Ford Mustang Forums banner

Looking at a 95 Lightning....

2K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Mike Gager 
#1 ·
its got March pullies, some 1 3/4" L/T's, and a full exhaust....The rest is stock...Less than 100K on the odometer...

Any input at all? Good trucks? Dependable? Relatively easy to make quick? Hows the aftermarket (suspension and drivetrain wise), etc.... :)

Thanks,

-Will

#2 ·
i got a 95 myself and i love it..good for hauling/towing, dependable and pretty quick for the few mods it has
the aftermarket is only so-so for the truck though. you can hop up the engine pretty easy just a like a 5.0 but the suspension and drivetrain aftermarket is rather slow.
its gettin harder to find one thats not a piece of crap though, which is kinda why i hate to sell mine..but when you need the money the toys gotta go
if you got any questions feel free to PM me, ill help you anyway i can

#5 ·
No maf they're EEC IV speed density,19# injectors,iron GT40 heads.Mines been real reliable so far 113k miles(Rebuilt at 100k when i did a head/cam swap)

Heres a link to the best gen1 FAQ on the net
http://www.thebaskins.com/faq.htm

NLOC.net forums is also a good resource

#12 · (Edited)
The tranny's are pretty tough mines stock other than an aftermarket valvebody running like new with 113k miles and hundreds of 1/4 mile passes.They're are at least a few guys in the 11s running stock tranny's.

Mass air conversions aren't cheap(Because the e4od is controlled by the computer).Do a bunch of research befor you bite the bullet on that one.The stock computers pretty good seen many people convert and run slower.I'm doing the Tweecer/wideband setup cheaper and it gives me more control.

#13 ·
I just sold a 95-L with 76K actual miles on it. I really did like the truck, but I saw the gas price thing coming, and since I have wanted a Cobra for a long time, I sold my L and bought a 94 low miles Cobra.
My truck was unmolested, but I put underdrives on it. It ran great, and had tons of power. I got about 11mpg in town though.
These trucks are overall tough as nails. I have a friend that has 165K on his 95, and has ran NOS on it for several years, and it is still going strong.
IMHO view, if you are looking for a really tough fun truck and don't mind the mileage, get a Lightning. Not too bad of an investment either, though they haven't appreciated like I had anticipated.

#15 ·
Matt95L,

If I don't do a MAF swap, how would I go about bumping up the injector size? I've got some 24's laying around, but I can't throw em in there on the stock computer.....at least I wouldn't think I could lol....Also, when you say "aftermarket valvebody", what do you mean? Just a "better, more crisp" one, or a full manual?

slowboy,

Details on the fan?

-Will

#18 ·
you can probably get away with putting in 24s without a chip though there isnt much point unless your doing other mods (heads, cam) at the same time then of course yould probably need a chip anyways

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.