Ford Mustang Forums banner

1991 Mustang Drone

3K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Patrick Olsen 
#1 ·
Just got back from a trip from Dallas to Austin and my ears are numb!

I have "Dynomax Super Turbo" mufflers on the car which are supposed to be quiet.

Well they droned like hell.

I read that "Dynomax VT" mufflers were the way to go for no drone, but they no longer make them.

So what muffler can I get on this car that won't drone like crazy?

Car is completely stock except for the mufflers. The only reason I got new mufflers is because the original ones rusted through and didn't pass inspection.

#2 ·
#7 ·
if the mufflers are the same size they will drone

the stock ones were different sizes for this reason

I have the VTs still in the box, and stock, 2.25" replacements, they are different sizes

or make resonators

#10 ·
I'd love to get stock replacements but of course they haven't been made in forever. That was why I got the aftermarket ones.

Do the 96-98 cobra mufflers fit fairly well? I have a GT so I guess I'd need to weld the pipes on the back that turn down?

#17 ·
Longtubes won't work in texas, because of annual checks.

#23 ·
Corsa certainly works great for drone reduction while still sounding awesome when you get on it. I have a Corsa cat-back on my 1st gen CTS-V and absolutely love it. AFAIK you can only buy complete Corsa exhaust systems; I've never seen just mufflers for sale. I suppose you could buy a system for some other car and scavenge just the mufflers, but that would be damn expensive.

#25 ·
I bought the Corsa mufflers back then. I tested them back-to-back against my Magnaflows using an SPL meter. They reduced drone by 0dB. I still have them, beautiful mufflers, but they drone the same on my 427W as they did on the 306.

They sound like Magnaflow because they are perf-tube straight through mufflers, just like Magnaflow and others. With an H-pipe I've had people run over to my car after a run to complement the sound of my car. Now with the 3" Prochamber on the 427W (tapered to 2.5" after the 3" flow tubes to keep velocity up and sound down), it still sounds good to me although the fairly wild cam and higher compression tend to dominate the sound of the car.

#26 ·
After combing over the Summit selection of Walker Quiet Flow mufflers I found some 2.5" inlet/outlet versions for those last couple of HP's

21762 (.25" taller than OE)
21548 (says aluminized steel on the Summit site and SS on Amazon)

Only a 1" diff in case size compared to the 2" OE difference from side to side.

#27 ·
Stock engine with long tube headers T5 373 and flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers with tails. No drone.

I remember other cars with the same cat back and shorts and it was like a drone bugle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.