Ford Mustang Forums banner

New To Turbos... How often do you guy drive your cars?

2K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  93gtman 
#1 ·
How often do you guy drive you turbo cars? I am just about to put my kit on, and was wondering about this.

#2 ·
Just put on3performance kit on my 02 mustang gt and yes it's my DD. Boost at 8.22 psi and drive it with boost all the time.:joy:

#10 ·
Drive mine everyday from April to November even in the rain.

#17 ·
Until last year I daily drove it 5 days a week during the spring/summer/fall…70 miles round trip. With elevated fuel costs, I cut that in half last year. While I still got 24+mpg, my daily driver gets 34+mpg…and with fuel at the time hovering above $4.00/gal, it was just not economical.

This year I have switched tires out back to some 15” MT street radials on weld draglites. While I sill drive a day or two a week…I just don’t feel like burning through tires driving the 70miles roundtrip on a daily basis. She’s slowing becoming a weekend warrior…which quite honestly is fine by me.

#19 ·
i think if fuel got too crazy we can always pick up some SVO or turbocoupe blocks and an SVO head and get a B&g SVO turbo header and be good to go...lol i have thought about it if gas starts to go crazy again

#18 ·
I have put about 1,200 miles on my car in the past year. I usually drive it to work on Saturday when I work a 1/2 day. They can be daily driven, but make sure you stay on top of the common maintenance things.

On the way to work I have...
- lost a coolant line (to heater core)
- water pump exploded (stop stripped out a bolt when they installed it)
- torched a clutch cable (re-routed now)

I guess I am a little paranoid to be standing on the side of the road wearing a suit and tie so drive my truck. haha.

#22 ·
We drive ours every weekend just cruising and to a few shows we put around 200 miles on it last weekend. could drive it everyday but don't and the ET Streets are a bit of a ride on the wet roads will be switching to there radial soon.

#23 ·
i cant even tell my MPG because i have 3.73's and the speedo gear is for 3.55's so i can never get a accurate reading. i may have to throw in those 3.27's in the future. but at that point i would like to upgrade my diff or just put in a new trac-loc.

#24 ·
Megatune can give you an instant read-out of your fuel consumption in MPG by inputting your gear ratios (both tranny and rear end) and tire diameter. The only downside is if you switch gears, it throws the calcs WAY off.

#28 ·
i will have to look into this
does it need a VSS sensor to do this?
No...although if you had one, it would allow you to calculate on the fly in any gear. Otherwise, you are limited to the gear inputs you plan on using. If you want to calculate 5th gear MPG on the freeway you'll need to enter the tranny's 5th gear ratio, rear end ratio and tire diameter. Megasquirt already knows the RPM and fuel consumption, so it calculates it accordingly. It also has a horsepower calculator that “can” be fairly accurate. Again, it needs the gear ratios, tire diameter and a fairly flat stretch of ground.

#26 ·
2-3 times a week. It sucks gas when I get on it, which is all the time.

#32 ·
I don't have it in front of me, but I believe it is in the calculated fields menu. You'll then have to re-start megatune and then swap out one of the gauges....at-least I believe that's how it works. Let me know.

#30 ·
its the stock t-5 so i have to fine out the 5th gear ratio, the wheels are 03 cobra 17'' x 9 with 245 45 17,s on them and 3.73 gears so all i need to find out is the stock 5 th gear ratio and where to input it to get a round about idea.

#34 ·
Correct…and those are 26” wheels FYI.

As for the sensor, that is the one. To be able to use it requires a small add-on in the prototype are of the ECU. Once you have it however, not only can you use it for fuel economy and horsepower calcs….but you can incorporate a traction control based off of the vss sensor input.

#35 ·
Sounds like I'm going to have to get MS sooner than I planned. Sounds like it's got lots of cool stuff to play with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.