SC'd and fuel concerns.... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 09-04-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (79)
SC'd and fuel concerns....

Well I finally came across a Vortech kit for my 94 Lightning look a like. Kit came with FMU and boost retard and was running on a stock 93 Lightning when I got it.

II eventeually will be getting a set of 42# injectors and bigger pumps and tune. But want to put this thing on so bad I cant stand it. And once I get the pumps and stuff, plan on an 8" renegade pulley set-up. But for now will run stock vortech pulley set-up 6.87 and 3.33..

Here is my thought so I can run it a while til I gather the better pumps and bigger pulley set-up.

Run a Kenny Bell boost a pump on stock front pump, 255HP intank for rear, 19# injectors, FMU for 19's, MSD boost retard, aermotive fuel rails and regulator.

I dont have a stock GT40 lightning motor is what my concern is. My combo is 351 bored 30 over, Probe pistons, aluminum GT40 X-303 heads, stock lightning GT40 intake, 70mm TB,, and my truck is mass air,

My concern is, will the 1st fuel system be OK to use until I get all the other to make it right?? Only reason I ask,,,,, it is really driving m Bonkers having the blower kit sitting around and could be ran....

Mike

1987 ~T-top GT project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (82)
We sell drop in 255lph and 300lph pumps for those.. PM me for details. Let me know if you are looking to get rid of the kit my 95 L would love it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M-F 9am-6pm PST
1-818-574-FUEL (3835)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AIM: HighFlowFuel

PM or Email us for the absolute BEST pricing on:
AEM | AFR | ARP | BBK | Bosch | Fuelab | Injector Dynamics | Innovate | Magnaflow | Maximum Motorsports
Phenix Industries | RC Engineering | Siemens | StopTech | Walbro | QFS 340LPH Fuel Pumps
And More!
post #3 of 20 Old 09-07-2012, 12:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
With the stock Lightning intank pump parts (I think same a reg F150) you can run with FMU 2 stock intank and a 190 inline pump. The thing to do is to run a 3 pump trick. At lower boost 1-2PSI the intank pump comes on that your not running on comes on. At higher boost 4-5PSI the inline comes on. Go to NLOC.net and search pump trick.

95 Mustang 351 MM PHB/TA MM2 rear shocks and coilovers
17x10.5 sqaure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-07-2012, 01:43 PM

Lightnings have same pumps as regular F-150s/Broncos

With our drop in 255lph pump you dont have to do any of that. 1 single pump well be good for 450-500+rwhp and you can still utilize both tanks with individual pumps. Instead of the FMU you run a boost reference fuel pressure regulator. FMU's are old technology and can be real hard on pumps.

HFP 255LPH Fuel Pump Assembly *Front Tank* Ford SVT Lightning 1993 - 1995

M-F 9am-6pm PST
1-818-574-FUEL (3835)

AEM | AFR | ARP | BBK | Bosch | Fuelab | Injector Dynamics | Innovate | Magnaflow | Maximum Motorsports
Phenix Industries | RC Engineering | Siemens | StopTech | Walbro | QFS 340LPH Fuel Pumps
And More!
post #5 of 20 Old 09-08-2012, 12:32 AM

Yeah good luck with that when it starts cross flowing. Running on one tank but the return fuel dumps in the other tank.

17x10.5 sqaure
post #6 of 20 Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (30)
Garage
i can attest for matt's pumps! AWESOME quality! AWESOME customer service! and lightning (no pun intended) fast shipping! i put his 300LPH in my tank, fell right into place, i finally ditched the T-Rex, and it was whisper quiet! i had to watch the FP gauge to see if it was running!

as for making it work in your scenario... i dunno dat stuff.

replaced the 93'ish coupe with a 76 F100, 393, 11.5:1, TEA CNC 205 TW's, custom Hyd Roller, Super Vic, 830 HP, AOD, Edge custom conv., Silverfox SPT-MAC-TB.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 AM

I saw where he is over on nloc getting the correct answers already. So he's good to go.

17x10.5 sqaure
post #8 of 20 Old 09-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Blitz View Post
Yeah good luck with that when it starts cross flowing. Running on one tank but the return fuel dumps in the other tank.
That does not seem to be an issue when installing a brand new pump and a brand new "module" with all new stuff for the return. Even have customers running 300lph pumps in both tanks. I have personally had a 255 in the front tank of mine for 2000+ miles with no issues returning fuel to the wrong tank.

Further more if that ever became an issue you could run a splitter for the tanks wired to the selector switch.

M-F 9am-6pm PST
1-818-574-FUEL (3835)

And More!
post #9 of 20 Old 09-10-2012, 11:08 PM

WOW so now you want him to buy all that stuff to run a fuel system he doesn't even need.

Like I said above he is at nloc getting the info he needs from people that have been there done it, not someone trying to sell him something.

17x10.5 sqaure

Last edited by 95Blitz; 09-10-2012 at 11:14 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
WOW so now you want him to buy all that stuff to run a fuel system he doesn't even need.

Like I said above he is at nloc getting the info he needs from people that have been there done it, not someone trying to sell him something.

Heh

I am just giving him a tested drop in option that requires no modifications. If he wants to use both stock in tank pumps and hack up the factory fuel lines and keep fuel in both tanks at all times thats cool. Like I said before I am running one of these in my 95 Lightning..

Just because you don't like my answer you don't have to keep being negative. I am just giving him what I believe is a better option then running both stock pumps at the same time along with any inline pumps further more running an FMU. This is 2012 things have come along way since the days of FMU's

M-F 9am-6pm PST
1-818-574-FUEL (3835)

And More!

Last edited by [email protected]; 09-11-2012 at 03:52 PM.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (30)
Garage
Quote:

You obviously don't know Matt! He's not trying to sell something, he's just answering the question asked, if this guy didn't want anyone to answer why would he ask????? back atcha.

Oh, and if he's got all the answers elsewhere, it won't bother him that someone replied here... Why does it bother you? another one for ya.

replaced the 93'ish coupe with a 76 F100, 393, 11.5:1, TEA CNC 205 TW's, custom Hyd Roller, Super Vic, 830 HP, AOD, Edge custom conv., Silverfox SPT-MAC-TB.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Settled done guys.. I take all advice, the more knowledge the better..

Not going to run FMU, gonna wait til I get set of 42's before I install the blower. Already got a meter and working with a place for tune. So I am considering all options for the fuel, just looking for info on what is out there for the f150(Lightnings)

Thanks for all replies guys...

Mike

1987 ~T-top GT project
post #13 of 20 Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I personally have a 93 Lightning with AFR heads and a Vortech making 15#'s of intercooled boost. I ran an in tank 190 plus a 255 inline. With just the in tank pump running it will run out of fuel at about 4000 RPM's. With the 255 activated via a hobbs switch at 2 psi it runs great all the way through the powerband.

There are many exa,ples of people trying the mustang 255 pumps in the canister syle pickup in the Lightning fuel tank. Almost all have experienced running the canister dry on full passes. Not something you want to do when making 12+ pounds of boost. In adition to the canister being sucked dry, there is also a strong possibility of crossflow between tanks. When I manulaay turn on the 255 inline, my front tank will empty into the rear tank. I have new fuel pump modules in both tanks.

1995 Crystal White Cobra
331 Stroker
1993 Lightning
351 Windsor
post #14 of 20 Old 09-25-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Heard about the 255 mustang pump sucking the canister dry. Already had a mustang 255lph, and was going to try and modify the canister. Thats what I was going to do until I found that out. Lucked out and a person I know seen my thread that has a SC'd lightning. He had an extra inline pump and let me get hook up.

Mike

1987 ~T-top GT project
post #15 of 20 Old 10-05-2012, 03:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
when im ready to do my powerdyne kit (thanks to diabolic) i may just pick one of these up for my rear (and only tank) and ditch the trex and fmu. seems like a good deal for a complete drop in unit

Black 1994 f150 Lightning #425 of 1382
FMS GT40 X305s, FMS SVO power dyne kit, Circle D Valvebody, windstar fans, Mac long tubes into spintechs, Rancho long bars, FMS 4.56s strapped to an Eaton locker and FMS Axle girdle, prothane bushings and shiney wheels
post #16 of 20 Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
This is directed to all that plan on this 255 unit.Matt especially.This isn't a shot at the pump.It is working fine,the problem is I have a serious cross flow issue into the front tank.I noticed the needle dropping very quick the last couple days and today the front tank overflowed and started pouring out.It didn't for about 4-5 days of use then Wednesday the needle started dropping.I don't know if you have any other people having this issue but I am.Not mad about it.Just wish there was a way to correct it.I only have the rear unit.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 PM

Do you have the 255 modules from us in both tanks? If so they do both have a life time warranty and you could send the one having backflow issues in for a replacement.

FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVE GAS OR DIESEL AUXILLARY TANK | eBay

A switch meant for a dual tank carb truck would work really well cause its only the return you are worried about. So you would take the return line Y out and put that in. It could also be wired up with fuel tank selector switch

As I have said before I have not had any customers report back draining the canister on full pass's. Due to this thread I came up with a solution that lets more filtered fuel in while still retaining the functions of the module.

Further more for all you guys running inline pumps with stock pumps or 190s how is that not draining the canister or creating backflow problems? I know a 190lph pump + a 255lph pump doesnt = 445lph but I would still think the same problems would exist.

Additionally for any one not wanting to deal with dual tanks Y valves splitters or any of that other fun stuff you can remove the front and rear tanks and install a Bronco rear tank. The bronco rear tanks are 33 gallons and fit in place of the factory rear tank and will house the HFP-A27BH or any other pump meant for a truck rear tank.

M-F 9am-6pm PST
1-818-574-FUEL (3835)

And More!
post #18 of 20 Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Thanks Matt for the response.I am not really concerned with it really.I am going to delete the front and add my 255 inline w/ a hobbs switch when the truck goes into boost.That combo will support what I need on a 5lb. spring.I am going to do a sumped tank over the winter.I only posted because I wanted to tell others it may happen and to tell others that the pump works great.Kind of a catch 22 situation.It's just weird it didn't happen for 3-4 days.Then the needle would drop like a rock.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-18-2012, 04:40 PM

Customer I sent out pumps with filtered windows called back in and said it worked great. His combo is AFRs with an S trim. No track time yet but he said he buried the speedo at 120++ and showed no loss in fuel pressure.

M-F 9am-6pm PST
1-818-574-FUEL (3835)

And More!
post #20 of 20 Old 03-28-2014, 03:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Lots of good info here. I just got one of the lightning KB kits that I'm going to try to adapt to the 302 in my F150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement