Ford Mustang Forums banner

IAC, do they go out? ever?

426 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  95GT50 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever experienced their IAC going "bad" on an SN95. I have been having numerous problems with my car idling (with a Speedbrain computer), and it is appearing as though the IAC on my 95 might be bad.

It seems like no matter what I do to the car, it will not find a steady idle most of the time. No matter how wide I open the IAC screw, the car falls back to idle VERY fast after pushing in the clutch, and nearly stalls. Also, within the Speedbrain, I have done some datalogging at idle. It shows the IAC position as a percentage of how far open it is (I think), and across the entire datalog (all of the ones I've done), it reads 0. Everyone I've talked to says it should be reading at LEAST something. I have adjusted the IAC screw to various locations, and it STILL reads 0. So it's not something where I've got the IAC screw open too far and the IAC itself is staying closed to compensate. Also, I now have the screw nearly completely closed. This is the only place it would find an idle.

I'd appreciate any input. I don't want to buy a new IAC ($80) if I don't need it, but have no problems purchasing one if it's the problem.

#2 ·
Yes, they go bad. They are notorious for being very dirty but you are not suppost to cean them, just replace them. Does it change the idle if it is completely unplugged? it may be stuck due to buildup.

#3 ·
The car tries to completely stall when I unplug it, or at least it did before I tried cleaning it. BTW, I've cleaned it once before (about a year ago), but it didn't seem to give me any problems with the stock computer. I guess I'll just try replacing it, and see if that resolves the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.