Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Vortech S-Trim rebuild instructions inside
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 04-14-2006, 03:50 AM
Stang94GT

Trader Feedback: (1)
I'll edit the file and send it to Dedicated when I get a chance, probably in the next week or so. I've had about 4000 miles or so since the blower rebuild and so far no problems.

I used the "cone" to install the seal because it is spring loaded. Using only lube may cause the seal to bend or fold during installation. In fact, that's what I did when I put my blower back together the first time. After discovering that I had screwed the ID of the seal, I re-used the original seal with the installation sleeve.

If I recall correctly, the seals I used were identical (visually) to the seals that came out of the blower. Dedicated's seals may be better but I have no leakage issues to date. The leak I had was a misdiagnosed leak from my oil feed line.

I'm not in the bearing business so I don't know better. In what direction should the thrust bearings be situated? If anyone has some pics of these bearings and wouldn't mind emailing them to me I'll incorporate them into my writeup.

Curious, why would you use thrust bearings and then position them opposite of each other? I would think that you would experience thrust in only one direction and that the bearings would then be placed in the same direction. The only thrust loading that the high speed shaft sees is from the compressor wheel. On the low speed side, it would be from the belt. Does the low speed not use a thrust bearing as well?

The pics for the bearings are correctly labeled, text goes with the pics above them =P

If anyone's done a teardown of an SQ or of the 4.6l blower I'd appreciate some pics too. My email is [email protected].

Cam
94 GT

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome