Ford Mustang Forums banner

Dart 351 iron block weight

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  87stang!! 
#1 ·
As the title states I am interested in the Dart 351 iron block weight. If there are any members on this forum with this block installed in their car I'd like to know how much of a difference it made when taking corners.

Did you feel or notice the car handling worse after the install, or did Aluminum heads level out the weight difference when compared to a 302? I am wanting to know because I am interested in purchasing an Aluminum 351 dart block or Boss 351 block if weight really makes that much of a difference.

I see that the Saleen Mustang S351's with a stock iron block 351 only weigh around 3020 pounds with the stock k-member. My car is a 1995 GT that weighs around 3200 pounds without me in it.

Please convince me to save my money and get the iron block.

#4 ·
I was looking at the SHP Blocks, looking for a good base for 427+ stroker.

However I'm going to be totally honest in that I have no idea which block would be better suited for a 427+ stroker. I see 2 choices between 351C and 351W style, and then they have different specifications for each.

Initially I was looking for an Aluminum 351 block, because I liked the idea of being lighter and more compact than a Coyote engine. However, if I can save $2k and invest that money into more horsepower than I will do that instead.

#5 ·
Sorry, that's my bad.

I was looking at the SHP blocks, and I noticed the tech sheet says 195 pounds. Is there a difference in iron block weight vs the other two blocks, iron eagle and sportsman? I see they have different deck heights for the 351.

I just want to make sure I purchase the correct block for my goals. Light weight is a big concern for me as I like to have a good handling car for the road as my car isn't going to be a dedicated drag car. I want the car to make street-able pump gas horsepower, without handling too much like a boat.

I really wanted to see if other people can actually feel the added weight of the block on the front end of the car as opposed to a 302 based block. Basically, if the extra weight is no big deal for decent handling on the street then I've got nothing to be worried about purchasing an iron block.

Sorry for the confusion and long post. Horsepower goals for this engine will be at least 550rwhp to 600 rwhp on pump gas so hopefully the SHP block can achieve that reliably.

#6 ·
There is a huge weight difference between a stock 302 block and a 9.5 deck shp block. Not to mention all the other weight that will be added. Crank weighs another 25-30 lbs, rods weigh more, pistons weigh more. Yes the other dart blocks do weigh a little more due to more cast iron in the block in certain areas. The shp will handle all the hp you can make, so thats not an issue. Your going to be atleast 150 lbs heavier with a dart 427 versus a stock 302. If you want aluminum and the cheaper of the 2, use a Z351 ford 9.5 block.

#8 ·
I really do want to purchase the 351 SHP block. I'm looking at prices right now, and the 302 and 351 SHP blocks seem to have almost the exact same price. Now if I could build a 363 that makes 500 rwhp N/A on pump gas without running it on the ragged edge then I'd do that instead. I just don't know if 500 rwhp is possible in 363 cubic inches without revving past 7200 rpms.

The Z351 has a decent price, but that's still $2k that could be put aside for heads or a rotating assembly. I'll just have to think a bit more about it before I make a decision.

#9 ·
The Track Boss is a very nice piece. I wouldn't mind building an all Aluminum Cleveland. As a matter of fact I'm building a Cobra Jet 351 Cleveland right now, but it's going to be mostly original except for the camshaft which is custom, headers, intake, and carb.

Unfortunately the Track Boss is a little bit over my budget right now.

#10 ·
If you go with a tubular k member, as well as coil overs and some lighter wheels up front you can get closer to having similar weight in the front vs a stock 8.2 deck block.

The only handling difference you’re going to notice, is how much more ass your car hauls.

Sn95s, for the most part, aren’t going to win a whole lot of road course races anyways. The extra $3000 is better spent elsewhere IMO.

#12 ·
The only handling difference you’re going to notice, is how much more ass your car hauls.
This...

Going from a 5.0 to a 7.0 is going to be so different, the extra weight up front will be the last thing you notice. The bigger concerns will be hood clearance, header fitment, and drivetrain durability.

I'm not sure what you have for suspension now, but upgrades from the likes of Maximum Motorsports can address any issues in that department as well.

Reactions: pkstang
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.