Ford Mustang Forums banner

Ordering question on supercharger kits >

617 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Pull_T 
#1 · (Edited)
I am getting close to making my purchase of an SC-Trim with cooler for my 98 Cobra, but had a few questions about the packaging of the kit.

There are several pieces included that I will not being using since I am upgrading to other parts from the start: FMU, T-Rex, intake tubing, Superchip. When I order this from a vendor, will I be able to get the kit without those items perhaps saving some money by not including them?

Thanks for the help.

- todd

#2 ·
Nope, all that stuff is in the kit (one box) so they really can't open up the package, remove items and then give you a discount.

The superchip doesn't even come in the box, just a coupon for it. Get the kit, get your free superchip chip and then see if you can sell any of the 'extras' you end up with. I sold my t-rex and my superchip chip since I no longer needed them.

Tom Crews

#3 ·
tcrews said:
Nope, all that stuff is in the kit (one box) so they really can't open up the package, remove items and then give you a discount.

The superchip doesn't even come in the box, just a coupon for it. Get the kit, get your free superchip chip and then see if you can sell any of the 'extras' you end up with. I sold my t-rex and my superchip chip since I no longer needed them.

Tom Crews
OK, a question, when I send off for my Superchip, do I have to get one programmed for my application, or can I get one set up for say a buddy's n/a GT and then pawn it off to him?

#4 ·
I really can't remember what the sheet looks like but it's at a minimum going to be programmed for a supercharged Cobra. You are allowed a few mods (catback and headers I think) and you fill out the form and send it in.

Just get the chip and sell it to your friend. He can send it to Superchips (or any superchips programmer) and have it reprogrammed for his mods. Usually it's the chip the cost the most and reburns aren't so bad.

Tom Crews

#5 ·
Pull_T said:
OK, a question, when I send off for my Superchip, do I have to get one programmed for my application, or can I get one set up for say a buddy's n/a GT and then pawn it off to him?
Tom was right, the voucher for your kit will specify an ECM module for a 96-98 Cobra. However, I was surprised to learn from customer service this afternoon when I called that you can request an unprogrammed alternate chip. The rep offered to substitute the Superchip with an Autologic module. Interesting, eh?

BTW, I guess they allow you to fax your voucher in (and they don't require the original in order to expedite the shipment).

Good luck,
Brian

#6 ·
MystCobra965 said:

Tom was right, the voucher for your kit will specify an ECM module for a 96-98 Cobra. However, I was surprised to learn from customer service this afternoon when I called that you can request an unprogrammed alternate chip. The rep offered to substitute the Superchip with an Autologic module. Interesting, eh?
This is great news. Autologic is prolly what I will be going with. :joy:

#7 ·
Todd,

Just for your info, it was Jamie in customer service who I spoke with at Vortech yesterday.

Good luck,
Brian

#8 ·
BTW the 98 stock Vortech kit is different from the 96-97 kit. Since the 98 came stock with a 190 intank, the kit only adds a 155 inline, no T rex. If you want a noisy T Rex, order the 96-97 kit.

If I were doing it again, and if I were staying near the 400-450 RW range (who does?), I would add the 255 intank, and just forget about an inline. The 255 intank is plenty for the 400-450 RW range. (and if it needed help, I'd just put a BAP on it).

#9 ·
Ralph Greene said:
BTW the 98 stock Vortech kit is different from the 96-97 kit. Since the 98 came stock with a 190 intank, the kit only adds a 155 inline, no T rex. If you want a noisy T Rex, order the 96-97 kit.

If I were doing it again, and if I were staying near the 400-450 RW range (who does?), I would add the 255 intank, and just forget about an inline. The 255 intank is plenty for the 400-450 RW range. (and if it needed help, I'd just put a BAP on it).

Man, you guys are good, you answer my questions before they are asked. (What is the difference between 96/97 and 98 kits).

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll be back with more later I'd be willing to bet. :D

- todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.