Do the 94 up roller motors have forged internals? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-16-2002, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
5oh

Trader Feedback: (1)
Do the 94 up roller motors have forged internals?

Do the 94 up roller motors have forged internals?

2 Cars and a truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-16-2002, 09:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
first off they arent roller motors, they simply have a roller compatible block but still use the same hydrualic flat tappet cam the 93s use and secondly no they have standard ford hypereutectic pistons and cast rods and cranks

post #3 of 10 Old 08-18-2002, 12:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
On the up side, they are pretty strong. Stock short blocks properly tuned have held up around 600-650 horse. - Brian

87 Mustang Coupe YS-trimmed R-306 w/23lbs. of boost, Edelbrock heads, custom cam 233/241, Performer 5.0 intake, 75lb. inj., best et: [email protected]
94 Lightning
Kenne-Bell Supercharged
78 Trans Am
400 w/nitrous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-29-2002, 01:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
but will a hydrolic roller cam out of a mustang fit right into a 94-95 engine with no problems??? or not?

-'89 Coupe - Incon Twin Turbo - Sheetmetal Elbow on a EFI Victor-Trick Flow Heads-Viper T56-RXT-Baer Brakes-iforged Wheels-Griggs,MM,KB-DFI-
post #5 of 10 Old 09-01-2002, 12:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Thumbs up 351W Roller

Yes, a roller cam from a Mustang HO 302 will slip right in. I have a '95 roller block in a '92 F150 shortbed, and I have a mild Crane Cam 212in/222ex .493in/510 ex and the power is amazing. If you can find a donor motor like I did(from a wrecked '95 F150 4X4), it comes with a decent roller cam already in it, but the big part is that it comes with the complete roller setup, roller lifters, roler lifter guides, roller spider, etc. I am running mass air, and the truck is a total sleeper. I now have a Crane Compucam 2030, which I am going to install in September, which has more intake duration, and has higher lift, .533in/.544ex. A 351 can take a lot more cam than a 302, and still remain very well mannered for the street.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-04-2002, 11:11 AM

looking for a 351...

I have found a 95 351 from "a truck" it is complete... all I want is the short block really. I wasn't sure if the 95's would have all the roller goodies I want.

Could you help educate me
post #7 of 10 Old 09-04-2002, 11:27 AM

'95 truck 351

If this is the original engine installed by the factory, then it has a roller cam already in it, along with all of the 351 roller cam hardware already in the block. That is what I started with. The only exception to this would be an engine from a '95 Lightning, which is a roller-capable block, but has a flat tappet cam setup in it. There is a casting number on the block beginning with "F4", but it is a pain to find if the block is still in the truck. The number is cast into the side of the block right near the oil pan flange. Hope that this helps.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-04-2002, 11:39 AM

cool, it is a complete take out of a running truck, not sure how many miles (i'm sure a lot). The yard is asking 900.00. Does that seem a little high? I am going to call some other yards and see if they have a shortblock, since I already have the heads. I do like that it is an unmolested motor though. I have seen low mile lightning shortblocks for under 1000.00 I like that as a cheap way to get up and running sooner.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-04-2002, 11:56 AM

Price is all relative.....I bought my engine in '99, it had 45,000 miles on it and I paid $750, which I thought was a good price. If I were you, and going to put this engine into something other than a Lightning, then I would stay away from the Lightning engines. They are great engines, but you can make more horsepower with a non-Lightning roller engine than you can with a flat tappet L block. I like to leave the Lightning stuff for the Lightning owners!!!

If you get a good deal on a high-mileage engine, I have a bunch of new 351 parts which I have accumulated over the last 3 years. I have a Keith Black pistons w/rings, a complete Lightning GT40 setup, a couple of new Crane roller cams which are perfect lightning sticks, 2 pairs of new GT40P heads, and some other stuff which I am sure that I am forgetting.

Good luck on your project.....
post #10 of 10 Old 09-04-2002, 01:04 PM

Thanks... right now I have a 302 with TFS TW heads, TFS intake, TFS stage 1 cam, I figure i'll have the heads proted and put them on the 351, sell the intake, 24# injectors, throttle body, my shortblock, and get the TFS R 351 intake, 75mm TB, 30# injectors, and a better cam. I was thinking about the DSS rotating assy. For 1100 buck it seems like a good buy, and dss are supposed to be good.

So the 95 motor would be a good foundation. Cool I imagine that the non-lightning motors are easier to find anyway.

Thank again for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement