Ford Mustang Forums banner

When is everyone's 1st event of the season?

2K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  kpl 
#1 ·
Our pretty much set in stone, yet still unofficial first event will be March 6th at a local(to me)auto auction site. A new site for us that has potential to be our best lot yet!

Pretty pumped. I have yet to fix my pinion seal leak, and instal the swaybars, springs, and shock/struts I picked up but should have it all together and tested before the event.

The tough part is that my tow vehicle(97 2500 GMC truck)is needing some maintance. It's running fine, but I really don't what that thing to leave me stranded with my car on a trailer out in the middle of I don't know where. I think i'm actually doing more $$$$$ on maintanance on the truck than I did for my damn "RACE CAR"! :mad:

#5 ·
rfloz said:
That would be "was", as in our first event was last Sunday.

SoCal's not all bad.:)
Damn.......but isn't there like a "TIME CHANGE" or something between here and Tennessee? :)

Just totalled up the bill on my tow pig truck.......441$. YIKES. O well.....hopefully it'll be reliable enough for another 100,000 miles.

#6 ·
2k2GT said:
The tough part is that my tow vehicle...
Tow vehicle? :confused: What's that. :)

I just moved from HI, where I think they've already had the first event of the year. Here in the DC area the first event isn't until late March, although apparently the Philly Region is running a few events before then as a "winter series". I don't have any race rubber yet or a place to live, so it's probably better that I wait a couple months anyway.

#7 ·
My first event of the season will be a week from this Saturday, the 28th, down in Alabama. I won't have to drive my car though which is a good thing seeing as how the rear seal on the engine is leaking. I also think I have an exhaust leak because it's running rich as hell but throwing a code saying the right bank is running lean.

#8 ·
Parsons said:
My first event of the season will be a week from this Saturday, the 28th, down in Alabama. I won't have to drive my car though which is a good thing seeing as how the rear seal on the engine is leaking. I also think I have an exhaust leak because it's running rich as hell but throwing a code saying the right bank is running lean.
You gonna attend a few E.Tenn events any this year?

#9 ·
I hadn't planned on it. I open track mostly and right now I'm looking at Little Talladega this month. Then Summit Point, Road Atlanta and CMP in March, Roebling Road in April and then back to Little Talladega in May. That's as far as I've gotten in planning the season.

#10 ·
Oh ok.......thats cool. Didn't know if you were more of an autox'r or what.....saw where you were passin' by. ;)

Yea....I like the "tow vehicle" part. It's nice to drive something cofortable when those LOOONG away autox's arise. That and when drag racing.....I have been prone to having rear-end failures. :(

#11 ·
Man, Here in MN we're waitng until May 6th!!!

#14 ·
OOOOOOOh this is a sore spot with me. Lemme preach on it.

Nananananow our people are mealy mouthin round. They canceled our January event citing the site would probably need cleaning first but nobody I've talked to has gone up to check it. Besides this happens every year during cotton season it gets messed up and instead of just paying a contractor $600 to clean a site we get for FREE they rent a sweeper and get a bunch of volunteers to do a halfazz job.

Now rumor has it that we are hosting a 2 day SEDIV event at SGMP that will also count as our first regional event. GO FIGURE! There also seems to be a movement to quit using our free site and try to have all the events at SGMP. SGMP charges rent so we have to double our normal entry fee and try to get an extra 40 - 50 participants to make it happen. It is also a 2 hour drive for most of us instead of a 1 hour drive. Double distance and double entry fee is tuff on this ol dad that has to pay for double entries. (me & daughter)

After that I am told we don't have anything planned and our regular site hasn't been reserved. I also heard the regular site was under new management but nobody said what that meant. It would be easier to swallow if they told us we lost the old site but if they just haven't initiated contact to try to reserve it that sucks.

This kind of slacker attitude seems to be the norm in my region. I was on the BOD and their web guy for a while but I quit. Got sick and tired of begging for info and putting up with people that wouldn't reply to emails or communicate or use common sense.

Whew, I'm done, thanks for giving me a topic to vent on. LOL
Peace Out!

#15 ·
I think most regions feel your pain on "loss of location". We've lost 2 of our prime/frequent spots this year, and it's gonna be tough if we can't get back one our Baseball stadium lots to hold some events on. We have some others, but they are far from me, and the lot is postage stamp size in my opinion, which negates me driving/towing all the way up there just to ride around a course perfect made for a CRX. :(

#16 ·
Yeah, out in Hawaii they've been forced to run at the tiny little road course basically ever since 9/11. The track is on property leased from the state, and the lease runs out in April, so there's been lots of scrambling and wondering what's going to happen. They used to run in the Aloha Stadium lot, which is also state-controlled, and apparently the state has no interest in letting that resume. Before 9/11 they ran on Ford Island (part of the Pearl Harbor Naval Station) - there's a big unused airfield there - but they haven't been allowed back on there since 9/11. There may be a LOT of racers (auto-x, drag racing, SCCA road racing) SOL come April if a new deal isn't created to keep the track open.

Anyway... definitely looking forward to the DC season to get started.

Pat

#17 ·
I'll Jump in my first event here in So. California is with NASA (National Auto Sports Association) the first event is for no points at a track called Willow Springs Raceway in Lancaster, CA. Then in the second week of March is our season opener and first points event at California Speedway, Fontana, CA

I do opentrack racing with the So. Cal. NASA region. I will be running this year in February, March, April, May, June with PCA (Porsche Club Of America) San Diego Region (also own Porsche 944), July (NASA), September (Speed Ventures), November (NASA) and that ends the opentrack season for 2006.

With NASA and Speed Ventures I run my 2001 Modified Mustang GT

I, like you guys can't wait to get back on the road courses its so much fun and you get to meet a lot of great people guys and gals:)

#18 · (Edited)
hey, sandy (a.k.a han solo) ... that divisional isn't the only game around.

there's a jan. 28 event in st. augustine (buccaneer)

a feb. 5 event in gainesville (i might go to that ... i've never raced there, though this event is in the parking lot and not on the track) (http://www.cfrsolo2.com/

and a feb. 12 event at wiregrass! (i'm out of town for that one)

we oughta go to at least one ... how about gainesville? anyone from the corral (like Glenn, who i'd love to meet) plan to be at that one?

#19 ·
Feb 26th in Deland Florida for me.. If I can get the car running smoothly, just did some big motor upgrades, gotta get it tuned correctly.

Stan

#20 ·
I plan on running the solo trials at Gainseville March 4-5. Other than that it's a little too far from here in Daytona. The only events close by are at Deland which is still about a 30 minute drive from me. All the other events are at least an hour to two hours away. I wonder if anyone has tried to geta site at Daytona International Speedway before. That should be a good spot, infield or even in the parking lot. Our regions website said that the grip in the Gainseville parking lot should be better than it is on the track.

I don't know how valid that is because I've never been there, but oh well, it's still a place to race at.

#23 ·
Anybody planning to do any events at the Nashville SuperSpeedway with the www.av8ss.com people?

I don't think the track's schedule is complete or up to date, but they have posted an event to do the "Ro-val" with the racing under the lights.

I also think the Music City Mustang Club will be doing some low-key events at the Speedway as well. ( www.nashvillesuperspeedway.com ) This is a close event for me, 2hr drives.

#24 · (Edited)
2k2GT said:
...which negates me driving/towing all the way up there just to ride around a course perfect made for a CRX. :(
I'm probably more concerned about what our courses will be like than ever. I think our traditional 30 second course with a couple of transitions and three or four 180's will be pretty crappy for a small, low horsepower car. Hard to maintain speed if you never build it up. I want FAST transitions and wide open sweepers.

TR courses would be PERFECT except that danged turnaround.

If you have a small, tight course, it seems that everyone feels like they are at a disadvantage. Power & grip cars don't have the room to use any of their power and the speed maintanence cars don't have any torque to accelerate out of tight turns. If you build a GOOD fast course, most everyone is happy. The speed maintanence guys get to do exactly that and the big cars get to use some HP.:)

#26 ·
markfhp said:
hey, sandy (a.k.a han solo) ... that divisional isn't the only game around.

there's a jan. 28 event in st. augustine (buccaneer)

a jan. 5 event in gainesville (i might go to that ... i've never raced there, though this event is in the parking lot and not on the track) (http://www.cfrsolo2.com/

and a jan. 12 event at wiregrass! (i'm out of town for that one)

we oughta go to at least one ... how about gainesville? anyone from the corral (like Glenn, who i'd love to meet) plan to be at that one?
I have been looking at and considering the jax schedule. They also have a GIR event listed that will probably run the track. I hope they are able to keep all the whitehouse events intact. I've heard the navy gave them very short notice on one cancelation last year like during the event kind of short.

That GIR surface is kinda slick and also tight with any cones on it. I won't ever try running those Goodyear GS-CS tires again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.