Ford Mustang Forums banner

Suggest me some nice handling strut/shock/spring combo for my daily driver...

1K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  svtruck 
#1 ·
I'm really looking into getting some Bilsteins for my 1993 5.0L. I want to change out the springs as well. What is the best matching springs for the Bilsteins for my daily driver.

I will have longtubes and I don't want my car slammed. Any suggestions or pics?

#5 ·
TOTALLY off the subject, but ... jeostang, i'd never checked out your 1991 LX before ... zounds, what a neat-looking car!

#9 · (Edited)
What's the ride like with those springs and shocks? Did you have to roll the rear wheel well lip for the 275's? I'm running on my car (91 hatch), "C" springs and tokico 5 way's, poly bushing thru-out everything, 18" wheels, 245/35 (front) and 265/35 (rear), and have been thinking about going to the H&R springs with Bilstien struts and shocks. Here's a pic of mine from last spring after the new brakes and wheels were put on:

#10 ·
Yeah I was thinking of H&R springs (but which ones for good ride quality...i'm picky) and matching bilsteins. Suggestions? Which ones?

Thanks for the pic...I hope they will look similar with "small" ponies that I still have.

#11 ·
5spd GT said:
Yeah I was thinking of H&R springs (but which ones for good ride quality...i'm picky) and matching bilsteins. Suggestions? Which ones?
I guess it would all depend on what you want the car to be or do afterwards. Have you gone to Maximum Motorsports page (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/onlinecat-asp.asp) or H&R (http://www.hrsprings.com/site/index.html), I personally am going to look at the H&R super sport springs, just the right amount of drop I'm looking for.
5spd GT said:
Thanks for the pic...I hope they will look similar with "small" ponies that I still have.
There used to be a company that made 17 inch ponies, I haven't heard or seen anything about them in quite awhile though.

#12 ·
I have a complete Bullitt setup in mine. Got it used from a guy on the Bullitt forums, with very low mileage. It rides great and handles very well for a "budget" setup. Also, it does not lower the car like a lot of the aftermarket springs do. I would not hesitate to recommend a Bullitt setup for a daily driver.

#13 ·
I'm not going to be getting bigger ponies...I was just curious what it would look like with my current ponies on there.

Well they have race, super race, sport, and super sport springs. What is best matched for the Bilsteins strut rating?

#14 ·
The H&R race and bilstiens drop the car about an inch, and the ride is a bit stiff but I like it like that. I wanted to get H&R Super Race but I'll probably be going to coil over in the next year.

I'll post a pic shortly.

#15 ·
Thanks,

What is the best lb rating for the springs that match the Bilstein's for better ride comfort and overall good matching?

#18 ·
What is the best lb rating for the springs that match the Bilstein's for better ride comfort and overall good matching?

#20 ·
Below are some pictures of my '89 with bilstiens and H&R race in front and 360-390 torque arm springs in the rear (the rear race springs had a near identical drop). The guys at MM stated the race springs and bilstiens were an excellent match and many people on here will support that. It's firm but streetable, in my opinion. I've got poly throughout the suspension, and more than anything else, that increased the NVH.

I've got 245/45-17's all around but autox with 16 x 8's. The front fenders needed rolled due to the "0" offset of the wheels.

#21 ·
Thanks for the pic:)

I need something that doesn't drop it so much but it still a good match? Suggestions? Which H&R's (seems the race are a bit to 'droppy' for me).

#22 ·
I JUST UPGRADED MY FRONT END TO A TUBULAR K MEMBER AND COIL OVER KIT AND CAMBER CASTERS . I WENT WITH THE LAKEWOOD 70/30S AND A 14" 300LB SPRING . AND THE CAR HANDLES GREAT ON THE STREET I WAS VERY PLEASED WITH THE ADJUSTABL RIDE HEIGHT AND TOTAL OVER ALL HANDING AND PERFORMANCE

#23 · (Edited)
Another vote for the Bilsteins, although I opted for the FRPP "C" springs. I bet H&R's are nicer though after having rode in a Fox with them and Konis.

footnote-for anyone considering MM's rear coilover on a Fox w/Bilsteins, you have to use the Sn95 Bilsteins for the kit to work. MM states that the regular Fox Bilstein isn't up to the task of their rear coil-over kit

#24 ·
#25 ·
I think you need to figure out what your goals are. If you want a nice "cushy" ride on the street, stick with your stock setup or just get the Bullitt suspension kit as suggested above.

Most every aftermarket coil spring set you're going to find is going to lower the car somewhat. The H&R Race springs only lower the car 1" which is about the smallest lowering of all the aftermarket springs. The race springs have a higher spring rate however and they do ride stiff - I have them in my Cobra coupe.

But like I said, what are your goals with the car?

Just street use? Autocross?

If you just want the Bilsteins...you can run those with your stock springs.

#26 ·
svtruck - If you look in the title of the thread it says "daily driver";)

I want a decent ride...not where it feels like I'm bottoming out. I have B Springs currently with worn out shocks/strust right now. I want Bilsteins...but want a decent ride on the springs. I know they are all going to drop it but I don't want it slammed. Something like the pic above or higher is what I need. Longtubes will be on the the car eventually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.