Ford Mustang Forums banner

351w limits w/turbo

9K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  93Svt331 
#1 · (Edited)
I need some opinions based on other members personal experiences.... I just got my car running last week after working on it for a year building my own turbo kit and so on. My block is a 1977 351w that cleaned up at .30 and was bored to .35,its girdled,all 4340 internals.. Comp is 8.47:1... Im usin an S400 on my setup and making 662rwhp@ 11lbs boost on 93 octane...... My question is this..... How much more HP can I make before I run the risk of cracking the block? Car was tuned by Mike Murillo and he said 700 to 800 but Iv heard of 1100 on a windsor using a turbo... What are some of yall's experiences with this... Thanks again. Vince

#2 ·
From what I've heard you are already walking the line
of blowing a stock block.

If you think about it 800hp is damn good for stock casting.
1000hp really needs an aftermarket block if you want it to last.

I have friends making 800rwhp on stock 302 casting that everyone
says will blow up past 500rwhp and it hasn't split ........ YET

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks r.barn-I reckognize the name from TTF or somewhere...Well if youre from Houston,you know Garret.. Mr. Oddball? He claims he made 1100 on a stock 351w block 393 that lasted for 2 years befor givin up the ghost... Im just wondering what I can do with my setup on 18lbs boost and racefuel or AV gas. Dave at Majestic said the turbo should make 1000 at the flywheel with my setup but is that common or just a freak-YET thing? 1000 at the flywheel? Thanks again man.

#4 ·
On dyno is different street ..
The older 351 is much stronger than roller 5.0...
With good rotating assembly and balanced right...With good tune 800 h.p....I have seen few 351 Windsor go way above that on dyno comps though...

#9 ·
#10 ·
i'm curently building a 357w based on a 69 block. through the research i have done prior to going this route it seems that older blocks, up to 74, can handle 750rwhp and above that it's a ticking time bomb... obviously it's tune dependant.

the one thing to note is that 99% of people making that power were guys with blowers, and given that turbos aren't as hard on the motor, i think 750rwhp is very safe for the older blocks.

my plan is to start with 600-650 and go from there but you know how that goes ;)

paul k

#12 · (Edited)
Thats what I did and down here the Iron Eagle is $3700...
This was before the Dart Sportsman came out..
But I must say I would have saved some time with machining etc..
I see some 347 n/a builds that end up costing more than my whole motor and turbo conversion....Using rpm to make is not cheap either and the end rsult is the block won't take too much abuse.. Our cars are nearly all 4 door saloon and near 3800 Lb....The latter models have the 4 valve 5.4 motor.. We don't have the 4.6 mod motor.. There has been the base 3 valve motor for some time...http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1137385394472&pagename=Page&c=DFYPage
On subject... I have seen a well sorted 351W [Dyno queen] make alittle over 1200 h.p on dyno comp...Fairly sure it was factory block..

#13 ·
. My block is a 1977 351w that cleaned up at .30 and was bored to .35,its girdled,all 4340 internals.. Comp is 8.47:1... Im usin an S400 on my setup and making 662rwhp@ 11lbs boost on 93 octane......
What heads and intake are you running on that 351? What rpm did you make that 662hp?

#14 ·
Im running the AFR 205's with a 64 thousandths cometic head gasket-58cc chambers and srp -32cc dish pistons. 8.47:1 static compression. At 11lbs and around 6250 the setup made 662 but my torque was low around 628 or so... Rev limiter was set at 6500. Solid lifters. Im wondering what it will do with 15lbs and either AV gas or racefuel or maybe water/methanol injection on top of pump gas and the same amount of boost..

#15 · (Edited)
Raise the boost with what you have... 8.5 comp and those heads will take 15Lb easy with tune..
I'd say your dynamic compression is much lower? Cam maybe bleading off?? Why your torque is low or its spinning on dyno ???

#17 ·
Only reason I figured my torque was so low is because the convertor I had in this thing was RELLY loose. Mike Murillo was telling me that it didnt lock up till after 6100rpm and my limiter is set for 6500.... I have a PTC 4200 stall in the car now and it works great! But the reason for the low torque Im going to suspect is related to the loose converter I had originally.

#16 ·
.064 headgaskets are a bad idea.

Engine was not designed to work that way.
Messes with your quench area and flame propagation.

+1, you could easily run 15+psi on pump gas on a 8.5 compression engine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.