Ford Mustang Forums banner

SLA talk

4K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  Matt@HFP 
#1 ·
Could you use the griggs "sla" tower set with say a mm k member and lower a arms?

#6 ·
This would not work because of the added anti-dive that griggs has worked in to the k-member when compared to maximum motorsports, or a stock k-member. I have read that mm claims "ford got it right" in terms of anti dive. I believe the placement of the lower control arms-- their angle to the ground is where this is achieved.

#8 ·
Most likely. It would work, as in drive around, but it probably wouldn't perform well.

Suspension design is a series of small adjustments and decisions towards compromise to obtain your "goal". Moving a pickup point 1/8" can change the entire design.

Mixing two could be ugly...:(

DaveW

#9 ·
After looking at the pics in this post, http://forums.corral.net/forums/showpost.php?p=8630703&postcount=4 , it appears the Griggs upper arm is pretty standard aftermarket. Factory Five has lower arms with shock mounts and spindle adapters to accept an upper ball joint.

Assuming someone could work out the geometry, it seems it would be feasible to create an upper shock/a-arm mount similar to Griggs, but that would use geometry acceptable to keeping the stock k-member. I think the Barts Works SLA was designed to use the stock k-member, but it had fabricated spindles.

#12 ·
Well, if it were designed to work with factory geometry, it would work with any other tubular k that mimics the factory geometry. An SLA designed to work with a MM k would probably only work really well with the MM k.

#36 · (Edited)
what exactly is your "budget" idea.

That is basically why I made this thread is to get ideas and figure out other ways to have sla and not spend $5k

I have not found any mm a arm or k failure threads or even gms k member fail threads.. Not saying griggs sucks but I did break my griggs phb. For what I do with my car I dont think griggs is for me. Didn't luke87gt crack his griggs K member as well?

I don't have the driver mod to "need" SLA to make me faster.. BUT it sounds like a fun project and it will improve my car.

Jack any word on MM SLA? I read rumors of it in some old cc threads is rumors all it is?

#37 ·
what exactly is your "budget" idea.
After looking at the pics in this post, http://forums.corral.net/forums/showpost.php?p=8630703&postcount=4 , it appears the Griggs upper arm is pretty standard aftermarket. Factory Five has lower arms with shock mounts and spindle adapters to accept an upper ball joint.

Assuming someone could work out the geometry, it seems it would be feasible to create an upper shock/a-arm mount similar to Griggs, but that would use geometry acceptable to keeping the stock k-member. I think the Barts Works SLA was designed to use the stock k-member, but it had fabricated spindles.
Either source FF lowers with shock mounts and spindle adapters, or weld some shock mounts on some existing tubular arms (with adequate reinforcing). Source the adjustable upper arms from a catalog, and fabricate an upper mount similar to the Griggs tower to mount the shocks and upper a-arms.

But I'd be afraid the uppers would be so short as to have no or minimal benefit over a strut setup. Maybe using sn95 length lowers would help a bit... I'm just thinking out loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.