Ford Mustang Forums banner

Which nitrous kit considering my current setup??

• Nitrous Works 50-175 HP kit

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • NOS Stage II 150 HP kit

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Nitrous Express kit

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • ZEX 55-75 HP kit

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.0%

Nitrous Works or Nitrous Express???? or ZEX even???

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  92GreenMonster 
#1 ·
I know I keep asking about nitrous kits, but my last post only told me not to buy any NOS kits. I want between 100 and 150 HP (check sig for my present combo) and have been told very little about all of the other kit options. I'm looking in Summit right now and see the Nitrous Works kit for $513, and they have the ZEX kit for $509.95. No Nitrous Express kits in the magazine. The Nitrous Works kit says it can spray between 100-175 HP, while the ZEX kit only claims 55-75?? Is the Nitrous Works kit safe for a non built up stock 95k mile short block?? Is it the best of the 3 kits i listed in the subject heading?? i do NOT want to f*** up my motor, can i bolt on this nitrous works kit with no problems if i only spray 100 and 125 shots?? is the adjustability good with the kit?? what other accessories should i buy if i was to buy this kit? (heater, purge kit, gauge, fuel pumps) thanks for reading and helping!!

#2 ·
I don't know why people would say don't buy from NOS. I voted for the NOS because they are the safest kits I know of for a shot (<200) shot. Systems that use a plate between the upper and lower are good, as are REAL fogger systems. I don't trust any kit that sends fuel through the plenum. I know they work fine most of the time, but there have been backfires from this, I have seen several. You also are destined to have rich and lean cylinders, most likely you'll never even know it until you pop a head gasket or worse. I'll get flamed for this I know, ok well I should probably throw in more if that's the case: I don't like AFR heads, I'm a Chevy guy at heart, and I think Ed Curtis might be a homosexual.
Billy

#3 ·
I run the NX kit, I love it! Makes great power and propelled me from 13.20s to 11.80s.

Heater, purge and blowdown tube are a must IMHO.

#4 ·
i voted NX kit because i really like how they perform.. but the NOS kits are excellent as well.. even the dry kit should preform well

thats the only 2 i've had experience with.

#5 ·
I have only HEARD that the Nitrous Works install is hell. I myself went with a dry compucar nitrous in a bag. its a super simple setup, one line and the bottle in a bag you can loosen a fitting and then you can hide the line. and it was only $375 shipped. But the biggest shot is around a 125, only thing is they dont give actual hp numbers, just jet sizes. I havent used any other companies before.

my $.02

#6 ·
Is it not a better deal to buy the NOS stage I over the stage II and then just buy some bigger jets? Whats the diff. in the kits.

#9 ·
i traded a set of drag struts i had for the zex kit, and the guy even helped me install it. all i know is that it works. 50 shot gave me 43hp at the wheels. 75 shot took me from a na 12.3@103 to a 12.6@110. 100 shot ran a 12.3@112 on a totally differnt night, one which was very humid and yucky out.

i say go withNOS or NX if you're going new, but i love my zex kit and it does what i need it to do. some may flame me, but the numbers do not lie...

#10 ·
WillGT,

Why's the nitrous works kit hard to install? I've used both the NX and Nitrous Works kit and the Nitrous Works was a lot easier, or quicker to get put in and running. It has a plate that sandwiches between the EGR and intake so you don't drill or tap anything. Also the solenoids mount to the plate so you don't need to find any locations to mount them. All kits basically wire about the same so not much changes from there. It was a good kit but I voted NX cause I've run faster with it on all HP levels. Tried em all.

#11 ·
but if i was to buy the nitrous works or nitrous express kit, where would be the best place to buy them from?? are the different jets simple to swap in and out?? and will a wet kit be safer for stock injectors?? and what accessories do you nitrous users suggest--fuel pump, bottle heater, gauge, remote bottle opener, purge valve?? let me know, thanks a ton!!

#12 ·
hey,i have a 94vert,the motor is pretty much stockwith some bolt ons and tranny work with converter and 4;10 gears.my preveiousbest time with crappy bfg drag radials was a 14.58.i just installed a zex 125 shot which was very easy to install with new nitto drags i went a 13.21 with a 1.70 60ft.leaving on the spray.i think there is a 12 in it when i get more exp driving with the spray.i am very pleased with the results.

#13 ·
Well so far it looks like I'm the only one here running the Nitrous Works kit. I didn't really shop around for my setup, I needed N20 in less than a week and it was the only setup I could get my hands on in that amount of time. My kit was the plate system for a 87-93 5.0 HO, I installed it on a 94 GT. Now that was a trick. I wanted my N20 to be hidden from the beginning, so when I found out that tyhe plate wasn'g going to work I was actually happey. I ended up getting a Nitrous Express Fogger nozzle and running it into the elbowe right before the TB. This setup worked great for me, and it is hidden good enough that the track officials don't even know I have it, (that wan't the reason for hiding it)

#14 ·
ULLOSE,

HAHA, Sacramento have tech at the track, LOL. I've raced there for 2 years and am yet to pop my hood for tech.

#15 ·
ACames said:
WillGT,

Why's the nitrous works kit hard to install? I've used both the NX and Nitrous Works kit and the Nitrous Works was a lot easier, or quicker to get put in and running. It has a plate that sandwiches between the EGR and intake so you don't drill or tap anything. Also the solenoids mount to the plate so you don't need to find any locations to mount them. All kits basically wire about the same so not much changes from there. It was a good kit but I voted NX cause I've run faster with it on all HP levels. Tried em all.

Like i said, ive enver dealt with any kit but the Compucar. Was just saying i read the the installation on the Nitrous Works wasnt all that easy, dont know why but its just what i had heard.

#16 ·
I'm not going to tell you one kit is better then the rest. I'll tell you what I have and what it did for me.
I have the NOS Big Shot plate system for the stock intake. Goes between the upper and lower. It's adjustable from 150 to 300+hp. I have a good rear suspension set up and ran M/T ET streets. Motor was totally stock with the exception of a C&L 76mm mass air meter. No headers and factory cats. Flowmaster cat back. 3.73 gears.
Best run without nitrous was a 13.79@97. With the 150 shot it was a 12.09@111 No bottle heater and 750psi coming from the bottle.
I chose this system because I don't like gas flowing through the upper intake since it wasn't made for it. Kit costs $680 through Summit. The only thing I regret is not getting it for an Edelbrock intake. Now I'm stuck with the stock one unless I want to spend another $500+ for a new plate.

#17 ·
So if im keeping the stock injectors, wet or dry kit?? that will decide for me, if dry, im going with the NOS Stage II kit, wet and im going to get the Nitrous Express kit, by the way, where is the cheapest place to buy each of these kits?? and again, what accessories, especially fuel upgrades will i need....

#18 ·
Well...

I have used both the nitrous works and NOS big shot kits.....all the kits listed are pretty decent...I personaly like wet plate type kits when spraying over about a 125 shot. With stock injectors I would run a wet kit...I don't like the idea of trusting stock 19lb inj. to supply all the extra fuel needed. Try Nitrous Warehouse ...I talked with them at the PRI show this last weekend...seemed to know their stuff real well.

#19 ·
Blk88GT said:
I run the NX kit, I love it! Makes great power and propelled me from 13.20s to 11.80s.

Heater, purge and blowdown tube are a must IMHO.
Sweet, listen which part number for the kit are you running? I have the NX catalog at the house and was considering possibly the dual stage single nozzel system. I'm unsure as I was originally wanting either a fogger or a platekit for my EFI mustang. I just haven't been a fan of putting the nozzel before the throttle body, but the options are limited..

plate kit would hit harder anyway..

let me know.

#20 ·
I've used two NOS kits between both of my Stangs and never had a problem. You shouldn't need an external fuel pump unless you have stock in tank pump. Even then, it's easier and cheaper to replace the in tank pump. I don't even run an external pump with my Big Shot. As far as wet kits go, I think the Big Shot is the simply b/c there's no nitrous/fuel going through the upper intake.

Pretty much any dry kit should be safe, but I only have experience with one.

My 150 shot took me from 13.3 @ 103 (2.0 60 ft) to 11.70 @ 115 - 116 (1.65 60 ft).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.