Monster Transmissions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By rudder9
  • 1 Post By LX 5.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Question Monster Transmissions

I need to replaced my Transmission, 94 Lightning. I see Monster Transmission has replacements for around $1600.00.
This seems to be about the average local rebuild price. Has anyone here used the Monster Transmission? Do they hold up like they say?

1989 5.0 Notch Mustang
1994 Lightning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 12:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (30)
Garage
no personal experience, but their page looks like just some good marketing to me.

replaced the 93'ish coupe with a 76 F100, 393, 11.5:1, TEA CNC 205 TW's, custom Hyd Roller, Super Vic, 830 HP, AOD, Edge custom conv., Silverfox SPT-MAC-TB.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

lol, Walmart has great marketing too, but I would never buy anything from them that I would have to depend on and cost $1600.00

1989 5.0 Notch Mustang
1994 Lightning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 09:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
If I were you, and are just looking for a stock type rebuild, I would find a reputable shop around you and have it done if the price is comparable. That way if you have an issue you can deal with someone face to face. If you are looking for a performance built trans, I would go to Paul Delpo (aka Punisher) over on our board, the NLOC.net. He builds one of the baddest E40d's around.It is what I run in my turbo truck. You also have BTS and a couple others, but your going to pay. My only other advice would to definitely get one of Pauls valve bodies, it will make your trucks trans act like it should with nice firm shifts and actually extend the life of the trans. He will also custom taylor the valve body to what your looking for shift wise. From a nice positive shift, to his full race which will snap your neck. PM me if you want any info. His v/b's aren't like a trans go shift kit, this is a real deal piece. One one the first and best mods I ever did.
Tarheels1 likes this.

1995 lightning Forged 383 sbf. AFR 195 heads, Silverstate motorsports turbo kit, 76mm T-netics turbo, 50mm wg, Tial 50mm bov, Punisher built E40D, Circle D 258mm 3200 converter, Built 8.8 with welded tubes,DTS girdle, Tru-Trac and LFP 58" Longbars, Tuned by Fast
post #5 of 8 Old 11-27-2014, 05:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (30)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX 5.0 View Post
lol, Walmart has great marketing too, but I would never buy anything from them that I would have to depend on and cost $1600.00
my thoughts exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudder9 View Post
If I were you, and are just looking for a stock type rebuild, I would find a reputable shop around you and have it done if the price is comparable. That way if you have an issue you can deal with someone face to face. If you are looking for a performance built trans, I would go to Paul Delpo (aka Punisher) over on our board, the NLOC.net. He builds one of the baddest E40d's around.It is what I run in my turbo truck. You also have BTS and a couple others, but your going to pay. My only other advice would to definitely get one of Pauls valve bodies, it will make your trucks trans act like it should with nice firm shifts and actually extend the life of the trans. He will also custom taylor the valve body to what your looking for shift wise. From a nice positive shift, to his full race which will snap your neck. PM me if you want any info. His v/b's aren't like a trans go shift kit, this is a real deal piece. One one the first and best mods I ever did.
yes, i want a Punisher VB for my diesel tow pig BAD! he is the man!

replaced the 93'ish coupe with a 76 F100, 393, 11.5:1, TEA CNC 205 TW's, custom Hyd Roller, Super Vic, 830 HP, AOD, Edge custom conv., Silverfox SPT-MAC-TB.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-07-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down You might want to avoid Monster Transmissions

Although this could be a made up site, a lot of the complaints seem to be about the over charging for shipping, and lots of failed Ford Transmissions:
66 MONSTER TRANSMISSION complaints and reviews @ Pissed Consumer
Tarheels1 likes this.

1989 5.0 Notch Mustang
1994 Lightning
post #7 of 8 Old 02-27-2016, 05:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (18)
Good luck with anything under $3000 if you want it to last and perform well. E4ODs are very expensive to rebuild properly. They have a lot of built in quirks and issues that need to be addressed. The parts cost a fortune (that is if you can find good used parts). Be prepared to spend at least around 400-500 just for a decent torque converter, then add in the parts cost for all the updates (i.e. planetaries, center support, pump, sprags, solenoid pack, MLPS, etc) and hope your existing parts are all in good shape. Proper valve body upgrades are critical with this transmission and most techs don't have a clue how to do them. The front pump also needs various updates and machining. If your lucky enough to live in a major city, call around to see if someone specializes in E4ODs and has a good word of mouth reputation, otherwise you'll likely have a 200 lb paper weight on your hands.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-23-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

I ended up getting it rebuilt local, lasted a year and failed I then brought it back, they rebuilt it again on warranty, and its been several month and it seems to be working fine. I did have the Transmission updated to 95 and beyond parts, spent about 3k the first time.
If it should fail again, I may just look at putting in a manual trans. For about 5k I probably could have went with a TKO Setup.

1989 5.0 Notch Mustang
1994 Lightning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement