Ford Mustang Forums banner

MAF help!

968 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  jasonlx 
#1 ·
hey guy's, i'm lookin for some help with tuning my car. its a 93 lx with windsor jr's, track heat intake, custom cam, all supporting mod's and a hellion turbo kit (62-1).

i bought an abaco 85mm maf and am trying to tune the car myself. i tuned it for the 42# injectors i have and went for a drive, my wide band is pegged lean at idle but the car will water your eye's it smells so rich and while crusing its back firing through the intake the odd time or when i try to open the throttle much more then 1/4.:confused:

what i dont understand is while it smell's really rich at idle the wide band is dead lean. mabey its so rich its just dumping raw air and fuel out the exhaust? and also why would it be running lean at cruse if ts so rich at idle?:hammer:

just lookin for some helpfull idea's guys, also if someone could post up a common maf transfer curve for 42#'s that would be a huge help. thanks for any reply's :cool:

#3 ·
lean will burn up your eyes and smell worse then rich does. I would trust the wide band over the nose any day if you are unsure maybe test it on another car or maybe find another one to try

#4 ·
thanks for the reply's

lean will burn up your eyes and smell worse then rich does. I would trust the wide band over the nose any day if you are unsure maybe test it on another car or maybe find another one to try
now this i didn't know, i recalibrated the wideband to be sure it was accurate and it still did the same thing. now that i know this i just may have it solved :hammer:

#6 ·
so far i've gotten the car to work a little better, not as much fumes and eye burning lol. i have an innovate lc-1 wide band and no matter what i do at idle its pegged lean (22.4) has anyone ever had a problem like this? as soon as i touch the throttle its acts fairly normal. the cam shaft in the car is pretty lumpy sounding too, would this cause it to read really lean at only idle? it will sit there and idle all day long not a problem except that the wide band show's so lean. no matter what i do i cant get it to richen up the idle but everywhere else seems ok or close too it. thanks for the help so far guys, hopefully i can figure this out before i burn it :livid:

#7 ·
what are you tuning with ? can you open the injector dwell at idle? they use to have mass air transfers on Pro-ms site I don't know if they do now or not. I think all I have is big injector stuff. I will look for you today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.