Thinking about...... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-03-2002, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thinking about......

...selling my '93 mustang or trading it for a first generation lightning. I've always loved lightnings since I rode in a friends '93 about 2 years ago. I'd like to ask all you lightning owners what to look for in a lightning and how to go about finding one. I love the white ones but I know there are alot less of them around so i'd go for any color. What are the going prices for a lightning in good shape with decent mileage. I'd also like to get it running semi quick although it would be tough to get as fast as my car now, i'd settle for high 13's or even low 14's. That shouldn't be too hard is it? Any help at all on this topic would be greatly appreciated, even if I forgot to ask a question, thanks alot guys.

Erik D.
Married and Mustangless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-04-2002, 08:53 PM

http://www.nloc.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=418

post #3 of 6 Old 10-06-2002, 10:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
Cool My black '94 is for sale...

Click here if you have any interest at all:
http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread...threadid=25784

Here are some pics:
http://home.earthlink.net/~krlepp/index.html

Concerning what to look for, three things to keep an eye out for:

1) Traction lock clutch failure. Happens to all of 'em. easy diagnosis, besides one-wheel-peel, is the speedo needle jumping when you drive. The PCM gets it's speed signal from a sensor back on the diff, and when the cluches die, metal fragments get stuck to the sensor and makes the speedo jumpy.

2) Front brakes suck. They stop well for a couple of hard braking events, but they warp easily.

3) Front passenger side radius arm bushing dies due to being next to one of the catalytic converters.

Of course, I've just serviced my truck in those areas.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-07-2002, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Very nice truck. I am still trying to decide what to do though. I'm not too sure yet if my insurance would go up or down so I still have to look into that. I also like how my car gets 24mpg on the highway and still runs fast. What kind of mileage does your lightning get, from what I've seen, i think they get around 18mpg on the highway, is that about right? I also have to see what I'm gonna do with my car before I can get another vehicle, I'd like to find someone willing to trade but I know thats like finding a needle in a haystack so if I get serious about getting a lightning it will go up for sale. Thanks.

Erik D.
Married and Mustangless
post #5 of 6 Old 10-09-2002, 01:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
Thanks.

Insurance on Lightnings (Gen1) is typically dirt cheap.....the insurance companies I have ever used saw it as a regular F-150 rate-wise. But I do know it was in their systems as a "Lightning" due to the fact that their systems pick out the 8th digit of the VIN (R-code) and they have all stated "F-150 Lightning". I figure that if I evey need them on a claim, I'll have no problem standing up to 'em and making sure they treat it as an L and not a regular work truck.

My truck gets 13.5-14mpg around town and 17-19 out on the highway depending on speed. I've gotten 19 at a constant 55-60mph on a long trip, but 17-18 is more the norm for 72mph cruising. Beautiful thing is that all Lightnings have dual fuel tanks, so there's a nice range to 'em. That is, it's nice until you fill 'em up.....that hurts the wallet at one time.

Good luck!

Last edited by Thndrn_Lightning; 10-09-2002 at 01:13 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-09-2002, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. I used to own a '94 F150 so I know insurance ain't too bad on them, wasn't too sure if it was higher for lightnings though. I also had dual tanks so I know they hit the wallet hard when you fill 'em up. I put my car on here for a fairly high price for now but may get more serious about selling it and drop the price next week. I'm really looking forward to having another truck, especially a semi-quick one. here is my car if anyone is interested:

https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...hreadid=178708

Like I said, its kinda high right now, I'm about to go out of town and will drop the price maybe when I get back, later.

Erik D.
Married and Mustangless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement