Ford Mustang Forums banner

what year mustang to get?

897 views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  02bluegt 
#1 ·
I am going to get a 95-98 mustang and was wondering what year is best to get. I prefer a 95 because it has the 5.0 but i have heard the EEC on 94-95 cars has problems. Is this easy to fix. are there any other benefits of the newer cars. Also what engines last longer and are more reliable.
thanks in advance

#2 ·
Before I bought my '96 Cobra (4.6 modular) I had an '87 GT 5.0L. I was trying to decide between a '98 GT and my now current '96 Cobra. Let me tell you this. My old 5.0 felt so much stronger than the '98 GT. Maybe it was because I had been driving a 5.0L which has considerably more low end torque then the 4.6 2V, but it still felt as if my 5.0 would smoke the '98 GT. Just my opinion, and I risk making some 4.6 2V owners mad.. But I'd go with the '95. 5.0L is a bad A$$ engine. Oh yeah and by the way.. my '87 GT 5.0L had 185,000 miles on it and still ran a 14.5 sec quarter mile! Goodluck..

#4 ·
As they should. The '96 - '98 4.6 2V engines were rated at 215 hp and the '01 is rated at 250 hp.

#5 · (Edited)
If your wanting to mod it get the 5.0. The 96-98's cost a ton to mod. Heads are like 1500 and an intake is about the same. So, youre looking at 3K just to run a little better than a 99 up 4.6. You can take the 3K with the 5.0 and be a lot better off. 5.0 heads- 1K; intake $500 and you still have 1500 to play with.
As far as dependability it depends on the condition of the engine to start with. Either is dependable as long as you do regular maintence on it. I havent heard about computer problems on the 94-95 though.

#6 ·
Well if it were me Ide go with the the 4.6. Im new so take that with a grain of salt. Seems as though the newer would would have the least amount of miles for choosing. I was told and have read that my motor makes 260 hp not 250. Dont burst my already(since ive owned it these 3 weeks) deflating bubble.

#7 ·
99+ GT's make 260hp. If I was in the market for a used stang I would go with a five speed 99+.
My first hot rod was a 67 Cougar with a modded out 289. My 02 GT gets better gas mileage, low emissions, and pulls like a mofo!!! Skip the push rod 5.0 and step up with some newer technology. That's my .02. Peace

#8 ·
My '98 GT ran at least as good as my old 88GT (5.0) stock. When I swapped the gears, the 98 is far faster.
So, if you want the better looking car, I'd recommend the 96-98 4.6L Mustang and if you want more performance, go for the 99 or newer.
If you want the best of both worlds, get a 96-98GT and then do the headswap.

#9 ·
95 5.0L more powerful, longer lasting, super easy to mod, Mod, MOD!:evil:

The 96-98 4.6L 'feel' far weaker than the 5.0, but the 99+ are bad a$$ motors! Having drivien both a 5.0 and the new 4.6. the low end was tight in the 5.0 but there is so much more in the new 4.6. all this is IMHO.

#10 ·
Save for a '99+. It's worth it. The performance difference is dramatic. The 96-98s will get spanked by a decent rice burner if you don't mod it. ouch! 4.6 is a tough motor. Cops use it, taxis use it, racers are running 8s in the 1/4 with stock block and heads. Try that with E7TEs!

Jeff

#13 · (Edited)
'98 2 valve gt's are rated at 225, not 215. the 96-98's are a great buy because they are still semi-new enough to be relaible and you can pick them up for a pretty reasonable price. Kind of like the old early 80's 5 liter cars, buy 'em cheap and slap the newer model heads on them and go. As far as which motor will last longest, I have personally have yet to put 200,000+ miles on a 4.6 so I can not say if it will hold up like a 5.0, but Ford said (when they slapped the 4.6's in the '96 mustang) they will last longer.
Honestly either way you can't go wrong.

#14 ·
I have a 97 GT. I put my blower on at 107K. I have 185K on it now and it runs like new. So it seems to me that the mod motors are pretty robust. The choice comes down to what you want to do. The 5.0 is easiest and cheapest to work on-and the power potential is awesome. The mod motors are really smooth. Nice power gain on a 96-98 by putting a blower on-pretty easy too. I prefer the 94-98 body. 99+ has the most powerful motor from the factory but will cost more. Of course a blower on a 99+ or 5.0 will make even nicer power gains! You might want to go to a used car place and test an example of each. See which one leaves a grin on your face the longest.

I helped out a friend of mine (from out of state) purchase a 94 GT. I test drove this car in here in MD for him. It was an auto with 90 something K on it. It ran like a new car and had surprising power. All this for like 6900 bucks. I have to say, I was like, hmmmm I wouldnt mind having this one also: Same looks as my car, 5.0 that could be modded swapped etc. etc. So check em all out and see what feels best.
Erich

#16 ·
stock, both of them are going to be slow. It's just the 5.0 responds better to mods than the 4.6 2v. now if you don't mind swapping the heads on the 4.6 2v I would say get it, I think the drivability of the 4.6 is a little better than the 5.0.

A 4.6 Cobra would be the best way to go.

#17 ·
the 5.0's are so cheap to fix and replace. the 4.6's are very expensive. how fast do you plan on modding? if speeds the issue id go this route
1- 1999-02
2- 1989-93
3- 1994-95
4- 1996-98

i personally dont like the 94-95 though. i had a 95 and it took so much more work to keep up with my buddys 91 gt. the eec problem you were talking about is a shift retard between shifts. ford did that to hopefully stop people from blowing their t5's.
good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.