Just purchased '93L...have questions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-25-2002, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Just purchased '93L...have questions

Hello All-

I just picked up a '93L. Just as background, I'm familiar with carbed hipo buildups (I've done a 460, 390, and 408w) but this is my first performance EFI vehicle. Also, it has a Powerdyne (pulleyed to 9psi) which is new to me.

It had FRPP headers, offroad cat back, MSD with boost retard, 70mm throttle body, SuperChip, and an Eaton Posi as well.

Now, sorry for being vague...but it also has a pump wired in on a toggle switch...obviously to help with fuel volume.

From what I understand, the FMU is a 12:1 unit...I've only had the truck a few hours so info is a little sketchy right now. I saw 70+ fuel psi under boost so I guess that's a good thing with stock injectors. Set the boost retard at 2*/psi. It still pings under boost. My question is...how exactly to stop this? I didn't check base timing yet, but I'd think with boost retard it would be ok anyway. As for the SuperChip...it was in there when the owner bought it so he didn't have any info...I'm guessing it could be increasing timing which is contradicting the msd retard.

So...as I said...I'm an EFI newbie. From what I gather I could have it dyno tuned and a new chip burned to hopefully eliminate any ping on 92oct? I'm also considering going back to 6psi...it really is a daily driver and tow vehicle so I don't need to push it. Also, heard about guys using a powerstroke intercooler...any links to info?

Thanks for any advice...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-30-2002, 10:13 AM

Congrats on your new truck! It sounds like your fuel pressure is right on, so I wouldn't mess with that. I would ditch that superchip, especially if it was added before the supercharger since most chips will add timing. Seeing as how you have a sound mechanical background I would get an eec-tuner or tweecer from Raymond at performance specialties (www.iwantperformance.net) An eec-tuner is basically like a chip that you can reprogram with a lap-top. If you don't want to go that route, a dyno tuned chip will work fine too.
As far as the powerstroke intercooler goes, most people don't use it with a powerdyne because you lose too much boost with it. I suspect you'd lose 2-3 lbs. I think you'd be better off lowering your boost to 6lbs. than adding an intercooler because the powerdynes are a little on the fragile side if you over-rev them. Hope this helps - Brian

87 Mustang Coupe YS-trimmed R-306 w/23lbs. of boost, Edelbrock heads, custom cam 233/241, Performer 5.0 intake, 75lb. inj., best et: [email protected]
94 Lightning
Kenne-Bell Supercharged
78 Trans Am
400 w/nitrous
post #3 of 5 Old 10-30-2002, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Truck is working out great so far.

Actually, the "pinging" situation seems under control now. I filled it up with 92oct figuring it was fine but it still pinged....since then I've filled it with 93oct from Exxon and 94 from Sunoco and it seems fine. May be that it's been raining here which has made the fuel curve a bit richer, although I'd think the computer would compesate and lean it out.....but then again without knowing what the chip is doing it's all guessing? Who knows...but it hasn't been pinging lately. I actually saw 80+ fuel psi at full boost since I could go full throttle without pinging.

I agree...the Superchip will go soon. The only reason it's in there is that I like the way it firms up the tranny shifts. Soon I'll buy a valve body so I can get rid of the chip.

I like the idea of the EEC tuner, but to be honest I only want the truck as a daily ride and tow vehicle for my racecar. So, I think going back to 6psi and getting a one time dyno tune and chip would be the way to go.

Thanks for the advice on the intercooler...makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-30-2002, 10:42 PM

Level Ten makes a nice shift kit for them. Runs around $150 and doesn't require any drilling into the valvebody.

87 Mustang Coupe YS-trimmed R-306 w/23lbs. of boost, Edelbrock heads, custom cam 233/241, Performer 5.0 intake, 75lb. inj., best et: [email protected]
94 Lightning
Kenne-Bell Supercharged
78 Trans Am
400 w/nitrous
post #5 of 5 Old 11-13-2002, 02:28 AM

harder, firmer shifts can be had by adding2-3 washers under the accumulator springs. the accum. body is easy to remove & reinstall and you don't have to pull the valve body or solenoid pack.i have a stock '93 that shifts great. i also do this to tune rebuilds on my customers trannies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement