Ford Mustang Forums banner

performance quick spool valve.... bs or does it work?

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  billyNOTnice 
#1 ·
http://www.spracingonline.com/store/Sound_Performance_Quick_Spool_Valve/3643

Saw this and thought, dahm, that is either an awesome idea or the next 'tornado' intake scam.

If it worked you could have the best of both worlds, get a big honkin' turbo and still get boost right off idle. Now their claims of boosting horsepower couldn't be peak hp but i could see it under the curve.

What do you guys think?

#2 ·
Might be a dumb question but I don't get how it makes it spool it quicker.....wouldn't you want MORE exhaust flow to get the turbo spinning and not half the flow?

#3 ·
hmmmmm i dont like it, i dont think it works, like 357 said you want more exhaust flow to the turbo to spin it....the way i see this work IF it even works is kind of like when you have the a/c on in your car and you close the passenger vents then all off a sudden the drivers vent gets more and faster air flow, so im guessing thats the idea of this valve it closes off half the exhaust to add pressure to the other half to make it flow more quickly there for spooling the turbo faster in the process....i sitll dont like it though

#4 ·
Blocking one of the sides on a divided turbine housing halves the a/r so it would make sense that spool time would decrease. I have one from performance metal works that I'm installing on a 4.6L 4v with a borg warner s475 1.10a/r t4. My main concern is back pressure in the up-pipe when the valve is shut so I plan on measuring this when I tune.I should have results to post in a couple months.

#6 ·
it will work on a divided housing only. you're cutting your ar in half. ex- a 1.5ar will become a .75 ar.
great idea, but the price is out there. someone on ebay was selling a cheaper version awhile back.

#8 ·
As stated above it does work by shrinking the A/R. Drawbacks are also stated, cost and having to use divided housing. They are being used on rear mount turbo's (look on the ls1 boards) to help spool time substantially. I think it is a good hot rod attempt at variable vane technology for the masses. Wont take long for board members to take a look at the pictures and fab one up at a much lower price (not to imply that i would even think about infringing on a patent!).

#10 · (Edited)
It would work it's like a Yamaha exup valve it creates back pressure or TQ. Making the turbo exhaust port smaller to make more low-end velocity thus making the turbo spool faster. SP engineering has been around for years and make huge HP turbo cars and from what it seem improved apon the tested version by make there wg flapper adj.

But biggest thing I like to point out is the bigger usable Powerband, I would also like to see real results at the track with anti-lag/two step.

#12 ·
It does and will work. It's nothing new as Job Spetter's father sent a prototype to Turbonetics ages ago... The valve from SP is a nice piece and is machined out of quality materials.

I don't know why anyone on this forum would be looking to get better spool as it seams like 80% or better are stock blocked platforms and with the correct sized turbo it should come up just fine. One the small displacement platforms like the Supra/evo/sti... It's a real nice upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.