distributor gear - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-16-2014, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
distributor gear

95 351w, rebuild, when i took the motor apart, i thought there was a shim or thin washer under the dist. drive gear,,,,is there supost to be one there, between the block and drive gear????thanks for your thoughts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-16-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

I CAN'T EVEN FIND A PIC ON GOOGLE IMIGES, But the gear is on a small {2"## shaft, that is droped into the hole, and matched to the oil pump drive rod,,,,then the dist. is dropped into it....the gear is not on the distributor,,,,,

post #3 of 4 Old 03-16-2014, 10:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Yes, there is a thin cupped washer on the end of oil pump drive shaft. Last time I built a motor my buddy was bolting up pump and putting pan on while I was doing something else. He forgot to install shaft in pump and we did not realize until everything was in car and stabbing distributor. I just took that little washer off with pliers (it is attached to shaft). Then slightly bent a piece of metal tubing just tight enough to wedge the shaft end into it. Then I just installed pump shaft into pump down through distributor hole. You just have to have distributor clocked correctly when you stab it or you risk shaft sticking in distributor and then pulling out of pump and falling into oil pan when you pull distributor back out to align shaft into pump. So yes there is a thin washer on pump shaft.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-17-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

sorry, i think you miss understood, ,,,,distributor is on top, it slides into the geared shaft that runs off the cam, that inturn slides into the oil pump drive shaft, then oil pump at the bottom,,,,,,so there are 4 seperate pieces,,,pump, pump drive shaft, this geared shaft, and distributor,,,its the geared shaft,that runns off the cam, that sits on the block that i'm concerned with,,,should it have a shim between the gear and the block?????
one pic shows where the dist fits into,,,,pro comp dis...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00232-20140317-1603.jpg (69.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00231-20140317-1602.jpg (69.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by STEWD8; 03-17-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: adding pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement