Handling Issues - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-16-2002, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Angry Handling Issues

Hello, my new toy is driving me up the walls! I replaced the radius arm bushings on sunday with napa polyurethane bushings (the old ones were loooong goone!!!). Before the replacement the truck pulled to the right with a slight shake at 55 mph. Now, after the replacement, and rotation of tires, it pulls hard to THE RIGHT! The shake is much more severe now, too. The tie rods apear in good shape (nice and tight), and the brakes do not drag. The outside of the right front tire was worn much more than the rest of the tires, and I can push the spindle in and out a little, too. The wheel bearings are tight as well. Could this be the symptoms of a bad set of ball joints? I think this is a little weird on a truck with 80,000 street miles. Is this a common problem with Lightnings, and if so why? I am suprised because my 91 F-150 has over 120k on it and it is still nice and tight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Zach

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-16-2002, 11:19 AM

The steering box wears out prematurely on the 93 - 95 L's. I just ordered mine from Napa this morning.

My L does the same thing, 55 and under if I hit a bump or slow down too fast it shakes like you wouldn't believe. It's a pretty common problem.

post #3 of 6 Old 09-16-2002, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Steering Issues

Well, I am sure that the problem doesn't lie in the steering box or worn tie rods, because both are super tight. My bad, I meant to say that the truck now pulls to the left, not right. Is the caster/camber adjustable on these trucks? The only thing I see that would affect it is the ball joints ( correct me if I am wrong).... How much play in them is acceptable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-16-2002, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Question Handling issue

The steering box is tight. Can you adjust caster/camber on these trucks? The only thing I see that can affect it is the ball joints. Sorry, I meant to say that the truck switched, and is pulling to the left. How much play is acceptable in ball joints?
post #5 of 6 Old 09-16-2002, 03:21 PM

I have had occassional problems with my ball joints. About once a year, one of them somewhere needs replacing.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-18-2002, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Handling issues

Well, I went through the truck, and this is what I found... The drivers side lower ball joint was bad; replaced, the passenger side wheelbearing had no preload; tightened, all 4 tires were in need of balancing, 2 worn out of round. After this, it rides really smooth, with a very slight pull to the right. I will check alignment this weekend. Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement