven setup in the Early Broncos...... It works but could be better as you are saying. When all said and done I my be looking at the set up you are talking about, but at this time would like to run what I have and build a parts pile then do another swap. For me it would be less down time.

Would you know of any credible articles that states how much horse power the are producing with a 5.8 and the GT 40 intakes? Other aftermarket part will be OK

T.I.A
Brian
I am not sure how much power a 351w will make with the gt40. As far as I know the gt40 is the best flowing factory ford intake made and I think it flows a lot better on a 351W than a 302. I cant really help there. I bet Tmoss could help though.. He knows a lot about the gt40 and does some pretty good port work to them from what I have heard

If you already have the parts then yea.. its a no brainer. I had to source the ECU and was going to build a harness from scratch to fit my truck but I have almost everything for a 94/95 mustang setup including remote tfi, distributor, harness and relay box but I also have a complete 96 explorer engine and drivetrain. I initially posted on a tuning forum about running a 95 f150 ecu instead of the 95 mustang ecu for better transmission support and that is when I learned about the luxury car ecu. After talking to a couple guys to me it was an obvious choice to go with the 03/4 setup. The harness is new enough to not worry about wiring break down yet so it will be easy for me to wire. It supports all of the options i need now and has a bunch of add in options that were not part of the original design. The truck will be turbo e85 and I want to be able to use a flex fuel sensor and not worry about switching tunes when i switch to gas for road trips. That feature is coming along with other options that didnt exist in the original calibration These types of options cant be added to older calibrations like T4M0 and A9P which is part of the draw to the newer strategy. If this all works out I intend to switch my mustang over.

bronco brian likes this.

***E85 coming soon***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement