Slow Lightning - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-15-2002, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (10)
Slow Lightning

My buddy has a 93 Lightning w/ T/W heads, mass air conversion, Lunati 51014 roller cam, roller rockers, 70mm t/b, hooker headers, no converters, and flows. Went to the track a couple of weeks ago and ran a dissapointing 15.30 at 90mph. The truck had been to the same track a few months earlier and ran a 14.50 @95mph. The only thing that changed was the mass air conversion and the cam. I thought it would be faster, but it went 8 tenths slower! The truck shifts real hard too, but has no shift kit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2002, 10:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Was the weather any different?

I have heard very mixed results from the mass air conversion, most people now just keep the speed denstiy and run a EEC tuner.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2002, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it was about 80 degrees the second time and about 60 the first time. The miles per hour also fell from 95 to 90. The truck feels much faster after the mass air and cam swap. I was shocked by the slower times. Maybe it needs a stall since the cam has given up quite a bit of low end grunt. Funny thing is, it ran a 15.50 @90 in drive and shifting at 4700 RPM, but manually shifting at 5700 RPM produced the exact same et and mph!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-16-2002, 05:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
What's the specs on the cam? The power band on the cam may be too high, and unless you have changed the programming in the computer, the truck is probably shifting around 5000. That can slow you down... no low end and right when the power comes in... shift.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-16-2002, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

The specs on the cam are 218 [email protected] & 226exh, lift is 500 & 510 w/ 112 lobe sep. Lunati lists it from 2300 to 5800 rpm. I think a stall will help. The mass air conversion came with a reprogrammed computer but the shift points are still at 4800 rpm. Tried manually shifting at 5800 rpm, but made no diff at all in the mph and et.

1995 Crystal White Cobra
331 Stroker
1993 Lightning
351 Windsor
post #6 of 6 Old 08-17-2002, 12:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
i think the cam might be screwed or wrong cam lift? he needs to experiment with the truck on timing and mass air flow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement