Ford Mustang Forums banner

2-step stick guys here? have questions

3K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  04Ryan 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've never had a 2-step but think I understand how it works and I think it would help my high-power stick car.

Does anyone here use one with a stick car?
Can XFI have any 2-step control?

I think I'd like to arm the system by switch (does it have to be a momentary?) and have it disengage when I release the clutch.
Does that sound right?
Any advice appreciated.
-J

#2 ·
I dont know about the XFI but I have the Mallory Hy-fire 6 with a built in 2 step. I have mine set up on a momentary button that also controls the line lock. The 2 step has a toggle so I can still use the button when doing my burnout and then switch it on to hold me at the line. I also have the corded buttons going into a 12volt acc. outlet so when Im not racing the button stays in the glove box. I did that more for the safety issue......My wife is a blonde.....enough said!!! lol

#5 ·
I ran a MSD digital 6plus and could build full boost (10psi) at the line. I had to pull a few degrees of timing to get the full 10psi with it set at 3500rpm

I run a momentary switch and the clutch switch to a relay.. push clutch in,push momentary and 2 step is on... turns off once you release the clutch and dont come back on until both the clutch and momentary are pushed in together again.

its nice to have NO buttons to mess with, tried cruise control, windshield washer button and horn. this is much nicer and it dont put the car on the 2step between shifts like running it off JUST the clutch switch.

#6 ·
Excellent sounds like what I want.
Just to clarify, you hit the momentary switch, push clutch in, let off momentary switch and then hit throttle to get on 2-step then the 2-step releases when you release the clutch?
-J

#8 ·
I've got mine on a momentary switch that is on my shifter ball. I used to use it for nitrous, but now its a 2step. I would like to run the switch in series w/ a clutch switch. I keep forgetting to let go of the 2step after I launch the car and then the thing falls on its face about 20ft out(hitting the limiter).

#9 · (Edited)
Got mine going FINALLY! I only can build maybe 4lbs at 3000 rpms. Dont work to well on the street! LOL

Momentary push button using a relay and clutch switch is the only way to go. You push the pedal down, tap the momentary switch, floor it, then take off!

#15 ·
Yes and that is how I have mine set-up. Both the 2-step and launch setting of the AMS 500 releases when the clutch come out.
I also have a line-lock but have no need to wire it with the 2-step on a manual.
-J

#22 ·
Subscr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.