Ford Mustang Forums banner

450 whp 302?

4K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  russ3747 
#1 ·
I’ve got a 79 Mustang I wanna build as another drag car but I wanna keep this one a stock bore/stroke 302.. the goal is a 10 sec N/A pass. What I’ve got to work with is a good stock block, a stock crank and main girdle, a set of stock 89 mustang rods with ARP bolts and old school set of sealed power forged -18cc dome pistons. I’ve got Holley Systemax heads (stud mount rockers) with a 163cc intake runner 61cc chamber and 1.90/1.54 valves.. should be between 12.7:1 and 13.7:1 depending on the Head gasket I use. Parker Funnel intake and a 650dp carb. Here’s where it gets tricky, I’ve got a couple cams to choose from an X303, F303 an HO, and all 3 TF cams. Wanting to shift it at 7200. Anyone have advice on which cam would make what? Going with a C4 and a 48-52 converter probably a 4.10 or a 3.73 gear.

#2 ·
I'm not seeing anywhere near 10sor 450 whp with what's listed.

You'd really need a stroker N/A, to do it with a 302 would take a custom ground solid roller cam with a sick set of heads and springs to match.

Theres alot of blower cars barely making those numbers... with better heads.

#3 ·
You’re looking at like 300hp there.

Those heads won’t get you close to your goal. You need way better heads and lots of rpm to hit anywhere close to 450whp. Most likely won’t be getting there with a hydraulic roller either.

#5 ·
As said, never happen with those heads, those are way way way too small. They probably flow well under 250cfm, those are old style OEM port/valve designed, small heads.

The high compression and rpm is needed to get there, those are good goals. But the induction parts will have to be capable of flowing 300cfm to hit that power level, with a matched cam and valve springs etc. Do more research, don't use any of those OTS cams for that kind of NA build. I'd keep the HO cam, and sell the rest to people slapping together a cheap build.

#6 ·
Back in 2011 I had an stock Explorer 302 with Holley 1.90 systemax heads , systemax intake and HR camshaft. Best run was 11.28 @ 2800 lbs thru an AOD. Not that far off from your goal !!

Reactions: 2dxtrm
#8 ·
I think you have 2 different goals here. 450 whp and a 10 sec pass. 450 probably isn't happening with those parts as mentioned. But if you weigh 2400 lbs you might get a 10 second pass.

#9 ·
It doesn't take 450 to the wheels to run a 10.9x slip. In a moderately light car with an efficient chassis you need about 350 whp.

Your parts in a normal backyard build are probably good for upper 200s whp give or take. Your list of parts in the hands of a pro race engine builder could make much more.

I am not sure what feedback you are looking for. It is unlikely any of those cams you have will want 7000 rpm shift points and your stock 50 oz imbalance crank and 2 bolt block aren't the hot ticket for that either.

Either put what you got together and have fun with it or spent lots more money and build a proper race engine.

One last note, don't expect your 12.7 - 13.7:1 engine to run on pump gas that is 110 leaded territory.

#12 ·
It "could" happen but not for very long, and can turn into a safety issue. That's all I'm gonna say about it. Yes I've been faster with similar setup but without the carburetor (mechanical injection) and no it didn't last very long and yes the car was crashed

#13 ·
302 (5.0) blocks aren't going to like that power level and eventually will split. You'd be better off finding a junkyard 351W. Make the car as light as possible. You can find plenty of used parts on the classifieds section to build a 425-450 fwhp 351w that will do what you want, and last a lot longer.

#15 ·
As others have said, the chassis is where you need to start to make your 10 second pass...stripped drag car?

Your combo leaves a lot to be desired in order to put down the number too, but not just in the induction...7200 rpm with high compression and the stock rods/crank/block is a recipe that will be short lived.

#16 ·
I am not a N2O guy but sounds like you are a 150-200 shot from a where you want to be.

I hope I am wrong post up he it runs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.