KB Blower on 408 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-22-2002, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question KB Blower on 408

We are in the process of building a 408 stroker for our 93 and I was wondering if any of you guys had a stroker with a KenneBell 2200 on it. The engine will be running AFR 185's and a built bottom end. What kind of Crank and Rear wheel HP & Torque numbers can we expect running 8.5:1 compression and as much boost as possible on 93 octane? Any information or personal experiences would be much appreciated.

1965 Ford Falcon 2dr Hardtop Full PT Set-up - Build underway.

Dark Highland Green 2003 Supercrew 5.4 - Riding low and procharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-23-2002, 05:42 PM

Hi,

There was a series of articles in MM&FF a few years back where they built up a 426 inch Windsor with KB blower on it. I think their motor had some compression in it, like 10:1 which obviously isn't optimal for a blower, but the rest of the combo was TFS Hi Ports (aka Street Heats), a fairly big Isky cam (something like 230/240 intake/exhaust durations), a GT40/Lightning lower, and a KB 1500 blower making like 7#'s of boost. I can't remember the flywheel HP, but I want to say it was something like 580 ish, which for 7#'s of boost wasn't that bad. Sorry to blab on like that, but point is, if you could find that article, it would probably help you a lot in deciding if you want to go the KB route.

As a former KB blower owner (on my LX), I can say from experience, they are a fun street blower. Lots of torque, just like they say, and it is a lot of fun to be able to stomp down on the gas pedal, and just blast the tires off the car. And it pulls pretty nice once the tires hook up too.

But..........as a current Vortech owner, I gotta say, the sensations are different, but the Vortech does support more HP. That's why I sold my KB blower, it will only support so much HP (as the kit comes anyway, there are guys that have fabricated other parts, such as inlet manifolds and intercoolers, that will make more HP, but that's a custom only deal, not the way Joe Average buys his KB blower). And the pull off the Vortech as the R's go up is pretty fuggin' cool. I saw a full weight Lightning at the track last year running in the low 11's with a stock bottom end, Edelbrock Peformers, a cam, and a T-trim pumping like 18#'s of boost. I think if I were building a 408, I'd probably want to put a T-Trim, D1, or a Novi on it.

Hope this helps,
Jim

post #3 of 9 Old 08-26-2002, 10:28 AM

Hi,

Addendum to my other post, check out the new MM&FF, there's a little info regarding that article I mentioned about the 426 KB blown Windsor. The article is pretty cool, it's like 16 different blown motor build ups.

See Ya,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-26-2002, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Have the article, that is what sparked the idea, but they used the 1500 blower, thanks. I think though we have decided to follow the N/A route. A 427 pushing 550+ hp at the crank should be plenty (for now) to get our brick of a truck moving pretty good.

1965 Ford Falcon 2dr Hardtop Full PT Set-up - Build underway.

Dark Highland Green 2003 Supercrew 5.4 - Riding low and procharged
post #5 of 9 Old 08-28-2002, 02:39 AM

There is a guy down in florida named Michael Frame who is running a blowzilla on a stroker like that. Don't know what kinda horsepower he is putting down, but I think he's dipping into the 11's in his Lightning. - Brian

87 Mustang Coupe YS-trimmed R-306 w/23lbs. of boost, Edelbrock heads, custom cam 233/241, Performer 5.0 intake, 75lb. inj., best et: [email protected]
94 Lightning
Kenne-Bell Supercharged
78 Trans Am
400 w/nitrous
post #6 of 9 Old 08-29-2002, 02:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Cool

MM&FF does say they got 500+ HP from the smaller K/B blower. I'm putting together a 427 with AFR's,crane cam plus all my other mods, including my K/B blower. Hope to be done in a couple of weeks. Later Alex

2016 V6 Mustang Race Red
post #7 of 9 Old 09-01-2002, 04:23 PM

LowFast.
I have been running a Kenne Bell Blowzilla for about 3 years. I,ve seen 500 r.w.h.p. and 625 Lbs. r.w. torque. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Mike Frame
post #8 of 9 Old 09-01-2002, 07:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Cool

Hey K/B93
I got a ?? Are you running Mass Air or custom chip.I'm wondering if may Mass Air is going to like the new stroker I'm installing this week. Later Alex

2016 V6 Mustang Race Red
post #9 of 9 Old 09-04-2002, 06:49 PM

Redltn,
I am running Motorsport mass air conversion with 50lb injectors, 2002 Lightning 90mm mass air meter and Accufab 85R throttle body.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement