Ford Mustang Forums banner

Engine sounds with MAC Pro-chamber

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  stylin99 
#1 ·
Hey,

I installed a MAC Pro-Chamber H this weekend and I've noticed some interesting sounds at low and mid RPM's. These are sounds that I didn't hear with the stock pipe. It's definitely not leaking anywhere, we checked that a couple times. The sound is almost a clanging-clicking sound, but only in low to mid rpm, almost like a ping, but I don't think the engine is actually pinging because I could not hear it before the install, and performance is fine. Is this possibly the valvetrain and valve chatter I'm hearing through the exhaust now that it's more opened up? I can tell you this, it makes my car sound like it's had major work done to it LOL. I just want to make sure something isn't about to die on my engine. Maybe someone with a similar setup has heard these sounds and can put my mind at ease?

Lon

#3 ·
gtrout, the ProChamber doesn't have cats.

It could just be engine noise coming through that was previously blocked by cats. I notice much of the same thing with my off road H Pipe. And at around 2000rpm, before it gets real loud, I hear a hissing I thought was a leak, but is actually just the air rushing through the pipes and crossover tube.

#6 ·
I installed my prochamber 30k miles ago and I have had the same sound ever since. I thought it was detonation at first but upon talking to others with the prochamber, it seems that the sound I was hearing was the gases merging in the chamber.

#7 ·
Mine did the same, I thought it was a leak, but when i took it to a muffler shop to have it tightened up, they found nothing, i came to find out it's just the air, and the cams workin through the non catted Pipe.

#8 ·
This is somewhat a relief to hear, because I was listening to it more on the way home just now, and it really does sound like pinging and it only really does it under load 2-4k, but I just thought it was too weird for a simple h-pipe swap to start pinging in the engine. My other thought was that reseting the computer by having the battery disconnected for an hour may have thrown something out of whack. Is there any 'break in' process for the computer to relearn things, and is it possible that it actually learned something wrong maybe? LOL. Any other pro-chamber users out there with any input? The more the merrier! :)

Lon

#9 ·
I hear it too...

Hey Lon I bought a Bassani Off Road X-Pipe and put it on my wifes 01 GT and it did the same thing. It kinda sounds like there is a leak, but there isn't any. I took mine to the shop 3 different times and no leak. They said that is the way it sounds with the O-X-Pipe So I bought a Flowmaster 3 chamber cat back and it got LOUDER! The wife was like nope change it back!:eek: So I Put the Stock Catted H-pipe back on and left the Cat back on it and she loves it now. I could have gone either way:p Now on my Cobra I have Headers and O-R-Bassani X pipe and Dynomax Ultra Flows and it sounds like Rusty Wallace comming around turn 4!:)

#10 ·
BOOSTED BABY!!!!! ;) Greetings Henry!

Don't worry about it, it's engine noise coming through your exhaust. The ProChamber is infamous for making odd noises, especially the pulsing exhaust merging into the chamber.

Relax, drive the car, enjoy life. :D

#11 ·
97GTConvt

Anytime you disconnect the battery for a significant amount of time the computer resets itself. It goes through a process to "relearn" the engines current parameters as you drive it after you reconnect the battery. Ford has a certain sequence they are supposed to take it through, such as driving it at a certain speed for a certain time/distance, etc to speed up the process, but it seems as if they never do it. It's no big deal and usually after a day or two of normal driving it will be back to normal. Hope this helped.

#12 ·
Yep same problem here. I checked and checked and checked when I first put it on, thinking I had a leak. It does sound a bit funny, especially when parked near a bldg (i.e. Mcdonalds drive thru). ;) But I've learned to put up with it.

You can get the soundclip in my signature below with Prochamber and FLowmasters if you're interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.