Lets Talk Mass Air Conversion - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-29-2002, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Unhappy Lets Talk Mass Air Conversion

Ok, you guys are my last hope. I have talked to Ford, FRPP, and a bunch of aftermarket companies. How do you convert a 93 F150 with a 351 stroker and an E40D to Mass air. Ford tries to sell me a kit but it comes with 19lb injectors and a wimpy little MAF. All I need is the computer (one that will control the E40D tranny) and the wire harness, we will add 50lb injectors and the MAF meter of our own choosing. Ford refuses to sell me these two items individually. Do I go to a junk yard and pirate from a mass air equiped truck, if so what year? Are there any other alternatives, is there a place I can buy the computer (a A9P I believe) that I need and also pick up a wire harness? Any of you Lightning guys who have converted how did you do it and what would you suggest for best performance and bang for the buck?

1965 Ford Falcon 2dr Hardtop Full PT Set-up - Build underway.

Dark Highland Green 2003 Supercrew 5.4 - Riding low and procharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-29-2002, 03:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
one alternative would be getting an EEC-tuner and staying speed density

post #3 of 21 Old 08-29-2002, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

That was the origional plan, to stay SD and get an EEC-Tuner, but I am worried that we will not be able to run a decent cam (vacuum issues). If we get a custom ground cam will it be 'enough' for a good street engine? Who makes a good custom cam that would extract good power out of a 427?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 08-29-2002, 07:31 PM

Cam Motion........
post #5 of 21 Old 08-29-2002, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

I have heard of Cam Motion before, do they have a web site or does anyone have a phone number. I would like to get ahold of them and find out what they suggest and if they think they can grind a cam that will work well for me. Thanks

post #6 of 21 Old 08-29-2002, 08:35 PM

Cam Motion

225-926-6110

94 Lightning
Intercooled Novi 2000
[email protected]
post #7 of 21 Old 08-29-2002, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys, as usualy you have been a great deal of help. I will give Cam Motion a call and see what they say.

post #8 of 21 Old 08-30-2002, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Talked to Cam Motion today, spoke with Kip. Sounds like they will be able to fix us up with what we need to stay with Speed Density. So here is the Combo, give me your thoughs, should we change anything or does it sound good, I NEED OPINIONS.

427 stroker (roller block) (using CHP kit?)
10.5:1 compression (has to run on pump gas)
AFR 185 heads (have to pass emisions)
Trick flow 351 intake
Cam Motion Custom Cam
75mm TB
EEC-Tuner
42lb injectors
Competition Machine of Plano will be putting it all together for us.

The truck is daily driven, the goal is power, reliablitlity and still be albe to squeeze past the sniffer test. So will this combo get us 500+ hp and 500+ torque at the crank?

post #9 of 21 Old 08-30-2002, 06:33 PM

looks pretty sweet, 500 hp should be easy
post #10 of 21 Old 09-28-2002, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (23)
Question Upgrading a friend's '94

I've never worked on a Lightning before and a buddy of mine in Key West, FL wants to get his '94's engine rebuilt with forged pistons and then probably take the easy way out by adding a blower. He wants to know if the '93-'95 Lightnings require the mass air upgrade with the blower install. I thought about finding a way to wire up the truck for MAF without buying the kit, but then there's that electronic overdrive tranny. I got to thinking if maybe an engine harness from a 1994-'95 Mustang 5.0 with an AOD-E would swap over easily. My buddy would also like to know if any other companies other than Heddman or Hooker make longtube headers that work in these trucks?

Helmut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Do you want to get the bolt out, or do you want to worry about getting your skirt dirty?
post #11 of 21 Old 09-28-2002, 04:50 PM

mass air isnt required if you get a custom chip or have something like the EEC tuner even with a blower

on a mostly stock truck you can add a blower and it will be fine even without a chip though custom tuning helps a great deal
post #12 of 21 Old 09-30-2002, 09:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
Lightbulb DIY Lightning mass air

There are a few ways to build your own mass air for the Lightning.

One is to use an A9L and piggyback the stock Lightning PCM for tranny controls. The Pro-M setup does this. Can also use a Baumannator to control the tranny in conjunction with the A9L. And we all know that there are a variety of ways to tune an A9L. You'd just need to grab the wiring diagrans and build the appropriate jumper harnesses to tie 'em all together. Connectors can be had for cheap in some boneyards.

Another way is to use the VEX1 PCM from a '95 SEFI 302 F150 with the E4OD. This will match up with the factory Lightning emission controls and be "as if Ford would have done it in the first place". Part number for this computer is F5TF-12A650-HB. It must be a VEX1 catch code. All you need to do is either re-pin the stock underhood 60-pin connector and add sequential injector and mass air meter wires, else make an inline jumper harness to do this. It is definately be the cleanest method, IMHO. Anyone who burns Autologic chips should be able to get the software, else, the EEC-Tuner works to tune 'er in. Rumor has it that the TwEECer support is coming soon.

Final method is to use that California Bronco PCM deal that the Motorsport kit uses. However, the emissions controls don't quite match, but if you don't use emissions stuff, it doesn't matter anyway. You can build a jumper just like with the VEX1.....that's what Motorsport sells in their kit. And custom chips and the EEC-Tuner are there for tuning support.

I may build a few harnesses of the VEX1 setup in the near future if there's interest for it. Or if anyone wants to do this themselves, shoot me an email and I'd be glad to try to talk you through it. [email protected]

That said, unless you want to run a wicked cam, mass air isn't absolutely necessary in these days of custom tuning of speed density.

Later,

Kevin
Black '94 #907 - FOR SALE

'05 V6 GT/CS clone
'87 Saleen #194
'66 Mustang Coupe

Last edited by Thndrn_Lightning; 09-30-2002 at 09:13 PM.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-01-2002, 03:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
EEC conversion

Convert the pinout to a A9P (89-91 Auto mustang EEC), this will bring tremndous improvement.

EFI Calibrator
post #14 of 21 Old 03-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (23)
Anyone know what calibration code is on the EEC-IV that comes in the FRPP conversion kit ( part number M-9000-L58 )?

Helmut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Do you want to get the bolt out, or do you want to worry about getting your skirt dirty?
post #15 of 21 Old 03-24-2005, 09:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Ryan at www.fordfuelinjection.com sells the injector harness (and everything else) for the Mass conversion.

95 Lightning-Black #772
Edelbrock Heads / FMS 1.72 RR's
5.0 roller conversion-2* advanced
Bassani headers / x-pipe / side exit catback
MSD 6al / timing control / coil / wires / cap
ASP underdrives & smog pump delete
Modine 2" radiator / Dual efans

post #16 of 21 Old 04-01-2005, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELMUT RONER
Anyone know what calibration code is on the EEC-IV that comes in the FRPP conversion kit ( part number M-9000-L58 )?
AKC0
post #17 of 21 Old 04-07-2005, 07:05 AM

lowfast,

As there are several ways to go as thunder said.. i have tried 2
different mass air systems. I had a pro-m which splits the 2 EECs and runs
the motor off an A9L and the trans off the stock EEC. Which to utilize this
setup you have to burn 2 chips. I wasn't very happy with that setup at all.
Not to mention that its very expensive.

Next i tried the VEX1 swap wrote up by rob at lasotta racing. I think sal at PSP use to make a kit with this EEC as well. they no longer do. Anyways the
concept of 1 eec controlling everything is much better. for tuning options i
went with an SCT chip. Been very happy with this setup. Repinning the 60 pin
connector is a pretty easy job to do. Adding and splicing in the injector wires was easy too.

On another note tuning with the EEC tuner has come along way. Mass air isn't always the desired way anymore. Several guys in the lightning scene have really done great things with the EEC tuner programs and have fast trucks to prove it. If your just a little savy with a laptop then this won't be a hard to do either. Plenty of guys from here or NLOC can help with EEC tuner programs.

so it really comes down to which works for you......good luck..E

Last edited by erics91stang; 04-08-2005 at 07:59 AM.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-08-2005, 09:04 PM

post #19 of 21 Old 04-16-2005, 09:33 PM

Mass Air setup

I ran my 94 with a s-trim making 14 #'s of boost and a set of rockers... never had a problem with out mass air! Then i bought the Motorsport mass air with the 30# injectors, and I put heads and cam on too. It was a rocket!
post #20 of 21 Old 04-18-2005, 05:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Rob is actally running an EEC V now a GIN1 processor. He was going to go to a '94/95 Mustang processor T4M0 and use a Baumanaotr, but decided not to. Now we have the T4M0 harness, processor and Baumanator just sitting there gathering dust...

95 Lightning - Slow
95 Convertible 357 turbo
10.5/135 @ 3800#
SCT Tuned

post #21 of 21 Old 04-29-2005, 08:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Hey fireguy how about some instruction????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement