Ford Mustang Forums banner

what kind of ignition for turbo

2K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  igotaneed4speed 
#1 ·
347 with 70turbo, manual, just wandering what msd box to purchase to get a good time, the car has a 6a box, i was told i have to have a 2 step setup in order to have a good 60 footer, looking for some advice

#2 ·
MSD is suppose to be coming out with a new box with built in 2step in May. I'm not sure which route i'm going either, I wonder if there will be any bugs to work out. good thread.

#11 ·
I reached the limits of the Digital 6 box in my car. It came to a point where the car was misfiring at higher boost pressures. It just didn't produce enough energy to fire the cylinder. I switched over to a GM "coil on plug" setup. This is certainly not the easy fix. The thread is here where you can see how we mounted the coils down on the K-member - http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=992432&page=4

If you keep pushing for more and more HP, you will have to at least step up to the MSD Digital 7 box, but these aren't nearly as streetable according to MSD. While some drive them on the street, MSD doesn't recommend it at all because they produce so much energy that they burn up when constantly street driven.

qikazz

#15 ·
1000hp N/A or 1000 HP boosted??

I would THINK boost pressure plays a BIG factor in it. Either way it will outlast my stock block so Im all good lol lol

Originally Posted by gtconv91
i've heard retarding the timing builds more boost quicker with a two step

I LOVE mine. the 2step/timing retard is GREAT. I FINALLY got to use it at the track tonight. at 3500rpm I build basicly full boost (only 8 psi for me).

who says a 5 speed turbo car cant 60 foot. lol got a 1.63 60 on slicks FIRST time out but had to lift.. Slicks dont quite feel like DRs above like 60mph lol lol lol Gonna take me a bit to get them down, here I thought the launch was gooa be the hard part

#16 ·
I have wasted spark, ECU has 6 ignition ignition drivers...
What options do I have?? .. Dis-4 worth it ??.. 330 Dart block, 7.8 compression... At 15 Lb I'm blowing spark out with .020 plug gap...
What options do I have ??

#19 ·
Good for you because once you get infected with the bug that number just starts to rise uncontrollably:)

#20 ·
Warning: If you go to turbomustangs.com be prepared for at least three, condescending, know-it-alls (per thread) to come into your threads telling you to use the search button first...Have fun with that

This is so TRUE!

#21 ·
I searched and that's what I came up with !!!
Know it all's ??? If they don't know the answere is "search"....

#27 ·
I already have wasted spark, but only 6 ignition drivers in stand alone ECU so I guess I have to go with a FOUR channel ignition box ??
Such as MSD Dis-4 or some sort of ignition like M&W http://www.mwignitions.com/ ...I am runing out of spark.. Plug gap is down to .020 and I feed I could get better fuel economy with better, stronger spark..
I have heard bad things about AEM ignition blowing up....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.