Ford Mustang Forums banner

Why is it cheaper to forge a motor before you blow it up?

837 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Pete361 
#1 ·
I keep hearing/seeing that it's cheaper to forge a motor the first time instead of after something bad happens. Why is this? You still have to replace all the internals, gaskets, and bolts, so how do you come out ahead? What would it cost if I were to build my block now vs building after I popped a piston or rod? Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I would assume if you grenade a piston and chunks of it start beating your heads to death their going to hit your wallet hard. Also if you throw a rod and it goes thru the block.. Well.. That wouldn't be cheap to replace either..

I still don't think you'll have an absolute guarantee you won't harm the motor even if it's forged. Lot of people just shoot for a very safe tune and run the stock bottom end. When it goes just pay to rebuild it at that time..

#4 ·
well, you could sell the short block and then get a SHM short block. At least your getting something for the engine. If its damaged then you can't sell it for very much if at all.

#5 ·
There is alot of labor involved when the machinist has to port and polish the heads. It is done by hand and is time consuming. That's all I can think of. :(

#6 ·
If you put a rod through the side of the block you'll have to buy a new block. Also if you end up buying a SHM block you'll have to give them back a good core or you'll pay a hefty fee..

Mike

#7 ·
Mainly...If you wait for failure, you could destroy the whole engine. Or if the stock oil pump gears go, all the bearings seize, need complete short block probably.
However, another reason is the value of time. I've noticed when people blow, they are usually down a long time (months), as it came unexpected and not planned for.

If you rebuild or buy an engine before you need it, you can operate on your schedule, and for sure have a core to trade back in if you buy an engine.

#8 ·
mchafin,

OMG :eek: YOu actually own 8 Cars???????????????

#9 ·
Fast Eddie 2k1 GT said:
well, you could sell the short block and then get a SHM short block. At least your getting something for the engine. If its damaged then you can't sell it for very much if at all.
I agree with this. Anyone have ideas on what I could sell a GT motor for? Just the short block or the complete motor?

#10 ·
Marc00GT said:
I keep hearing/seeing that it's cheaper to forge a motor the first time instead of after something bad happens. Why is this? You still have to replace all the internals, gaskets, and bolts, so how do you come out ahead? What would it cost if I were to build my block now vs building after I popped a piston or rod? Thanks in advance.
When mine blew, it wasn't "just a rod or piston"..... 99% of the cylinder wall was literally blown away ..........rendering the block totally useless.

I guess if you're looking at it in that type of way, the stock crank is still good although everything else is toast.

Hope that helps.

Tim

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.