Big Block in a 93? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-10-2002, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Big Block in a 93?

How hard would it be to cram a 460 into the engine bay of a 93. Would it just bolt up if you use engine mounts from a F250? Will the 460 connect to the E40D tranny? What issues might one encounter when trying this swap? Could the Computer be used with a fuel injecytion wire harness from a 96-97 F250 to control the big block? Know anyone who has done it?

1965 Ford Falcon 2dr Hardtop Full PT Set-up - Build underway.

Dark Highland Green 2003 Supercrew 5.4 - Riding low and procharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-10-2002, 10:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
The swap is not that easy. The front crossmembers are different, requiring you to either use a remote oil filter kit, or switch to a 460/diesel crossmember. The 460 also has a different bellhousing bolt pattern, so the stock e40d will not work. Its kindof iffy if f250 wireharness will work with the stock cab harness because it seems that every year or so some pins get switched around from time to time. Also 460s use 24 lb/hr injectors so your factory computer probably will not work. The alt, smog pump, p/s and a/c brackets are different. If you have the $$$ to get all this stuff i say do it

2001 Cobra sorta stock
post #3 of 11 Old 09-11-2002, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Modman,
That sucks that it is such an involved swap. I was thinking that using a big block would be a cheaper (and more reliable) way to get cubic inches than having to stroke the hell out of a 351. It sounds like you would need a donor F250 to do the swap and that is something we don't have. Oh, well, back to figuring out how to get as many Cubic inches for as little $$ as possible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-12-2002, 12:10 AM

The april issue of Mustangs and Fast Fords has an article about a Lightning ,a 95 to be exact. The owner installed a 514 crate motor. He replaced the factory oil pan and pump with a canton 6qt. unit and matching pump. He sent the manifold out to Force Fuel Injection in florida, they welded in injector bungs on to the intake ports with 42 lb. injectors then used a dominaton throttle body kit. A stock computer modified by by Mike Wesley of Ypsilanta Mich. Then he needed custom headers and used a c-6 trans. his best time the mag. said was 11.54 @119mph
post #5 of 11 Old 09-12-2002, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

So how hard would it be to replace the crossmember, just go the junk yard and pull one off of a F250-350 that had the bigblock? Are there any other mounting parts we would have to find?

If we went with the 460 the truck would become a show/race truck because it would never pass emissions, if we go with a 331/408 we might still pass emissions. The bigblock would be so much cooler though. In reallity money is also a concern. It takes about the same money to get 550+hp no matter if you go with a blown 331 or a N/A Big Block.

post #6 of 11 Old 11-26-2002, 11:12 PM

I can't remember if it was here or on NLOC but there was a post from someone who did this. Keep searching.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-27-2002, 07:02 PM

Look for a guy on the NLOC named turbo598 He installed a turbo charged 598 that pulls 900 horsepower on pump gas at only 6lbs. of boost. He thinks there should be more big block powered Gen 1's out there If you want the feeling of more cubes, I'd go with a Kenne Bell supercharger - Brian

87 Mustang Coupe YS-trimmed R-306 w/23lbs. of boost, Edelbrock heads, custom cam 233/241, Performer 5.0 intake, 75lb. inj., best et: [email protected]
94 Lightning
Kenne-Bell Supercharged
78 Trans Am
400 w/nitrous
post #8 of 11 Old 12-03-2002, 01:12 PM

Just a thought... My brother-in-law has a 250 with a 460 backed by an E4OD, I thin it even has MAS air, but not sire on that. Anyway, the stock computer for it is ALT0 (zero), so maybe someone can do a chip, tuner, or tweecer.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-03-2002, 09:16 PM

Cool

HEY LOWFAST GO TO http://www.mspmall.com/ddautospec/ THESE GUYS HAVE WHAT YOU NEED. AND ALSO GO TO http://www.holcomania.com/ THEY ALSO HAVE A KIT TO DO SWAPS INTO FOX BODYS. I DID A 357w INTO A 86GT. I'M THINKING ABOUT A 460 INTO A COUPE. LET ME KNOW IF I CAN HELP YOU WITH MORE INFO. HIT ME AT "[email protected]"
post #10 of 11 Old 12-04-2002, 11:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Check out www.ford-trucks.com Check out the forum for the 87-96 trucks. Post this question there and you'll get good response from it. I check out that site often and they have guys on there that have done this swap before.

John

post #11 of 11 Old 12-07-2002, 02:20 AM

I wouldn't do the swap on a Lightning, but I would & I am on a reg F-150 (see sig). The L was made to go fast both @ the strip & @ the road coarse. By putting the BB up front you kill the handling (it would be like the 454 SS). Be sides if you make the stroker look stock you can tell everyone its just a 351
Sponsored Links
Advertisement