Ford Mustang Forums banner

Side exhaust w/subframes

8K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  mlanoux 
#1 ·
Anyone have any tips/pictures on how to do a 'raw' type of side exhaust like the 00' R has. I DO NOT want the SVO side skirts. My only problem is I have MM Full length subframes. Just wondering if there would be any major modifications to make it fit?

Thanks.

#17 ·
On the right track here. I also went with the Spintech subs. They are a step design and give you added space for the side exit. I'd rather run the NASCAR open pipes, but some of the tracks I go to have noise limits so I stayed with the Spintech stuff.

#7 ·
I just finished installing a NASCAR side exit system on my race car. It's a 92 LX and I bought the exhaust from a NASCAR shop on ebay ($90). I had to reduce it's width by 7" and the exit is 22" wide by just under 2" tall. It fits good especially under the subframe connectors. This however would only work for a track car, it's rediculously loud and obviously has no cats.

#9 · (Edited)
If I was wanting a "raw" side-exit exhaust with subframe connectors on a lowered roadrace SN-95 chassis (assuming this is what you have since you mentioned SVO sideskirts), I'd use oval tubing as mentioned combined with subframes that run through the floor. However I'd definitely use oval tubing from as far forward as possible if I intended to drive the car on the street at all, as the floorpans alone sit pretty low on lowered late-models.

FWIW, here is a pic of my '65 setup. Notice I was able to use 3" round tubing, but the floor on my lowered '65 sits significantly higher than an SN-95 with a typical lowered stance. Regardless, the chassis layouts are similar enough so the subframe connector design could be fairly similar. Options to align the connectors to the offset subframes include making bends in the connectors themselves, or tie them in through a middle section of boxed steel, as I did on the rear framerails.

#12 · (Edited)
Like that...

Oval Tubing (i.e. expensive!)

The car has IRS and frame connectors. Good drop on diff temperature too.:cool:

I had a picture of the finished project but can't find it. I bought a set of ball flanges and picked up where the X-pipe ends. This way I can easily bolt/un-bolt for the track/street.

I did it mainly for weight save and found out that the heavy wall Dr. Gas pipes are, well... heavy.

#18 ·

Oval Tubing (i.e. expensive!)

The car has IRS and frame connectors. Good drop on diff temperature too.:cool:

I had a picture of the finished project but can't find it. I bought a set of ball flanges and picked up where the X-pipe ends. This way I can easily bolt/un-bolt for the track/street.

I did it mainly for weight save and found out that the heavy wall Dr. Gas pipes are, well... heavy.

does it make a difference having the mufflers before the x pipe. I am about to do my exhaust and I want to do it exactly like yours

#21 · (Edited)
The mufflers before the X-pipe are Dynomax race bullets. Just there to take the "edge off". At the track I still have to wear ear plugs inside my helmet or else I get a headache. At 7000rpm it's LOUD! On the street I still run the regular Magnaflow cat-back with mufflers and leave the x-pipe/bullets in place. At the time my motor was factory stock.

With the new motor (full race LS2) I expect the noise to go up again. I'm re-doing the exhaust for the new motor and this time I will use V-band clamps for ease of assembly/dis-assembly although my car sees very little street use. Plus I'm upgrading to full 3" pipes/oval.

#16 ·
amorrow02

Holy shi'ite great looking 70, and 65GT350. :drool: I like the Marshall full stack too, although I am more partial to strats:D Back to regularly scheduled programming.

#22 ·
Haha, thanks for the '65 and amp comments, but most of the '70 pics are of other cars I have in there for reference. The rotisserie pics are still pretty much how it looks, as I'm really just starting on that project. But hopefully it's not too long before it gets its schoolbus yellow paint!

#20 · (Edited)
You can also modify C5 corvette mufflers and use twin 2" muffler out each side. Cutting off the inlet and adding a straight piece. There is a thread about this on corral. If your lucky find a Z06 owner selling a set of factory titanium mufflers

#23 ·
I remember seeing someone who had brought the pipes up through the floor into the rear seat section and out through the body panel in front of the rear tires. I believe it was an AIX Fox body. Maybe someone has a better memory than me and knows who this is. It was a pretty clean setup and solved the clearance issue nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.