should i buy lightning motor or standerd f150 motor? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-02-2011, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
should i buy lightning motor or standerd f150 motor?

swaping in a 351 into my mustang. i have an offer of a lightning long block with gt40 heads for $525 but i can get a standered 351 out of the local pull a part with all assories for $500 gaureteed with warenty. i allready have a set of GT40 3 bar heads and upper and lower explorer intake (ya i need to find a lightning lower regardless) is their any difference between the 2? like rods crank or pistons that would make one better then the other? just trying to save money where i can.

thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Only difference is the cam, as long as both are F4TE blocks (roller ready) crank rods pistons all the same.

95 Mustang 351 MM PHB/TA MM2 rear shocks and coilovers
17x10.5 sqaure
post #3 of 9 Old 01-02-2011, 12:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
But with the lightning longblock you'll be getting a set of GT40 heads for $25.00. The accessories from the truck might be worth the price of a set of GT40 iron heads if you have a market for them. Probably not though.

The warranty? It might be worth it too. The F150 could be a roller camshaft, with lifters, dogbone, etc. The cam could have a small value depending on your market. Lifters you could possibly reuse.

I'd probably weigh the value of the heads versus the warranty. What kind of shape is the lightning motor in? I assume it doesn't have the intake too? If it has even the lower I would say this makes it a no brainer.

good luck
tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-02-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS 95Cobra View Post
But with the lightning longblock you'll be getting a set of GT40 heads for $25.00. The accessories from the truck might be worth the price of a set of GT40 iron heads if you have a market for them. Probably not though.

The warranty? It might be worth it too. The F150 could be a roller camshaft, with lifters, dogbone, etc. The cam could have a small value depending on your market. Lifters you could possibly reuse.

I'd probably weigh the value of the heads versus the warranty. What kind of shape is the lightning motor in? I assume it doesn't have the intake too? If it has even the lower I would say this makes it a no brainer.

good luck
tim
thanks for the reply. as far as heads i allready have the GT40 (non-p) heads with external EGR so all i would be using is the short block regardless. the pill a part i got to gaurentess the motor and will give me credit twords a diff one if it is in bad shape. pluss they pull it from the truck it comes out of so i will be able to see milage( as long as no one has takes the gage cluster out) i reall just wanted to know if their was something better between the two (forged VS Hyper pistons) or something like that. but if their all the same ill go to the pull a part and at least have a warenty on it.

the lightning motor dosnt have a lower. and i finally uderstand what you ment by saying getting lightning heads for $25... i could resell the other set to make my money back.

i asked the guy with the lightning motor to send pics of the bearing in the rods and mains so i could see the condition. so ill have to check and see if he replyed yet.

Last edited by stangbanger88; 01-02-2011 at 04:48 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangbanger88 View Post
and i finally uderstand what you ment by saying getting lightning heads for $25... i could resell the other set to make my money back.
Yes, that is what I meant. The truck accessories would have some value, but probably a smaller market. I also doubt you'd get what you would out of a set of GT40 heads.

I bought an entire truck for my engine/transmission swap for my F150. I paid $450 for the entire wrecked '96 truck with a 351/E4OD. I was gonna swap both in without a rebuild. I found an oil change sticker with 185000 on it and decided it would be best to rebuild both. The remaining truck should leave me a decent amount of money for 4X4 part out. But a set of GT40s would have certainly made it better.

When the shortblock was disassembled several rings had turned so the gaps were over each other and carbon had frozen several of the others. Based on the outward appearance and clean looking oil on the dipstick I would have bet the motor was in fine shape. Just something to consider too. The bearings (rod, main both---I didn't see the cam) looked great. The crank was just polished and the rods didn't have to be resized. Cylinder walls looked good too. Never would have guessed the rings were like they were. The stuck ones might have freed themselves after some driving but the other two cylinders definitely would have had blow by. (I have put a set of GT40X heads on, with a lightning intake, etc. Just haven't gotten the engines swapped yet.)

tim
post #6 of 9 Old 01-02-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

besides the money factor. their the same exact short block?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
some of the f150 motors had lower compression the dish in the piston is deeper depending on the year. also I have 2.02 valves in mine. my cam is just under .500 lift.hyd flat tappet. I clay checked a .540 lift cam and did not have the clearance to run that.

Last edited by barrylee66; 01-07-2011 at 10:51 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
lightning motor $525 > junkyard motor $500

You'll spend more than $25 putting gaskets and such adding gt40 heads to the junkyard motor. Also I'm sure your warranty will be pissed away if you change the cylinder heads.

2012 GB A6 GT
post #9 of 9 Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I'd get the lightning motor just for the cam that already installed. Less assembly. Just intake and go...

Time/gaskets/etc costs more than a warranty that will be void when you swap a cam anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement