Update on 'rl's problem - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-16-2002, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Update on 'rl's problem

The truck has been sitting for a couple of weeks because Rob got the Cougar running, but I decided I'd like to race it at BG-since my car's tranny is too fragile to race there. But we gotta get it running right first. Still feels like it's not running on all 8 and sometimes it pops on acceleration and the power is not there.

It's giving 3 codes: EGR, TPS and a tranny code (temp). We cleaned and looked over the EGR, but the way Fords are, the codes don't always point to the obvious. Found out there is no vacuum to the EGR at part throttle when the engine is warmed. This can be caused by: bad ECT, Bad TPS and a bad solenid or vacuum leak or I suppose a bad EEC. Got a new ECT-didn't help. I suspect it's the TPS,-not the adjustment-it's fine-there probably is a dead spot at part throttle. The EEC doesn't know when its at part throttle-we have a TPS on order-we'll see. We tried another MAP sensor and it makes no difference. I suppose it could be valve springs or some other mechanical cause, but we have to get the codes sorted out first.

The one weird thing is we tried to do a cylinder balance test-we smelled raw gas and suspected a stuck open injector-and the darn truck would not do the test. After the KOER test, we tried giving it gas-didn't work-floored it-didn't work. This has us stumped.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks,
Don (Rob's dad...)

95 Lightning - Slow
95 Convertible 357 turbo
10.5/135 @ 3800#
SCT Tuned

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-16-2002, 11:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Now that's damn cool, a father and son who share the same hobby and both post on the corral.

Well it sounds like you guys are on the right track. But I have no idea. lol sorry

post #3 of 5 Old 09-17-2002, 11:22 AM
rl

Trader Feedback: (1)
If the TPS doesnt fix it, I am going to pull a valve cover and see if the thing has 1.7 rockers on it that might be missadjusted....But we still have to get the codes figured out. Could the TOT (transmission oil temperature sensor) be causing the problem? (possibly throwing the truck into limp mode or such?)

The codes where 53 66 32 during a Key On Engine Running test, as my dad pointed out, we could not get the truck to go into a cylinder balance test.

Single Turbo EEC-V Powered 1994 Lightning

[email protected]
570rwhp/700rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-17-2002, 02:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Code 66 is set if the resistance for the TOT sensor is below 597 ohms.....the pcm thinks the sensor has a short

check pins 37 and 57 at the pcm harness to see if you have a short. The TOT sensor is built in to the trans solenoid pack and if there's a problem the whole pack will need to be replaced

94 Lightning
Intercooled Novi 2000
[email protected]
post #5 of 5 Old 09-17-2002, 02:15 PM
rl

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by blownlightning
Code 66 is set if the resistance for the TOT sensor is below 597 ohms.....the pcm thinks the sensor has a short

check pins 37 and 57 at the pcm harness to see if you have a short. The TOT sensor is built in to the trans solenoid pack and if there's a problem the whole pack will need to be replaced
Would this be causing a lack of power at WOT?

Single Turbo EEC-V Powered 1994 Lightning

[email protected]
570rwhp/700rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement