Ford Mustang Forums banner

How much to trim an LX bumper to fit intercooler

8K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  92rohcp 
#1 ·
I have a 3 1/2" thick precision intercooler and need to find out how much I need to trim the bumper. If you have pictures that would be great.

#2 · (Edited)
Depends if you run a/c or not. I've seen some pretty hacked up lower covers, some with the bottom part of the cooler hanging out...i didn't want any part of that! Since i don't run a/c, i mounted the intercooler as far back as possible, and high enough not to have to cut the lower bumper cover structural supports(thin pieces, about 4 or so total). Only trimming i did was the fiberglass headlight panel, and about an inch or so on the lower outer holes of the bumper cover...didn't really need to do this, but made a little more room for the piping inlet/outlet.

I run the cooler that comes with the B&G kit standard, ol' big and thick heavy bastard,lol.

*edit, i'm also running 302man's front tubular bumper.

#9 ·
I am using a pony down hotside and DIY coldside.

Scotng,
I actually have your car bookmarked and all you picutes saved on my computer, I was going to do complete DIY setup and actually bought used bbk headers. Your car is perfect for a DIY kit +1

#11 ·
Mine wouldnt fit they way I wanted because of the condenser so i yanked the a/c out.

It was keeping the a/c condensor that made me have to trim bumper (its hot down here)
Keeping a/c makes you have to push intercooler mounting point forward
about 2" This pushed it out enough to require the cutting.

Most LX's you see that have fit it in there do not have the condenser in place.
Personally you hardly notice my trimming cause its tucked up under the bumper
like it is.

I also painted the cold side pipe flat black, so it just kinda fades into looking like a shadow at the casual glance.

#12 ·
Mine still has a/c and I hacked the hell out of it! I think I could have mounted it a little higher which would have helped. My car's no show car, so it didn't hurt TOOO badly.....

#14 ·
I just got my 31x12x3 intercooler mounted in yesterday, I'm fabing up an intercooler to a Kenne Bell on a fox body mustang here is a link to my project. Mine starts on page 4 post #123 http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=648301&page=4

Here are some pics of my intercooler installed had to trim the front cover mouth ends only as I took out A/C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.