Ford Mustang Forums banner

broken springs - what direction should I go?

690 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  qtrracer 
#1 ·
Hi all,

So I'm in the middle of a 5 lug / big brake swap right now... and I just noticed that BOTH front springs where / are broken. About 1 coil exactly on each side. Both springs are the same height now.

I'm not 17 any more, so my common sense says, buy new springs instead of trying to get away with it. What do you guys think? I always hear of people lowering their cars by this, but that'd mean I'd have to do something out rear?

If I'm going the replacement route, should I stick with stockers, or upgrade to the 'next level' while I have it all apart.

This car is a weekend car, and does autocross (eventually it will do it again).

What do you guys think?

Charlie

#2 ·
I'm far from an expert... but...

What condition are your struts/shocks in? Typically if you're going to lower your car, you need to replace these too. (Guess a certain amount of lowering would be acceptable... others would know better) I like H&R stuff and had their Super Sport springs on my old '88 along with Bilstein dampers.

Might cost more than you were planning on spending... but so long as you have everything apart you might as well figure out an nice "drop in replacement" upgrade while you're at it. Or go gonzo with coil overs and god knows what else! ;)

#3 ·
The shocks are and struts are BEAT. I was hoping to get away with them for a bit longer, but if I buy new springs that need new struts, so be it.

I'm thinking I should bump up the performance since I'm already spending the money, but not really sure what to get and what is needed for it.

Also to note, I'll be running 17x9 up front, so anything I should replace, needs to be compatible with that situation.

#4 ·
If it were my car, I'd give the springs a thorough flotation test (throw 'em in the nearest pond -- if they float, they're good to go!)

The springs broke for a reason and we don't knsow what the reason is. Who's to say they won't break again? It's entirely possible tha tthey're from a bad batch (perhaps the steel supplier screwed up the alloy -- it happens occasionally.)

You can either put in OEM replacement springs, which you can get cheap off any of the Mustang forums of eBay, or you can go with lowering springs (or coilovers.) If you go with OEM replacements, you can keep your OEM dampers, but since they're worn out any way, this is a great oportunity to go with a set of lowering springs and a damper that is known to work well with lowering springs. It's what I'd do.

#5 ·
Hi Charlie,
If your going to Auto-X this Car, your going to really need to upgrade your Springs and Shock/Struts.

When I rebuilt my 84's Front End last Spring, I found that My Springs were also Broken. I replaced them with Ford Racing 5300c Spring Kit. I used Koni struts and Shocks, but you should at least use Bilstien or maybe Tokico's.
You may also want to Run Castor/Camber plates, as you want a least 1-2 Degrees of Camber and as much Castor as you can get.

I Auto-X my Car, and Last Saturday was my 1st Event of the Year. It did really well with that set up and my P245-45-17 Falken Azenis 615's . I had the Instructors Drive my Car ( They Drive BMW M's) and they were amazed with my Car. They were 3 sec's faster in my Car than me !

Go luck with your Set-up,

Scott

#7 · (Edited)
Lots of springs for sale on this site, both stock (as in Bullets and Mach 1s as well as fox versions ) as well as FRPP Bs and Cs and after market like the H&Rs, Ebach, Steeda and the like. I've also seen some deals on some nice used struts/shocks too. You can buy new but you can get great deals on virtually new stuff from your fellow stangers. The key to ride quality (assuming conventional spring/damper) is matching the spring rate with the damper's capability. I'd find another set of springs/dampers to go with that brake upgrade since you have it all apart now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.