Affordable Exhaust? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-18-2002, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Lightbulb Affordable Exhaust?

I am a poor college student looking to go fast for cheap. I was wondering what are the most affordable exhaust components for the lightning. I know you can get summit (Flowtech?) headers for the 351 for 160.00, or mac equal length shortys for 230.00. I also know you can get off road x-h-pipes for it as well...I do not know who makes them, or how much they cost. I do not want to spend 600.00 for a cat back system, so does anyone know of a more affordable system? I also wonder if it might be cheaper to have a muffler shop custom bend an exhaust from the headers back...How much would that run me? Any info on your experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks, Zach

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-18-2002, 03:30 PM

I have Bassani components, and love them, but it does cost a lot. I believe I bought my equal-shorty headers for $240, the high-flow catpipe for $400, and I bought a used custom catback for $350 (it cost him $600 to make though). A custom exhaust could be cheaper, or more expensive. My catback is dual stainless steel 2.5" tubes, with dual Dynomax Ultra-Flo stainless steel mufflers, and all mandrel bends, exits in front of the rear wheel. That'd be more expensive to make. Any exhaust shop can whip one up for cheap, but it won't have the quality, or performance, of bought ones.

I'd suggest the Pickrel Performance exhaust system. It's a fellow that's made up a complete exhaust, from longtube headers back, with no cats. I believe the whole system runs about $700, but you have to remove your front fuel tank. He's making other systems that retain the fuel tanks. He's a vender over at NLOC... but I can't get over there. That site goes down more than a ... well, I won't say It's just down a lot. www.nloc.net , and search for the Pickrel Performance forum.

post #3 of 6 Old 09-24-2002, 06:08 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

If you really are a poor college student (like I am) then you'll like the "affordable exhaust components" that I used. I took my '95 Lightning (not L) to the local Muffler Bros and for $30 they cut off the cat-back exhaust & ran 2.5" aluminized pipe from the cats out to the right side in front of the RR tire. Looks like the newer Lightning pipes and sounds pretty good too. With this, a K&N, and 14 degrees of timing, the truck ran 15.30 @ 88mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-26-2002, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Affordable Exhaust

Well, I went down to a Mytee in Toledo, Ohio, and I had them weld 2.5" tubing onto the stock muffler flange, with 3" polished stainless tips, exiting in front of the RR tire, level with the body. It looks and sounds SWEEEEEEEEET!!! Thanks for the info. Now for underdrive pulleys, and a shift kit.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-17-2002, 05:49 PM

You can get Longtube headers made by hedman part# hed-89270 from summit for $132.99. Very good headers and affordable. I dropped my cats and had a custom exhuast with flows and turndowns.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-25-2002, 03:58 PM

Hey "zrg91gt", we are neighbors, I'm in Temperance Mi, just a few miles below you. How much did mytee charge you for that setup? Its ironic that next week I was planning on taking my truck there to see how much that same setup would cost to have done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement